Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If there was any doubt about Mike Tomlin and Max Starks tonight proved it

We need a new coach and a new LT. An on side kick when you have the lead with only a few minutes left. We won despite of Mike Tomlin tonight.

And Max Starks has a couple of holding calls and gave up acouple of sacks in just the last part of the 4th quarter. Again we won despite of our left tackle.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFairlane View Post
We need a new coach and a new LT. An on side kick when you have the lead with only a few minutes left. We won despite of Mike Tomlin tonight.

And Max Starks has a couple of holding calls and gave up acouple of sacks in just the last part of the 4th quarter. Again we won despite of our left tackle.
We don't need a new coach, we just need him to get the coaches he wants to have. As previously mentioned, he inherited Bruce Arians, LeBeau and others, and while he had the chance to fire them, he kept them since they'd been with the team for a longer amount of time.

It's like the Mike Singletary situation in San Fran. The guy went in as interim head coach and had Mike Martz as an OC. After the season, he fired him, hired his guy, and started a run-oriented offense that he wanted to have. It's given him good results so far.

Tomlin just needs to get his guys. He didn't change things from last season to this one because if you win a Superbowl, you're obviously doing something right. Arians' playcalling is very questionable. When it works, it's great, it's a powerful offense. When it doesn't, we look pathetic. And most of the time, it doesn't work.

Tomlin is not a bad coach. A single call in a game makes him a bad coach? Is Belichik a bad coach for the 4th and 2 with the lead? No. He simply knew the defense couldn't stop Manning and would have much rather had the ball in Brady's hands.

Tomlin knew it would be extremely hard to stop the Packers, be it from close distance or long distance. The play would have been great had Taylor not waited a yard and a half more.

And as far as Max Starks goes, he's inconsistent, but usually good. Not everyone can completely shut out Jared Allen, and he's really underappreciated in the run game.

LT is definitely not as big a need as the secondary is. Watch some tape, Driver, Jennings, and Co. were not covered well at all. The TD Burnett allowed was ridiculous and the way Carter tried to stop Jennings was like watching second grade football.

While I'll agree with you that the LT position can be improved, it's not as bad as people think it is. He's arguably the second best O-Line guy we have.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talk about knee jerk reaction. Tomlin won a Super Bowl last year. 'Member? I guess that means nothing when going for an onside kick in a game that you ultimately won.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Max Starks, yeah, the Steelers need to upgrade their bookends.

But wow, you want to dump a coach the year after he wins a Superbowl. I don't need to say anything more.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i loved the call when it was made (said so here right after) and i woulda liked it win or lose

our defense hasnt stopped anyone all year in the 4th, and they wernt stopping the packers all game

we hada chance to get it back, and we had more time to score after they did...

and max def didnt have a great game but hes been alright this season... not great tho and i agree and future LT is needed soon

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, so the answer is to give this guy more control. So he lets McFadden go so William *** can start. That seems to have been a great idea. We let Foote go and kept Farrior another great idea.

Now I am not going to blame all the secondary problems on him. I think losing TP hurts unbelievable. If you really watch the game most the big plays were a lack of safety play and not as much of CB play as I hear. But it's obviously a lot of coaching. Look at what he did with the vikings. Number one rush defense. Dead last pass defense. Says a lot for a DB coach.

And Max Starks is a good RT. But god awful at LT. If he lets a defender get by him at the right side at least Ben can make a guy miss and make a play with his feet. But if you let a guy past on the left side it just so hard for him to see that and make the guy miss. So I agree max Starks is one of our better linemen but is NOT an NFL left tackle.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, so the answer is to give this guy more control. So he lets McFadden go so William *** can start. That seems to have been a great idea.

Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, so the answer is to give this guy more control. So he lets McFadden go so William *** can start. That seems to have been a great idea. We let Foote go and kept Farrior another great idea.

He has a say in FA, but ultimately its up to the GM. We couldn't afford to pay McFadden anyways.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just cant read his posts... his lack of grammar and punctuation skills, combined with his lack of football sense, just lead me to believe i am talking to a 7 year old from czechoslovakia

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Now I am not going to blame all the secondary problems on him. I think losing TP hurts unbelievable. If you really watch the game most the big plays were a lack of safety play and not as much of CB play as I hear. But it's obviously a lot of coaching. Look at what he did with the vikings. Number one rush defense. Dead last pass defense. Says a lot for a DB coach.

And Max Starks is a good RT. But god awful at LT. If he lets a defender get by him at the right side at least Ben can make a guy miss and make a play with his feet. But if you let a guy past on the left side it just so hard for him to see that and make the guy miss. So I agree max Starks is one of our better linemen but is NOT an NFL left tackle.
Yes, I believe Tomlin should have more control, as well as the coaches he believes he deserves.

