Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM    (permalink
gsoturf
Rookie

gsoturf gsoturf gsoturf gsoturf
Default Blood Test

Do you guys think there should be a blood test to test for peds like HGH? Or do you side with the unions who think it's too invassive?
gsoturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No it's not too invasive if the NFL actually wants to crack down on HGH consumption. That said, I don't think any professional sports league in the world beyond the Olympics has ever really sought to clean up their sport more than they've tried to clean up the image of their sport.

However, I'm not even sure what good a blood test would do. There are performance enhancers which don't present in drug tests like classic cases of anabolic steroid or HGH abuse and if a player is willing to take those kinds of drugs close enough to the NFL combine, they would theoretically do enough homework to take the ones that can't be tested for.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
gsoturf
Rookie

gsoturf gsoturf gsoturf gsoturf

Apparently they have blood tests now that can really test for this stuff legitly. BTW the NFL wants the tests but the unions don't... I wonder why.
gsoturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No blood tests. I know there are a ton of guys that are on all kinds stuff but I don't really care. The NFL gets a pass on performance enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it should be acceptable just because it is the NFL. With that said, football is 80% mental anyway, so keep using HGH, it doesn't make you much better.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BTW the NFL wants the tests but the unions don't... I wonder why.
I still doubt that the NFL will push it too hard, fact of the matter is that better athletes make for a better product, whether they naturally obtain their ability or stimulate it with drugs.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I still doubt that the NFL will push it too hard, fact of the matter is that better athletes make for a better product, whether they naturally obtain their ability or stimulate it with drugs.
true, and look what steroid testing did for baseball. It's not good for the sport. The HR record is very important in their history but they don't know who to call all- time leader.

It's a negative picture and i highly believe there are a lot of HGH users in the NFL world. It's better that we do not know.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally think that PEDs are very common in football, and that having blood tests would shock the masses as to how many of these guys are on PEDs.

I mean seriously guys, do we really think that today's athletes are getting to be bigger, stronger, faster than the guys in the 90s based just on legal supplements?

No way.

Just wait until gene enhancement starts to become the new PED. Thats a scary thought.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I personally think that PEDs are very common in football, and that having blood tests would shock the masses as to how many of these guys are on PEDs.

I mean seriously guys, do we really think that today's athletes are getting to be bigger, stronger, faster than the guys in the 90s based just on legal supplements?

No way.

Just wait until gene enhancement starts to become the new PED. Thats a scary thought.
I'm gettin the **** out by the time we turn into the Brave New World.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
you won't be allowed to travel you Epsilon.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
we're going to be monsters in 30 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have absolutely no problem with it. I think the only reason the Union is against it atm is to gain leverage to get something else they want in return in the CBA negotiations.

Either that, or they know that a ludicrous amount of players are using it...which is also bad.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ludicrous amount of players are using it, thats why the union doesn't want it blood test.

Didn't Rodeny Harrison get caught using it. He did it to heal quicker, cause of his age...I wonder what Brett Favre is doing to stay this healthy? Would his record be tarnished or * if caught with something?

A lot of old guys must be using it, seeing as how much longer they play now then they use to.

Hopefully the league is clean though.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Ludicrous amount of players are using it, thats why the union doesn't want it blood test.

Didn't Rodeny Harrison get caught using it. He did it to heal quicker, cause of his age...I wonder what Brett Favre is doing to stay this healthy? Would his record be tarnished or * if caught with something?

A lot of old guys must be using it, seeing as how much longer they play now then they use to.

Hopefully the league is clean though.
That's what I think, too. Whenever a guy comes back from a serious injury better than before, I'm always skeptical.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how much of the playing longer is steroid related, I think a lot of that is probably just normal nutrition and taking care of the body. I dare say you will find that the majority of the guys who play to their late 30s also live pretty clean lives. Remember as recently as the 80s players still got drunk every weekend and a lot of them even smoked.

That said, I do feel that the speed and size has a lot to do with roids. They are readily available, easy to get away with and can make a big difference in an industry where your body is putting food on the table. I know that if someone told me I needed to do roids to play in the NFL I would give it serious consideration, especially at damn near $400,000 a year minimum contract. Hell, I do things that are arguably as bad for my body now for nothing(alcohol).

The reality is that the better the athletes, the better the product can be and the NFL and the NFLPA know this and while they will publicly denounce PEDs and will punish those that are stupid enough to get caught using them(and you are very stupid if you get caught) but I don't think they will push to hard to try and catch everyone. Lets be honest, no one that is a fan of the sport wants probably close to half the league booted because players are using drugs that any reasonable fan already knows they are using, it just doesn't make sense.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steriod use in the NFL exploded in the 80s, that's around the time the NFL tried to get a handle on it. Most guys around here are too young to remember the NY Jets 'Sack Exchange', or remember the season when Gastineau and Klecko both had 20 sacks apiece.
Gastineau was 6'6, 280# and ran a 4.5, rumored that the only thing really 'natural' about him was his height and desire for the game.

Most fans IMO would be shocked about the level that many NFL players go to gain an illegal competitive advantage through PEDs.

PEDs don't make you an NFL football player, but they can make you a better one.

Perfect example of a guy I look at as clean, Taylor Mays. He's 6'3, 230#, likely runs a 4.3.
If a naturally gifted athlete like Mays went on a 6 month cycle and put on roughly 20 pounds of muscle at the same height/speed, he could literally paralyze or kill WRs.

I commend the NFL for making an attempt to keep pace with the chemical warfare going on in NFL lockerrooms, but the NFL league office seems to always be about ten years behind where the cheaters are currently.

Bigbluedefense is 100% correct, when gene doping becomes perfected, a process that many believe will be undetectable outside predetermined subjective parameters of what 'normal performance' for an athlete should be, the NFL will start to resemble watching the latest X-Men movie, where the game is played on Sundays by genetically mutated superhumans.

It would still be cool to watch, but it wouldn't be the game many of us grew up playing.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote