Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I took me a while, but... Do I Look Like I Give a F***...
Yep. Do I really care if any of those fans want to 'choke me out'? Because I don't.

And I don't hate McNabb, I actually think he is a nice guy and a guy that I would probably like off the field but I just don't think he is a great QB nor do I think he will ever become one. His leadership has always been questionable, he has never really taken charge of anything instead he was always the goofball who lightened the mood and while that is great on occassion, when you're missing wide open targets and having players running wrong routes that is not a time to smile and laugh and say "We'll get it soon *insert joke*." And what made him special earlier in his career was his arm strength and his mobility, his mechanics as far as pocket prescence and patience were never really there and now that his legs are getting older his old style of play isn't really working anymore. Toss in his fading arm strength and mobility to a wildy inaccurate arm and he is slowly fading into mediocrity.

I know some will point at this season and say that "He is coming off of a career year" well that is great and all but the numbers don't really tell the entire story, he had the most weapons of his entire career at his disposal and he still BARELY did better than any year he had with those mediocre weapons. And what you didn't see were all those deep balls that were off target but DeSean Jackson adjusted, there were multiple occassions where DeSean Jackson had to stop to catch the ball. I just think he is fading and that he isn't getting better and that no matter who the Eagles put at QB they're not winning a superbowl next year, but I think the sooner Kolb gets in and the more experience he gets the closer the Eagles will get.

I am not pulling all this Kolb stuff out of thin air, I'm not making stuff up (aside from an interception that I forgot). All you have to do is look at his games to see that Kevin Kolb has the arm strength to at least get the job done, I would say he is above average in that area he doesn't have a cannon like McNabb once had but Kolb has more than enough arm strength. His accuracy while spotty was more consistent than McNabb's he had a 64.5% completion rate in two games he started, he missed a few crossing patters specifically to Jeremy Maclin and Brian Westbrook but other than a few errors he was very accurate. And all sources say he is mobile enough to create time, he is a leader and he is intelligent all you have to do is read up about what Andy Reid says about him and what the report says about him to see that. Like I said he still forces throws on occassion but he has improved in that area a lot.

I just don't think McNabb can win it and that he is fading and I think Kolb is an ascending talent who is only going to get better. And I think that Kolb is going to do good things with the young players just because he seems like he is more of a business guy and that he is their age and there isn't a generation gap. Plus in light of the report you might be able to make the conclusion that he is a respected player in the lockerroom and that the younger players listen to him.

I don't hate McNabb but I am sick of seeing the other team win in clutch games and it is due in part to McNabb's inability to cope with clutch sitations and his inconsistency with his accuracy. I appreciate what McNabb did, he was a good QB for the entire decade but at this point I think Kolb is ready to take over and that eventually Kolb is going to have more success than McNabb in terms of postseason success. This is just my opinion.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What makes Kolb clutch?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
What makes Kolb clutch?
Did I say he was? I'm saying that judging by his intelligence and leadership skills I think that he may become more clutch than McNabb. I think Kolb's demeanor is better suited for tough situations than McNabb's goofy demeanor is. Is it true? That remains to be seen but for reasons I stated I think Kolb has the potential to be much better than McNabb in that area of the game.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the eagles do get ride of McNabb, and end up getting a first round pick.

I think they should try and get Clausen if he falls and they are in range, either with the first round pick they got or move up somehow. Why not keep the pressure on Kolb to preform? And if Kolb fails you have someone waiting and ready to try.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
If the eagles do get ride of McNabb, and end up getting a first round pick.

I think they should try and get Clausen if he falls and they are in range, either with the first round pick they got or move up somehow. Why not keep the pressure on Kolb to preform? And if Kolb fails you have someone waiting and ready to try.
Because A. McNabb has little value on the trade market, aging player with fading skills and a full injury history and B. spending top picks on back-ups is stupid. And if the Eagles were going to get Juimmy Clausen they would have to be very high in the draft and there is absolutely no way the Eagles would pay that much money towards a back-up nor would they even be able to get him. Personally I like Sean Canfield as a back-up QB with potential kind of guy that can be had in the 3rd-4th rounds, but his stock might pass that and become a 2nd rounder.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Because A. McNabb has little value on the trade market, aging player with fading skills and a full injury history and B. spending top picks on back-ups is stupid. And if the Eagles were going to get Juimmy Clausen they would have to be very high in the draft and there is absolutely no way the Eagles would pay that much money towards a back-up nor would they even be able to get him. Personally I like Sean Canfield as a back-up QB with potential kind of guy that can be had in the 3rd-4th rounds, but his stock might pass that and become a 2nd rounder.
There is about as much garentee that Clausen goes high as there was for Brady Quinn. I think it is almost certain that the Rams don't take him and fairly certain that the Skins don't take him so that leaves the Seahawks till he falls to the Panthers then out of the first round.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
There is about as much garentee that Clausen goes high as there was for Brady Quinn. I think it is almost certain that the Rams don't take him and fairly certain that the Skins don't take him so that leaves the Seahawks till he falls to the Panthers then out of the first round.
Clausen won't fall out of the first. If he falls past the top 15, someone will trade back into the first round or trade up if they're a team that's picking later (Vikings?) to get him.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Clausen won't fall out of the first. If he falls past the top 15, someone will trade back into the first round or trade up if they're a team that's picking later (Vikings?) to get him.
Oh yeah forgot about the Vikings. But I'm not really all that impressed with Clausen the more I look at him.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Oh yeah forgot about the Vikings. But I'm not really all that impressed with Clausen the more I look at him.
I'm about to defend two ND players in one day. I'm sorry, Michigan God.