It's not as if he didn't want McFadden either. McFadden has the toughest agent in the NFL in Drew Rosenhaus, and when he became a free agent I remember him stating that McFadden was expecting around 6-8 million annually.

Free agents Dominique Foxworth and Ron Bartell got ab out 7 million each, so McFadden wanted about the same.

We offered him virtually the same contract that Arizona did, but he left because we didn't meet his demands.

His visit to Arizona was originally labeled a "leverage visit," as he was trying to scare the team into thinking he'd sign elsewhere. The team didn't fall for it, didn't improve the offer, and McFadden signed with the Cards.

Remember, McFadden only had one good season with us, and he missed 6 games during it. He wasn't even a starter at the beginning of the season.

He constantly underachieved and didn't play up to his abilities. This last season he did, and that's why he garnered the attention.

We don't shed out 7 million dollars to a guy who only has played half a good season and who the team sees as replaceable. William *** had been playing very well in his nickel role that year too.

As for comparison's sake, he hasn't been all that great in Arizona either.
He's got 59 solo tackles, 5 assisted, 64 total, no sacks, 15 passes deflected, and this is the first season in his career in which he doesn't have an interception.

As for the Larry Foote incident, the front office didn't release him because they wanted to, but because they kind of had to. Larry Foots specifically asked to be released, or at least told the front office. He wanted to play for the Lions.

He knew that Timmons was waiting to be the starter, so he wanted to go to a team that would use him.

The team tried to trade him and then released him.

Article about Foote asking to be released:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09119...d=steelers.xml

Article about Foote skipping mini-camp:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

Article about releasing foote:
***Notice the first line:
"The Steelers granted linebacker Larry Foote his wish and released him today."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09124...d=steelers.xml

Foote wanted out, and the team had Timmons, so granted his wish.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tomlin is 36 and has 2 division titles and a Super Bowl in 2.8 seasons. Starks is better as a RT. *** is not a starter. McFadden chose the team who gave him more money. Every thing I have seen this clown post has been negative.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i just cant read his posts... his lack of grammar and punctuation skills, combined with his lack of football sense, just lead me to believe i am talking to a 7 year old from czechoslovakia

Please read this post and tell me about my punctuation and grammar skills!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

Okay, you guys remember how you feel now. I'll be more than sure to remind you of this next year when you are calling for his head.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would I call for Tomlin's head? Cowher and Noll each had terrible seasons, but everyone praised him. None of them won a Super Bowl in their second season coaching.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM    (permalink
steelcrew43
Veteran

steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.steelcrew43 could make a wolverine purr.

McFadden signed with the cards because of Whisenhunt... the coach that we should've nabbed in the first place.. tomlin won with cowher's team

sig by me
Go buckeyes,steelers, cavs

PM me for jersey transfers
steelcrew43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcrew43 View Post
McFadden signed with the cards because of Whisenhunt... the coach that we should've nabbed in the first place.. tomlin won with cowher's team
I don't think he signed with the Cards just because of Whisenhunt. He wanted top-notch money and didn't get it. The deal they offered him was pretty similar to ours, but he said no to us to get more money, and never got it.

As for Tomlin having Cowher's team and whatnot, that's might be true, but Tomlin is still building his team. He's only been here 3 years. With him, we've gotten Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, Wallace, Sepulveda, Mewelde, Keyaron, and Ziggy, all of whom are solid players.

And you could say that Whisenhunt took Dennis Green's team (or whoever was there before him) to the Superbowl. Warner was already there, as was Fitzgerald, Boldin, James, Dansby, Dockett, Wilson, and others, all of whom were major contributors in their Superbowl run.

We've been a defense-first team for a long while, so it would have been surprising to see an offensive-minded guy as our HC. Plus, Ben didn't get along with him, so what's the point of having an offensive-oriented team when the franchise QB doesn't like the coach?

We don't need Whiz as head coach. We just have to replace Arians (or hope he gets his stuff straight).

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

This Tomlin hate is absurd. This guy wins the Super Bowl in his 2nd season, and people are calling for his head because he had one bad season, but even then they still had a winning record. I love Cowher like the next guy and would kill to have him back in our organization, but the guy was a choke artist and only won ONE championship in 15 years. He had a bunch of talented teams, but always blew it in the AFCCG or the Super Bowl. His conservative style was limiting a lot of the players.

What people fail to know is that Tomlin is also 37 and still very young in the NFL. He only had a high labled job in the NFL for one season, and that was when he was a DC.

Tomlin was the right man for the job. He is defensive minded, young, and firey(although he failed to show that sometimes this season).

The whole team got complacant. It would not surprise me to see them very, VERY hungry this season and contend for the championship again.