Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

Do you guys think Golden Tate solidified himself as the #2 receiver behind Bryant and ahead of Benn? I was hoping for him to be there when we pick but that seems unlikely now.
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll be the first or second receiver drafted, and I think he's in the discussion to be the second best receiver. Benn was never in the top three for me, though.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

Adam Scheain is reporting the Cardinals want Rhodes for Boldin OR a 3rd round pick.

Leon given a 2nd round tender
Brad Smith given 2nd
Edwards 1 and 3

Leon's agent Alvin Keels said

Quote:
Washington's agent, Alvin Keels, is already advertising the running back, writing on his Twitter account: "I expect there to be a market for Leon during free agency and would say his return to the Jets will be 50-50 at best at this point."
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait. So are they saying Boldin is worth a 3rd rounder? I think we should ask for a 2nd and give them a nice 7th.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

How about a second and Kellen Clemens
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the second round tender for Washington, seems like they just want to get the pick and don't want him around but it just opens up another need. I've got the same questions about trading Rhodes, but if they have somebody who's a better fit in mind and won't cost too much I guess it's OK. After cutting TJ if they lose LW and/or Rhodes it just creates even more needs without having much of a way to replace players right now.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Personally, I think we have a need at RB regardless, so if we could get a 2nd rounder for Leon coming off of a season-ending injury, at his age, as a RB, who isn't a franchise back, who doesn't have a long-term contract, I think that's a steal. But I don't really see why anyone would do that. And now that I think about it, I'd be fine with a 3rd for Rhodes. I think there's better players for our system in this draft in the 3rd or later.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cromartie/

Not sure what to think of this. It depends on what we would be giving up. It most likely would have to be players being as we are limited in the picks area. I'm not a big Cromartie fan, but if a change of scenery is what it takes for him to return to 2007 form and we dont give up anything major then I'm on board.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Personally, I think we have a need at RB regardless, so if we could get a 2nd rounder for Leon coming off of a season-ending injury, at his age, as a RB, who isn't a franchise back, who doesn't have a long-term contract, I think that's a steal. But I don't really see why anyone would do that. And now that I think about it, I'd be fine with a 3rd for Rhodes. I think there's better players for our system in this draft in the 3rd or later.
Yeah there's a need at RB regardless, but then you're just adding to the need and would need 2 backs instead of one. The injury is a little worrisome but he's still young and an incredibly talented back. Just looking at this draft I'm not sure I can think of any backs who are going to be around in the 2nd round who look like they're going to be much better than LW. With Rhodes I kind of have to disagree also, the fit may be better but I don't know if you're going to get the same production or talent level. While fit concerns are perhaps a legit reason I can think of to make these kinds of trades, this organization has always valued proven vets over picks and while there are some concerns with these two and more picks are needed you'd be moving two of our most talented players for middle of the road question mark draft picks. At this point I trust Mr. T though, he's been solid on these sorts of calls and at certain points I think you do have to make tough decisions regarding players from within and that could be what we're experiencing this offseason. Right now I'm kind of getting the vibe this is going to be a bit of a rebuilding year which is a bit disappointing given how far we got last year but perhaps it's necessary and in the best interest in the team long term.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Just looking at this draft I'm not sure I can think of any backs who are going to be around in the 2nd round who look like they're going to be much better than LW.
Maybe if your scared to take a chance on drafting a player, but there will be plenty of guys available to be a lightning to Greene's thunder. Joe McKnight & Javhid Best come to mind right off the bat as two guys who would be excellent for you guys.

Granted you'd have to find a guy who could be as great of a KR man, but you would have to see if he's even the same guy returning kicks as he was before, and you can always find strictly a KR man late in the draft. As far as what Leon provides on offense, McKnight would probably be a better fit, you guys got Washington in the middle of the draft and those guys aren't hard to replace when you have a workhorse like Greene already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah there's a need at RB regardless, but then you're just adding to the need and would need 2 backs instead of one. The injury is a little worrisome but he's still young and an incredibly talented back. Just looking at this draft I'm not sure I can think of any backs who are going to be around in the 2nd round who look like they're going to be much better than LW. With Rhodes I kind of have to disagree also, the fit may be better but I don't know if you're going to get the same production or talent level. While fit concerns are perhaps a legit reason I can think of to make these kinds of trades, this organization has always valued proven vets over picks and while there are some concerns with these two and more picks are needed you'd be moving two of our most talented players for middle of the road question mark draft picks. At this point I trust Mr. T though, he's been solid on these sorts of calls and at certain points I think you do have to make tough decisions regarding players from within and that could be what we're experiencing this offseason. Right now I'm kind of getting the vibe this is going to be a bit of a rebuilding year which is a bit disappointing given how far we got last year but perhaps it's necessary and in the best interest in the team long term.
Well honestly, with Rhodes, I don't know how you could say we wouldn't get the same production with a better fit because he was awful this past season. And really, why exactly can't we get a better player or someone just as good even in the third round? He was a third rounder. Or hell, Antoine Bethea was a 6th rounder for the Colts and he had a great season. We just have to know how to draft for our team, and I certainly think there will be players available that can be very good at Safety for us. Plus, from a skill set standpoint, I think Rhodes and Leonard together handicapped us from a coverage and rushing standpoint, so I certainly think we can put someone back there that will better compliment Jim.

As for the runningback situation, I don't particularly think we need two new runningbacks if we gave up Leon. I just think we have a need at RB because Greene isn't particularly durable, Leon doesn't really have the body to take a large load, and together they don't have a complete skill set for a RB. However, if we drafted a more complete back and paired him with Greene, I think that's more than fine. I don't think we necessarily need a homerun threat. Greene's more than capable of breaking a big run, and I don't know... I just don't particularly think we need a scat back. I do value versatility though, so I'd like someone like McCluster, and I actually think he'd offer our offense a lot more than Leon would.

Then with the Cromartie thing, I'd have no problem with him. That one play against us is kind of overblown, and if we could get him on the cheap then that wouldn't be so bad. Isn't he sort of expensive though? I feel like he just got a contract or needs one or something.

In any case, even though it seems like we'd just be giving ourselves more holes by trading away Leon and Rhodes, I think by acquiring picks for them we could more easily fill all of our holes, including the ones created by their departures.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Personally, I think we have a need at RB regardless, so if we could get a 2nd rounder for Leon coming off of a season-ending injury, at his age, as a RB, who isn't a franchise back, who doesn't have a long-term contract, I think that's a steal.
I doubt anyone would give up a 2nd rounder (and give him a long term deal) coming off of a broken leg. I am pretty sure he will remain with the JETS this year.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Well honestly, with Rhodes, I don't know how you could say we wouldn't get the same production with a better fit because he was awful this past season. And really, why exactly can't we get a better player or someone just as good even in the third round? He was a third rounder. Or hell, Antoine Bethea was a 6th rounder for the Colts and he had a great season. We just have to know how to draft for our team, and I certainly think there will be players available that can be very good at Safety for us. Plus, from a skill set standpoint, I think Rhodes and Leonard together handicapped us from a coverage and rushing standpoint, so I certainly think we can put someone back there that will better compliment Jim.

As for the runningback situation, I don't particularly think we need two new runningbacks if we gave up Leon. I just think we have a need at RB because Greene isn't particularly durable, Leon doesn't really have the body to take a large load, and together they don't have a complete skill set for a RB. However, if we drafted a more complete back and paired him with Greene, I think that's more than fine. I don't think we necessarily need a homerun threat. Greene's more than capable of breaking a big run, and I don't know... I just don't particularly think we need a scat back. I do value versatility though, so I'd like someone like McCluster, and I actually think he'd offer our offense a lot more than Leon would.

Then with the Cromartie thing, I'd have no problem with him. That one play against us is kind of overblown, and if we could get him on the cheap then that wouldn't be so bad. Isn't he sort of expensive though? I feel like he just got a contract or needs one or something.

In any case, even though it seems like we'd just be giving ourselves more holes by trading away Leon and Rhodes, I think by acquiring picks for them we could more easily fill all of our holes, including the ones created by their departures.
To answer you and LL, I do think we certainly could pick up players (at RB and S) who are more productive than Rhodes and LW, but it's still definitely a gamble. At safety we're looking for a FS in Ryan's system, so yes the ability to hit needs to be increased but whoever is drafted also would hopefully be able to make plays on the ball. If trading him is addition by subtraction then that's fine, but whoever you take may not pan out. Yes you can hit players in later rounds and yes those two were examples of that but they both outperformed their draft status and I don't think that's something you can necessarily count on.

As for the RB situation, I do think that if we need a back now and LW is moved on top of that then another back may be needed. Ultimately if you draft a guy you don't know how well he's going to play as a rookie, look at the situation Shonn Greene was put in last year behind two vets. If all we have left is Greene there's a back who played well in limited time but also had fumbling issues and tends to get banged up. Then all you really have is an unproven rookie and Chauncey Washington behind him...in a run-based offense. Not something I'd exactly be comfortable with. I mean I love draft picks as much as anybody but there's an inherant risk involved in those...perhaps long term it's a step in the right direction but unless you hit on a lot of those later rounders you're taking gambles. However if at FS (changing gears a bit) you think the answer is already on the team that helps things quite a bit...same if they aren't blowing smoke on Washington. I don't necessarily think a scat back is needed either but somebody with receiving skills certainly would be IMO.

As for Cromartie, I think he's probably very similar to Kerry Rhodes, but with a CB skill set obviously. I wouldn't be ecstatic to give up a pick to get a soft CB after deciding we need to trade our soft FS, and yeah I get that corners don't have to be as physical but he's still going to have issues there. At the same time I would get it because a #2 is obviously needed and the guy is ridiculously talented.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Adam Shefter says the Raiders are going to release Justin Fargas in the coming days. If so, he might not be a bad replacement for TJ.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im a little worried about all this talk of trades and releasing players. I think letting Thomas Jones go may end up biting us in the ass and getting rid of Rhodes, Leon, or both could prove to worse. The reason Greene was so good in the playoffs was because Jones took the pounding all year, allowing Greene to dominate because of fresh legs. Who know how he'll do carrying the load? I would not have given Jones an extension because he's too old, but I would've paid him the bonus and let him have another year. He ran for 1400 ******* yards last year. If he had stayed, Greene would have taken some of the load, allowing him to remain productive in a more limited role.

Regarding Rhodes, he came on a bit at the end of the year after his benching. He was showing a bit more aggressiveness and getting his helmet in on more tackles than he had been. I think getting a third for him would be low compared to what we know he is capable of. Yes, he hasn't played up to his potential in a few years, but when he is on his game, he is so valuable that I have trouble selling low on him. Rhodes was a play making safety in coverage, as a run stopper, and as a pass rusher. I think Rex has already shown he won't take crap from Rhodes and last year it already showed results, maybe Rhodes will get the message.

As for Leon, I want to keep him, but am less adamant than about Rhodes and TJ. I think Leon is an incredibly valuable player when healthy. He was the most explosive part of out offense last year and once he got hurt, the offense had some issues. It would be hard to replace him both as a 3rd down weapon and as a returner, but unlike Rhodes and TJ, I think that a couple of guys can replace Leon's production. Brad Smith showed some life at the end of last year and as we showed with Leon, undersized explosive guys can be had later in the draft. I would love to keep Leon, if he is healthy, but I think he is a replaceable part.

On to Cromartie, I said earlier I don't really want him and I stand by it. If you look at him in a vacuum, then yes, there is no reason to not get an athletic, talented, young corner for cheap. However, the guy is such a question mark. He could come out and be the emerging superstar or the disappointing guy who has more off field concerns than I would want to deal with as a team. If we get him, part of me will be excited, because trading a draft pick for young talent isn't the same as just trading a draft pick. However, for the most part, I will just cringe and hope that he plays like he is capable of.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
The reason Greene was so good in the playoffs was because Jones took the pounding all year, allowing Greene to dominate because of fresh legs. Who know how he'll do carrying the load? I would not have given Jones an extension because he's too old, but I would've paid him the bonus and let him have another year. He ran for 1400 ******* yards last year.
Agree 100%. Think but jettisoning a 1,400 yard back you are potentially putting Sanchez in a bad position next year. He will most likely make strides, but if the running game slips a notch or two then his development may as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since there is a strong possibility Kerry Rhodes gets traded sometime in the near future, how do you guys feel about bringing in Antrell Rolle?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Since there is a strong possibility Kerry Rhodes gets traded sometime in the near future, how do you guys feel about bringing in Antrell Rolle?
I think it's intriguing because he's a talented safety and then you could have a minimal change in quality of play at the FS spot but pick up something for KR. At the same time, I'm not sure if he has any interest in playing in NY and think that the interest in him may mostly come from the fact that he's an available FS in a relatively limited market for what the Jets can go after right now. So it may be more of a convenience thing than a good fit, and I'm not sure how much sense he makes on a long term deal. But I wouldn't be disappointed if that's what went down, at this point I'm cautious though.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I'm fairly sure Rolle will cost a considerable amount of money.

And does anyone have Insider? I'm curious as to why it says we could make a move on Brandon Marshall.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
And does anyone have Insider? I'm curious as to why it says we could make a move on Brandon Marshall.
not sure what insider said, but i always thought an Edwards for Marshall trade in some form made some sense.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

LC was cut by the Bengals and Baker was cut by the Pats today. Guess its better ti get rid of guys a year too soon than a year too late.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
This is what Insider had to say, not much:

"Given the lowered price tag, the Jets have re-emerged as a possibility in the buzz we've heard on Thursday. There's still a need for a legit No. 1 WR, and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is not opposed to pulling off big deals."
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

both espn and foxsports say the jets got cromartie for a conditional 2011 3rd rounder....

not sure how i feel yet, but he does give us a better cover guy no question.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well if it was only a third I think that's not a bad deal for a 25 yr old dude, but it says it can turn into a 2nd rounder. Hopefully it takes a lot to make it a 2nd rounder. Regardless though, I do like the deal, since there were only two corners I was really a fan of in this class and I assume they wouldn't be as perfect of fits as the Jets would want.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

That trade really takes away the one biggest immediate need on the team, so at this point the position the first round pick is used on seems pretty wide open. Just makes that all the more intriguing at this point. I don't love the trade because he's been pretty soft but the talent level is obviously ridiculous so this could end up working out nicely. Agree with TTGS, hope that second rounder isn't easy to attain.