Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
So I'm confused. Did we only have one free agent to sign and we used it on Nick Folk? Or can we sign a couple? Or does he not count?
Not 100% positive but I don't think it counted since Folk wasn't any teams UFA or RFA. Since he was cut mid-season I think any team could have signed him and that team was us. I doubt we would use our limited free agency room on a kicker.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It all depends upon what the Jets end up doing with the extra free agent they can get after losing Feely. Folk isn't that good and Feely was really solid last year. Yes he had issues down the stretch a bit, but he was really good for most of the year.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the Folk signing. He couldn't kick last year in a dome. I can't see him being too good in the swirling winds in the Meadowlands.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

I also am not a big fan of it. Feely might not have had the biggest leg but he was accurate and knew how to kick in the Meadowlands. Folk seems to be a bit of a headcase, and I think he will definitely be on a short leash.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't worry just yet. Feely could still re-sign with us. We're just covering all our bases. But honestly, after I saw Feely miss all those FGs against the Seahawks, I thought he was a joke and he ended up turning it around with us. So really, Folk could do the same thing, and he has a bigger leg than Feely.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
So I'm confused. Did we only have one free agent to sign and we used it on Nick Folk? Or can we sign a couple? Or does he not count?
No that does not count towards or Free Agent pick up...once a guy is cut by another team (key word cut) he is available to all teams. I think the key is that he has to go through waivers so if a team declines a roster bonus or something like that we will not be able to sign him.

BTW, I hope theu resign Feely. I thought he was one of the better kickers the Jets have had in the last 20 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a different note, I see that the Texans aren't franchising Dunta Robinson. I've loved him ever since he went to the Texans and I think he'd be perfect for our team. Probably would cost a pretty penny though.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
On a different note, I see that the Texans aren't franchising Dunta Robinson. I've loved him ever since he went to the Texans and I think he'd be perfect for our team. Probably would cost a pretty penny though.
He'd be a very solid #2, but he's most likely looking for #1 type money. Not to mention, and I'm not 100% solid on the cap rules, but I'm pretty sure we won't have the ability to sign him anyways. It'll be interesting to see if anything manifests itself with us and the raiders, doubtful, but interesting nevertheless.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you guys give up a 2011 4th for Anthony Montgomery of the Redskins?

I would. That would be my favorite FA move of the offseason.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Would you guys give up a 2011 4th for Anthony Montgomery of the Redskins?

I would. That would be my favorite FA move of the offseason.
Definately not. There are guys in this draft with higher upside that we can get late in this draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Definately not. There are guys in this draft with higher upside that we can get late in this draft.
Really? Like who? Anyone we draft in the 5th, 6th, or 7th would be happy to be on the team in a couple years. At 6'6 315 with 4 years of NFL coaching and playing under his belt, I'm not sure what about Montgomery doesn't scream upside.

It'd be at least as good as the Starks signing the Phins made...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Really? Like who? Anyone we draft in the 5th, 6th, or 7th would be happy to be on the team in a couple years. At 6'6 315 with 4 years of NFL coaching and playing under his belt, I'm not sure what about Montgomery doesn't scream upside.

It'd be at least as good as the Starks signing the Phins made...
Just a few guys who I think may be there late-

Vince Oghobasse- Duke
Jeff Owens- Georgia
Al Woods- LSU
Linval Joseph- ECU
And two of my sleepers at the postion- Torrell Troup from Central Florida and Jay Ross from ECU.

I wouldn't be mad if that trade actually happened but its just a trade that I wouldn't do.

Edit: Just by looking at his numbers, what has he done that warrants a 4th round draft pick?

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 02-25-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Edit: Just by looking at his numbers, what has he done that warrants a 4th round draft pick?
I think that is the most important point. While Senor Gato seemed to say that being semi experience by having 4 years of nfl coaching is a good thing. In reality, the fact that he hasn't produced at all in four years makes him worse than an unknown in that he hasn't progressed in his years in the league. Perhaps he is miscast in the Redskins system(I'm not familiar enough with the Redskins defense or his role in it) but he is not worthy of a fourth.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Really, we should never give up draft picks for players. In our current predicament, we should be finding a way to get more.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Really, we should never give up draft picks for players. In our current predicament, we should be finding a way to get more.
I would never say never normally..but this year with so few picks and a big need for depth I don't think I would be on board with trading a pick away.

BTW...Supposedly Antonio Cromartie is available and the Chargers may be looking for a RB in return. Doubt they do TJ for him straight up but what do you guys think of him? I know he is not a physical presence at all, but is a better cover corner and with our free agent handcuffs on it may be the best we can do now.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I would never say never normally..but this year with so few picks and a big need for depth I don't think I would be on board with trading a pick away.

