Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
Would the Chiefs have tendered Niswanger if they wanted to go get Mawae? Kept Niswanger around for depth at Cand G?
He's a decent backup, and that's a pretty good price for a backup.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edit all ready posted.

Last edited by Splat : 03-11-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...Top+Stories%29

Chiefs coach Todd Haley 'excited' by signing of RB Thomas Jones.

"He's an impressive guy. We can't have enough guys like Thomas," Haley said. "It's one thing to be a leader and another to have the ability to back it up. Thomas does that and is excited to continue to show that.

"He had his best year last year. And I'm excited he wants to be here.

"He fits what we're looking for," Haley said. "He's a good player, loves the game and is an excellent preparation guy and a good teammate.

"He's been a part of other teams turning it in the right direction and he's excited to be a part of this."

"If we have a chance to add good football players, we're going to do it," Haley said. "This was a great example of a good fit, no different than what we've been able to do coaching staff wise. We need to because we only won four games last year and we've got to be better this year."
Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm hearing a lot of rumours that KC is the Dark Horse to trade for Brady Quinn since the Browns are shopping him.

anyone else hearing this?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a backup? I don't know. I don't want to give up a pick for Quinn lol, especially when we have Cassel as QB1 and Croyle as a competent backup. Doesn't make much sense.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
As a backup? I don't know. I don't want to give up a pick for Quinn lol, especially when we have Cassel as QB1 and Croyle as a competent backup. Doesn't make much sense.
Mike Golic said this morning that the Chiefs were the dark horse, prolly because of the Weis connection.

and yeah, as backup, i think.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Under no circumstances would I be ok with trading a draft pick for Brady Quinn. We haven't seen enough of Cassel to know what kind of a player he can be, we need to give him another year while providing him with a weapon and some protection.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Under no circumstances would I be ok with trading a draft pick for Brady Quinn. We haven't seen enough of Cassel to know what kind of a player he can be, we need to give him another year while providing him with a weapon and some protection.
I second that notion. Cassel deserves a chance with a competent line and at least one WR that can catch the ball. If he struggles, then you make a move in another direction. Until that point, he is the man under center.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I second that notion. Cassel deserves a chance with a competent line and at least one WR that can catch the ball. If he struggles, then you make a move in another direction. Until that point, he is the man under center.

i agree.

Matt proved to me last year he can take a licking and keep on ticking.

as you said with a better oline and a wr that can hang on to the ball then we'll see if Cassel can improve on his accuracy.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and if they are looking for accuracy, then Quinn has proven alot less than Cassel. Quinn career 52.1% last/best season 53.1%. Cassel 59.2% last season 55% best season 63.4%
Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

Quote:
and if they are looking for accuracy, then Quinn has proven alot less than Cassel. Quinn career 52.1% last/best season 53.1%. Cassel 59.2% last season 55% best season 63.4%
lol i'm not for trading for Quinn, i just posted the rumors i heard.

as for Cassel, i just pointed out that IMO he has to improve on his accuracy to be the legit QBOTF for the Chiefs and that a better Oline and a wr that can catch might help.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Broncos cut Andra Davis

I would not mind the Chiefs going after him he played under RC in Cleveland so he all ready knows the system and would fill a need.

Last edited by Splat : 03-11-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Broncos cut Andra Davis

I would not mind the Chiefs going after him he played under RC in Cleveland so he all ready knows the system and would fill a need.
I could be ok with move. A linebacker who would at least be in the right spot would be welcome on this team.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Early AFC West free-agency review

Kansas City

Big news: Thomas Jones signing. Next to the trade for quarterback Matt Cassel last year, this is the biggest move of the Scot Pioli era to date. The addition of Jones shows Kansas City is willing to spend and it wants to get better. The veteran running back will help this offense.

Surprise: How aggressive the Chiefs planned to be. Last year, the Chiefs were criticized for not being active. This year has been a different story. They were planning to pursue San Diegoís Darren Sproles had he hit the open market, and they tried to trade for receiver Anquan Boldin. Before signing Jones, Kansas City also was considering fellow running backs Justin Fargas and Willie Parker. It is clear the Chiefs are determined to get better.

Best decision: Re-signing Chris Chambers. Adding Jones and keeping Chambers will help Kansas Cityís offense evolve in the first year under new offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. Chambers was Casselís favorite target when he was claimed off waivers by San Diego in November. A full season of playing with Chambers should help Cassel.

Worst decision: Not trading for Boldin. A receiving crew of Chambers, Boldin and Dwayne Bowe would have been formidable. The Chiefs have two second-round picks next month. It might have been worth it to trade one to get Boldin and really open up the offense.

Whatís needed: Keep spending. The Chiefs are on the right track. But they need more talent throughout the team. They need to add more pieces, perhaps on the offensive line and in the defensive back eight.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Worst decision: Not trading for Boldin. A receiving crew of Chambers, Boldin and Dwayne Bowe would have been formidable. The Chiefs have two second-round picks next month. It might have been worth it to trade one to get Boldin and really open up the offense.
If they're keeping Bowe (which I'm somewhat surprised by) and Chambers, Boldin fills a redundant role for the Chiefs. On top of not being a good personality (Haley knows this better than anyone) to bring in when they're trying to build a strong core. The Chiefs need a couple slot receivers to catch screens, underneath routes, and find pockets in coverage. Aside from one player for depth, they're covered at the outside receiving positions.

They'll probably be inclined to soldier on with Lance Long and draft someone later. The bigger move at receiver in the draft will probably be a TE because there are a bunch who project well to develop into solid blockers while also being productive receivers...Weis and Haley have similar philosphies with how to use TEs.

Quote:
What’s needed: Keep spending. The Chiefs are on the right track. But they need more talent throughout the team. They need to add more pieces, perhaps on the offensive line and in the defensive back eight.
Not necessarily "keep spending", but definitely keep adding players who will help shape the lockerroom into what Pioli and Haley want/need it to be in order to start making huge advances (e.g. being able to bring in a Boldin or Marshall).

I'd also like to add that the underrated move so far is re-signing Vrabel. If Vrabel decided to come back, that tells me he's motivated and wants to be here. I really don't think that was the case in 2009, and we saw the results of that attitude. If Vrabel wants to be here, he's going to contribute massively to this team. Expect a much different Mike Vrabel in 2010.

Last edited by nepg : 03-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I'd also like to add that the underrated move so far is re-signing Vrabel. If Vrabel decided to come back, that tells me he's motivated and wants to be here. I really don't think that was the case in 2009, and we saw the results of that attitude. If Vrabel wants to be here, he's going to contribute massively to this team. Expect a much different Mike Vrabel in 2010.
I read an interview with Mike Vrabel and it sounded more like he was scared to go out on the FA market because he didn't want to hear that teams weren't as interested in an OLB who will be 35 when the season starts and is clearly on the downside of his career. I hope you are right and he is ready to go this season, because what he offered on the field last year wasn't good. Say what you want about him being good in the locker room. Players don't listen to a guy that can't produce anymore. They want someone that is good in the locker room and on the field, like TJ.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.

Chiefs bring back Weigmann on a 1 year contract, and Lilja visits on Monday. I think this Pioli guy might know what he's doing. The only other thing id like see at this point is Andra Davis getting signed. This is what id like to see on draft day.

1. Eric Berry S Tennessee
2. Brandon Spikes LB Florida
2. Mardy Gilyard/Anthony McCoy
3. J.D. Walton C Baylor
4. Linval Joseph NT East Carolina
5. Sergio Render OG VT

If we dont get Gilyard then id like to see us get a kick returner and a developmental olb with our next 2
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I love me some Weigmann...

Classic act great locker room guy and can still play.

I don't know who this guy is so I hope it's true.

http://twitter.com/JBBauersfeld/status/10391187703
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.

Looks like Hank Fraley is visiting on Monday also.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

As much as I like CW I would still like to draft a C in the 3rd or 4th round mybe even the second if there is a stud sitting there.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
As much as I like CW I would still like to draft a C in the 3rd or 4th round mybe even the second if there is a stud sitting there.
Ya I definitely agree with you here. Casey is a great addition to our line and is an instant upgrade over Niswanger, but he's not the long term. I'd still draft Pouncey at the top of the second if he's there and have him play RG his first year to get used to the NFL game and then next year make him the starting C.

I do hope Lilja signs as well, but we really need to get younger so I hope these signings aren't going to stop us from drafting OL in the 2nd/3rd/etc.

Last edited by vidae : 03-12-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

I just hope he's not the 2010 version of Mike Goff. The man is 37 years old, but I agree we need to draft a center day 2.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Yeah, that's why I think Pouncey should still be on the radar. If not him in the second then Tennant in the third.

We definitely don't want a repeat of Goff, so drafting one of these guys (most notably Pouncey, who has the feet to move inside to guard) is still a very smart decision. If Casey doesn't have it anymore then we have a backup plan (Pouncey) to take over. If we sign Lilja and he doesn't have it, we have someone to plug in.

It's obvious Wiegmann is a year rental, but he's a very good veteran presence who a younger guy can learn from.

edit: With the talk of Fraley, Lilja and Casey, I'm a bit worried that maybe OL is not going to be addressed much in the draft. I'm hoping I'm wrong, because Pioli and co. know that they're not long term answers (except maybe Lilja).. but I still have this sinking feeling in my gut that this is their solution to the OL problem and the draft won't play a part in rebuilding it.

Last edited by vidae : 03-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

One thing about Casey you can count on if he can play he is going to dude hasn't missed a game in like 8 years or something crazy like that.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chalk me up as one who isn't counting on Weigmann to provide much. Undersized, old, not a good combination. Not sure if he is really an upgrade over Niswanger, but should provide depth hopefully.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote