Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

News, fresh from today!

Rumor: a guy on blackandgold.net, has reported that a SAFETY will be SIGNED tommorow and announced! this guy also reported that Vanderjagt will be visting us exactly on Tuesday...he reported this a WEEK BEFORE it happened...he seems legit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Johnson: His agent and Johnson himself, think he is a *perfect* fit with the Saints....encouraging that is!

link is here... http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...s/16841654.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shefter (NFL Network), has reported that Dre' Bly wants to be traded from Denver...and that the Saints are trying to ACQUIRE him AGAIN!
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
Shefter (NFL Network), has reported that Dre' Bly wants to be traded from Denver...and that the Saints are trying to ACQUIRE him AGAIN!
I've heard this too. I heard we offered a 4th rounder for him, which would not be bad, but the reason he wants out of Denver is because Washington offered him a new contract. I don't think we would do the same.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on Vanderjagt. I know that he was a solid kicker for several years, but I don't know, there's something about him that I'm not entirely sold on. I would like to think that the Saints re-sign Billy Cundiff and then either bring back Connor Hughes or get a kicker late in the draft or signing an undrafted free agent to compete for the starting job.
Those are my feelings as well, Vanderjagt seemed to have lost all confidence last season..on his way toward being cut mid season to be replaced by Martin Gramatica.

I think a better option would be looking in the late rounds and at undrafted FA's to find a future kicker. Kickers like Robbie Gould went undrafted, Josh Brown was found in the 7th round.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Those are my feelings as well, Vanderjagt seemed to have lost all confidence last season..on his way toward being cut mid season to be replaced by Martin Gramatica.

I think a better option would be looking in the late rounds and at undrafted FA's to find a future kicker. Kickers like Robbie Gould went undrafted, Josh Brown was found in the 7th round.
I know that some mock drafts have us getting Colorado kicker Mason Crosby as early as the second or third round. I feel that this would be entirely too high for any kicker, especially since we still have needs at other positions that could be addressed. If he's available in the fourth round, then maybe I'd be okay with taking him, since we do have three fourth round selections, but not in day one.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welcome to the board Stoopid512 and thanks for the info :)

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There's a Q&A with Simmons up on Neworleanssaints.com: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3349

He comes off as a really good person, and a guy who could bring some leadership and focus to our defense.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
mpt117
Rookie

mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just a quick question for all you guys...why are you guys looking at a safety in free agency when you guys has 2 young safetys in josh bullocks and roman harper? you have decent backups too with omar stoutmire and bryan scott, and special teamer steve gleason. just a question from an outside fan because second string LB Alfred Fincher is from my hometown and went to my high school and would really like to see him get a chance to play...he was supposed to start last year than simoneau took his spot after the trade which made me mad haha...
mpt117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt117 View Post
just a quick question for all you guys...why are you guys looking at a safety in free agency when you guys has 2 young safetys in josh bullocks and roman harper? you have decent backups too with omar stoutmire and bryan scott, and special teamer steve gleason. just a question from an outside fan because second string LB Alfred Fincher is from my hometown and went to my high school and would really like to see him get a chance to play...he was supposed to start last year than simoneau took his spot after the trade which made me mad haha...
To answer your questions.

- We are looking for a safety primarily because Payton is a coach that believes NO one simply gets handed the starting spot. (like Haslett did) Everyone has to earn their roster spot, which is why he's bringing in competition. Josh Bullocks has talent, but he really played poorly last season at times last season biting on playaction fakes, and abandoning his deep zone to jump shorter routes. Harper looked to be a stud, but he's coming off ACL surgery and might not be completely ready.

Also both of our back up safeties Bellamy, and Stoutmire are Free agents and probably won't be returning.

- Fincher was mostly buried on the depth chart this season, and contributed on special teams. I think the signing of Simmons hurts his chances.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
mpt117
Rookie

mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mpt117 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
To answer your questions.

- We are looking for a safety primarily because Payton is a coach that believes NO one simply gets handed the starting spot. (like Haslett did) Everyone has to earn their roster spot, which is why he's bringing in competition. Josh Bullocks has talent, but he really played poorly last season at times last season biting on playaction fakes, and abandoning his deep zone to jump shorter routes. Harper looked to be a stud, but he's coming off ACL surgery and might not be completely ready.

Also both of our back up safeties Bellamy, and Stoutmire are Free agents and probably won't be returning.

- Fincher was mostly buried on the depth chart this season, and contributed on special teams. I think the signing of Simmons hurts his chances.
alright man thanks a lot for helpin me with me question
mpt117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Bullocks and Harper do look really, really good, but a little depth can't hurt. Dion Grant or Ken Hamlin would be pretty nice additions to any team.

I'd also love it if Eric Johnson ended up in New Orleans. This guy is incredibly underrated, but was a consistent threat in San Francisco for a while.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
Bullocks and Harper do look really, really good, but a little depth can't hurt. Dion Grant or Ken Hamlin would be pretty nice additions to any team.

I'd also love it if Eric Johnson ended up in New Orleans. This guy is incredibly underrated, but was a consistent threat in San Francisco for a while.
I really agree, that Deon Grant or Ken Hamlin would be a solid upgrade in depth over someone like Omar Stoutmire and Bryan Scott. Also, someone like Eric Johnson could also provide depth as well and I believe that he has the ablility to be a quality backup.

Also, I wanted to welcome to TigerBait45 to NFLDC! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints | F. Thomas agrees to pay cut
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:26:10 -0800

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints CB Fred Thomas has agreed to take a pay cut for the 2007 season. Thomas was originally scheduled to make $3 million this season, but has agreed to make about $2.2 instead.

Doesn't seem to be that huge of a paycut.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
reznola
Rookie

reznola hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does any know if the Saints are close with eric johnson or ken hamlin?
reznola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see us pick up kicker Justin Medlock (UCLA) in one of the later rounds :)

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Adam Schefter just said on NFLN that the Saints signed Eric Johnson TE.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
vickblowsGoSaints

If the saints do bring in Hamlin it would mostly show that Roman Harper is not getting that much better after his injury. Bullocks came into the league a free safety but made the switch to strong when Harper was drafted. He had to move back after the injury. It's good to know Bullocks can play both sides for our team.

Saints are also hosting Roderick Hood right now, that would be an upgrade over Fred Thomas for sure.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno View Post
Adam Schefter just said on NFLN that the Saints signed Eric Johnson TE.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Yup.

Quote:
The New Orleans Saints have signed free agent tight end Eric Johnson to a one-year contract worth about $2 million.
Adds another receiving threat for Brees in the offense, he can be a quality receiving threat if he's healthy.

Low risk, High reward. Really like this signing.

Last edited by Auron : 03-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickblowsGoSaints View Post
If the saints do bring in Hamlin it would mostly show that Roman Harper is not getting that much better after his injury. Bullocks came into the league a free safety but made the switch to strong when Harper was drafted. He had to move back after the injury. It's good to know Bullocks can play both sides for our team.

Saints are also hosting Roderick Hood right now, that would be an upgrade over Fred Thomas for sure.
I thought Harper played strong safety, and Bullocks played free safety from the get-go. Are you sure about that?

And yes, Hood would be an upgrade over Thomas, but quite unfortunately it appears as if Fred will remain with the team.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Michael Smith on ESPN, reports that both the Saints and 49ers are in talks with Seattle about acquiring Seattle WR, Darrell Jackson.

I would like that move, give up maybe a 3rd/4th rounder.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Love the Eric Johnson signing

Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).
Payton has made his name with these kind of risk/reward signings... acquired Jeff Faine, Hollis Thomas, Scott Fujita, and Scott Shanle last season. All players that were cast aside by their former teams...and have played up to their potential here.

I like the move even more because even if Johnson's injury problems rear their head, we re-signed Billy Miller, and have Mark Cambell for depth so we're not relying on him to be the sole contributor at TE.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
vickblowsGoSaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
I thought Harper played strong safety, and Bullocks played free safety from the get-go. Are you sure about that?

And yes, Hood would be an upgrade over Thomas, but quite unfortunately it appears as if Fred will remain with the team.
Yea you're right about Harper playing strong side. I remembered last offseason seeing a press conference where Payton said he was going to move Bullocks over but I guess it never played out I guess.

Regardles of how bad Fred Thomas is, I've accepted he will be staying. The good thing is that he brings veteran leadership to any new guy we get via draft or FA. I doubt he starts next year. He's played 12 years with some good seasons so hopefully he can at least pass on what he knows to someone else.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Very good point. I believe during at one point two seasons ago he was leading the league in receptions, period. That's damn impressive.. IF he can stay healthy... just another cog in our offensive.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

If the Saints are able to sign either Rod Hood and Ken Hamlin we would have signed a veteran player in each of our positions of need and will be able to go with the BPA in the draft, which I believe is the best draft strategy (excluding RB and QB)

also
with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense

Last edited by BiggerFoot : 03-07-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerFoot View Post
with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense
I think the Draft strategy you mentioned above, is the approach this staff is going take. Fill as many needs as you can in FA, and then Draft BPA. (best player available) If they have Olsen graded out as BPA when we're on the clock, he'll be the pick..if not someone else will.

Interesting note. Eric Johnson is only 2 years removed from his best season in 2004. Here's his stats from the '04 season.

Games played - 16, Receptions - 82, Yards - 825 ,Yards Per Catch - 10.1 , Touchdowns - 2.

Also you have to keep in mind his QB's on that team were Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey, Kevan Barlow was at RB, and Brandon Lloyd, Rashaun Woods at WR..

He's 6"3 so we have another big target for Drew in the redzone, and Payton can do a lot of things with him in this Offense.