BTW...Supposedly Antonio Cromartie is available and the Chargers may be looking for a RB in return. Doubt they do TJ for him straight up but what do you guys think of him? I know he is not a physical presence at all, but is a better cover corner and with our free agent handcuffs on it may be the best we can do now.
He's a headcase. Unless we can get him for cheap as hell, I don't want him. He just seems so inconsistent considering in 07 he had 10 picks and seemed to be one of the top young corners in the league and then he has two lackluster years. I know he had a hip injury in 08 but still. Also Cromartie has 7 kids in five different states and has been named in several paternity suits in the last few years, I'm not sure this is a guy that will be focused on football.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
He's a headcase. Unless we can get him for cheap as hell, I don't want him. He just seems so inconsistent considering in 07 he had 10 picks and seemed to be one of the top young corners in the league and then he has two lackluster years. I know he had a hip injury in 08 but still. Also Cromartie has 7 kids in five different states and has been named in several paternity suits in the last few years, I'm not sure this is a guy that will be focused on football.
I agree with you, might not be worth it normally, but with these restrictions we have on us it might be hard to do better. Not saying I am for it, but just don't think we can dismiss it as quickly as we normally would.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Just a few guys who I think may be there late-

Vince Oghobasse- Duke
Jeff Owens- Georgia
Al Woods- LSU
Linval Joseph- ECU
And two of my sleepers at the postion- Torrell Troup from Central Florida and Jay Ross from ECU.

I wouldn't be mad if that trade actually happened but its just a trade that I wouldn't do.

Judging by numbers is hard because:

1. He hasn't started in 2 years.

2. He's a DT.

3. He's a young DT.

When he did start he was considered the Redskins best DT, and was pretty much a beast. Someone like Linval Joseph is a similar prospect to what Montgomery was coming out, except that Montgomery already has 4 years of NFL coaching and conditioning on him. We'd be hoping one of those guys shows his upside...though I'm a huge Oghobaase fan.

You give up the 4th on upside and potential, two things he has in spades. The 4th is because I'd rather give up a 2011 4th than the 2010 5th...though I'd give that up if it really came down to it.

I'm still down for Oghobaase, even if we were to land Montgomery.

Rebuilding the DL would be nice...Montgomery replaces Douglas...Oghobaase replaces Ellis in '11 or '12 if we don't play in '11. We then have youth, athleticism, power, and size on the DL with Jenkins anchoring...

Last edited by SenorGato : 02-26-2010 at 10:40 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

one interesting thing i read this week is that those guys that do not receive a tender from their clubs are not considered UFAs so they will be eligible to be signed by the final 8 teams.

"If an RFA is not tendered, he's a free agent, but not a UFA," said NFL director of corporate communications Dan Masonson. "So Final Eight teams can sign him."

I haven't been keeping track all that much as to who was tendered and who was not, but atleast it opens us up to some more guys. I also read that in an uncapped year they can cut a guy at any time and not get the cap penalty. That being said they plan on atleast taking Gholston to camp before they decide to unload him.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

As much as it's looking like Gholston is a bust, it just seems ridiculous to already cut a guy that is only 23 years old. I understand he has done absolutley nothing when he has been on the field (not that often), but to get rid of a 23 year, top ten pick after only two years is just absurd. I just think you need to see if another year under Ryan will make a difference because some guys just develop much slower than others and Ryan is a big time motivator. I mean, I find it very hard to believe that with all his athleticism, Ryan can't find a way to make him at least mildly productive whether it is with us or he shows enough to actually have trade value so we can get something for him.

While a part of me will feel a certain vindictive pleasure if we cut Gholston, in my head, I recognize that it is way too soon to give up.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Reading into the way they're talking, I feel like we're definitely going to be drafting a RB at some point unless we can get a cut player on the cheap.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
As much as it's looking like Gholston is a bust, it just seems ridiculous to already cut a guy that is only 23 years old. I understand he has done absolutley nothing when he has been on the field (not that often), but to get rid of a 23 year, top ten pick after only two years is just absurd. I just think you need to see if another year under Ryan will make a difference because some guys just develop much slower than others and Ryan is a big time motivator. I mean, I find it very hard to believe that with all his athleticism, Ryan can't find a way to make him at least mildly productive whether it is with us or he shows enough to actually have trade value so we can get something for him.

While a part of me will feel a certain vindictive pleasure if we cut Gholston, in my head, I recognize that it is way too soon to give up.
I agree that it is too soon to cut the guy, but with the uncapped year possibly enabling a team to cut a guy and not have dead cap space may be a way out of bad contracts that you normally wouldnt have been able to free yourself of.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Looks like TJ is getting cut...too bad he worked very hard for us. I know he is on the wrong side of the RB curve but I think he had one more productive year left (especially if he shares the laod with a guy liek Greene). I thought with an uncapped year (hence no need to cut him for cap purposes) and the limited ability to replace him (final 4 restrictions) I thought we'd keep him.

I know its a business and teams that think with their hearts tend not to win, but it seems a bit cold to say, "thanks for 2,800 yards the last 2 years but don't let the door hit you in the a$$".
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Decision to cut Thomas Jones doesn't sit well in Jets' locker room

"I can tell you, it's not going to be a popular move in the locker room," the New York Daily News quotes one unnamed player as saying. "We loved T.J. The man loved the game and put it all on the line only to get dumped after his best season. I think you should reward players for performance. You dump him but give Vernon [Gholston] another shot? Doesn't make sense."

Said offensive lineman Brandon Moore, "A passionate guy like that, with the intensity he brought at certain points in the game, it ignited sparks in everybody. You would've liked to have kept a guy like that."

And offensive lineman Damien Woody added, "Some players bring things to the table that you can't put a price on, and T.J. is one of those guys."
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Other than the quote from the unnamed player, that doesn't seem like such a bad backlash. Moore and Woody both seem like they are sorry to see TJ go and they respect him, but they don't seem too disgruntled about it. From a locker room standpoint, I think this story is overblown. Every year there are a couple controversial cuts, but the vast majority of players understand that these things are just business. I wonder who the anonymous coward is though.