7:1 TD:INT ratio, 8.76 ypa, 68% accuracy in a pro-style offense. What, exactly, is there not to like?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

7:1 TD:INT ratio, 8.76 ypa, 68% accuracy in a pro-style offense. What, exactly, is there not to like?
I will have to get back to you.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is so much fail in this thread that it actually makes me come back every time I see a new post.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

seems to me that Golden Tate has a lot to do with Clausen's success

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Most of those throws could have been caught by a JV WR. It could also easily be switched around to say that Clausen had a lot to do with Tate's success.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Most of those throws could have been caught by a JV WR. It could also easily be switched around to say that Clausen had a lot to do with Tate's success.
I'm looking mostly at the longer throws. Tate has to make many adjustments on longer routs. Long ball accuracy was one of the major kisses of death to Brady Quinn.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Kramer
Veteran

Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think we should keep McNabb, and at least let him play out his contract. How many other teams in the league have had more consistency from their QB for over a decade like us? While we haven't won any superbowls, McNabb definitely isn't fully responsible. For years it was because we didn't have enough playmakers on offense, and now our defense is our weakness. Right now I think McNabb is the better QB than Kevin Kolb and is the better answer for winning a superbowl next year.

I have always been a huge McNabb supporter, and would be very upset if they trade him. While Kolb is a great piece, we aren't a rebuilding team, just very young. Let McNabb play out his contract and get another shot at winning the Eagles their first superbowl. If that doesn't happen, than move on to Kolb.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Every single Eagles fan should read this article written by Tommy Lawlor.

http://www.scoutsnotebook.com/module...=11882#118 82

It is a fantastic piece on who the Eagles should keep, McNabb or Kolb and pretty much everything is analyzed and all situations are accounted for.

This part stands out to me because I think alot of Eagles fans want to take the safe route and keep McNabb, they're scared of switching things up.
Quote:
The Eagles have a hard decision to make no matter how you look at it. There is risk involved. Drew Bledsoe was a sacred cow for the Pats back in 2001 when he got hurt. Tom Brady stepped in and never gave the job back. Drew had some success in Buffalo and Dallas, but wasn't a special QB anymore. Jim Kelly was a veteran QB in the mid 90s who started to lose his A-game. The Bills let go of him and gave the job to their young guy, Todd Collins. Todd sat for 2 years, prepping for his chance. He struggled as a starter and was off the team following that year. The Bills have been looking for a QB ever since. Getting rid of a franchise QB can be a dangerous thing, but other times it is the right thing to do.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Who said it is working? McNabb statistically had a good season but if you actually look at his play he had one of his worst seasons, a 45% completion rate in the redzone, 8 touchdowns and 5 interceptions on the six game win streak and was 13/35 in the second half of the final two regular season games. And his performance against Dallas was atrocious.

If it isn't broken already it is clearly starting to stutter and backfire.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who said it is working? McNabb statistically had a good season but if you actually look at his play he had one of his worst seasons, a 45% completion rate in the redzone, 8 touchdowns and 5 interceptions on the six game win streak and was 13/35 in the second half of the final two regular season games. And his performance against Dallas was atrocious.

If it isn't broken already it is clearly starting to stutter and backfire.
Two words: play calling.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
Two words: play calling.
Please elaborate. Playcalling has nothing to do with the fact that he is inaccurate and has happy feet.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Quote:
Please elaborate. Playcalling has nothing to do with the fact that he is inaccurate and has happy feet.
Well when we pass 80% of the time it allows defenses to just blitz and play the pass which leads to McNabb being pressured and wide receivers being covered down field which leads to bad numbers.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
How about the consistent deep routes someone kept calling against the dallas D? Even though they were not working.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Yeah the play calling sucked but we can't just say McNabb you're excused because Andy Reid calls too many pass plays, he is this supposed top QB in the NFL and he can't handle a pass heavy gameplan? Even after all these years? Bad playcalling still doesn't explain his horrible accuracy, happy feet, checkdowns etc. etc. and he had more than enough time the first time around, MORE than enough to make plays. Bad playcalling doesn't excuse all those times he didn't see Avant open or the time where he had a bad throw for Maclin and a couple times where he missed a wide open DeSean Jackson.

And did any of you actually read that?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

I give you the the dirt balls and bad accuracy but you are making him seem like he is Jabust Russel.

I still think there is trade value in McNabb, now that Qbs play longer and he doesn't have any outstanding injury concerns, you can still get a 1st round pick. Or like 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

I just think Kolb is not much than a glorified backup.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yeah the play calling sucked but we can't just say McNabb you're excused because Andy Reid calls too many pass plays, he is this supposed top QB in the NFL and he can't handle a pass heavy gameplan? Even after all these years? Bad playcalling still doesn't explain his horrible accuracy, happy feet, checkdowns etc. etc. and he had more than enough time the first time around, MORE than enough to make plays. Bad playcalling doesn't excuse all those times he didn't see Avant open or the time where he had a bad throw for Maclin and a couple times where he missed a wide open DeSean Jackson.

And did any of you actually read that?
I'm about to defend McNabb to an Eagle's fan I think this is the first sign of the appocolyps.

Terrible playcalling explains all those things.

Lets see if we can dissect each one.

80% pass play calls -> high % blitz plays by opposing D's -> QB hit many times -> less time to throw -> checkdowns, happy feet, and missing Avant on your progressions (my guess is that Jason Avant wasn't the primary target many times) -> poor throwing mechanics (not able to plant your feet etc) -> poor accuracy .

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote: