Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
GDawg239

I am so confused on who the Vikings will pick. I dont think they'll pick a QB, because they think Jackson is the man. That leaves DE or a new need at corner. With fred smoot gone, what do you guys think about the chances they select Leon Hall with the 7th pick????
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not gonna happen. Cedric Griffin is going to be a fantastic starter. This team has way too many needs to take a nickelback with a top-10 pick.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
99 dunnihoo 12

I was going to say the same thing. CB isnt really a need in the draft because we have a couple young player very capable of playing. I do think bringing in a solid veteran would be a good move if the money is right.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 dunnihoo 12 View Post
I was going to say the same thing. CB isnt really a need in the draft because we have a couple young player very capable of playing. I do think bringing in a solid veteran would be a good move if the money is right.
So let me get this straight , you created an entire topic to say you're not sure who we'll draft ???
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
So let me get this straight , you created an entire topic to say you're not sure who we'll draft ???
GDawg created the topic and 99 simply responded to it.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Anyways...there's no chance we draft a CB in round 1. Or round 2.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
GDawg239

um....... sorry im not a vikings fan........

I was working on my mock and I wasnt sure if they'd go corner, esp after Smoot's departure. I now know that you guys have solid backups, and Im thinking DE, S, or QB is a more realistic option. That was the point of this forum. Of course nobody knows for sure who the teams will draft. I wanted to get the info from you Vikings' fans about the team's needs. I thought that was the point of message boards on an NFL draft website, correct me if im wrong....
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDawg239 View Post
um....... sorry im not a vikings fan........

I was working on my mock and I wasnt sure if they'd go corner, esp after Smoot's departure. I now know that you guys have solid backups, and Im thinking DE, S, or QB is a more realistic option. That was the point of this forum. Of course nobody knows for sure who the teams will draft. I wanted to get the info from you Vikings' fans about the team's needs. I thought that was the point of message boards on an NFL draft website, correct me if im wrong....
Understandable. But Smoot was outplayed by a rookie, and isn't ideal for the Tampa-2. So in reality we just lost our nickelback.

I'm thinking that at #7, we will probably end up with a defensive end. I think Laron Landry is also a possibility. Make no mistake, though, the Viking's biggest need is offensive playmaker. There just isn't anyone with good value at 7 overall.

Quarterback is a need for this team, but I don't think Childress will take one early on. He is going to go with his guy, Tarvaris Jackson. The only thing I can count on from Childress is his stubbornness and arrogance. So of this I am sure. Jackson will be the starting quarterback next year, and Childress has taught him as such....

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im not really a fan of jamaal anderson, i was fizzling out on adams, but i think he potential to be a great pass rusher, unfortunately, theres no way he gets past washington, they need a pass rusher as much if not more than we do, so theres no way he gets past washington, IMO

I think our best option is going to be landry, which i think will be a great player
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

I'm not really a fan of Gaines Adams. I'm very intrigued by Jamaal Anderson.

I would actually like Amobi Okoye. Defensive Tackle is a lot bigger of a need than many you think. Our only true DTs on the roster are the two Williamses.

The only thing I think we literally need to address is offensive playmakers, which we have failed to address thus far in FA.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I have a feeling Detroit takes Jammal Anderson or Gaines Adams now.
The Lions lost Dre Bly and probably would love a CB ...but there should be good value in the 2nd should they wait. The Lions got a whole lot stronger as an offense with Tatum Bell to complement KJ. If they get Curtis...they'll no longer be cakewalk sundays when we play them. They play more cover 2 and a traditional 4-3 base...so Anderson really makes alot of sense for them. He's alot like Mario Williams , minus the dominating first few steps. He's solid at run stopping and has good hand and upper body strength, so he can toss aside the Ryan Cooks' of the league and I expect nothing less than the 4.5 sacks Super mario got last year. The closer the draft date gets I think he'll get the same type of hype M.W. got last year and would be very suprised to see the Lions pass on him. Gaines would be a good fit in Washington. They'll more than likely be choosing between DT and DE...perhaps S , though I doubt it.

If CJ goes to Cleveland (If Russell goes 1 and Anderson goes 2) then we'll be choosing beteen Quin / AD / Landry. Gruden LOVES Okoye and don't think it'd be that big a shock if they took him at 4 (under this scenario).

DT is a need....but for depth and the future. Both Fat Pat and Kevin started and played in all 16 games (and some in all 4 preseason games) ..we might be
playing with fire ...and if 1 gets injured we're screwed. DT's are usually expendable around June 1st and if a decent backup is cut, I'd expect we'd make a big effort to sign one or 2. The Mosley trade looks worse by the ******.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not that high on Jamaal Anderson. He's 6'5, almost 290, and he ran a 4.8 at the combine. I think the Lions end up snatching Gaines away from us like they took Ernie Sims away from us last year. For us it should come down to Quinn and Landry.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I am not that high on Jamaal Anderson. He's 6'5, almost 290, and he ran a 4.8 at the combine. I think the Lions end up snatching Gaines away from us like they took Ernie Sims away from us last year. For us it should come down to Quinn and Landry.

I wouldn't call taking Ernie Sims snatching up. It was eight selections before ours, he would've been taken before us anyways.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Anyways...there's no chance we draft a CB in round 1. Or round 2.
"No Chance"? I think Hall would be an excellent pick if CJ, AP, and Adams are gone. If we want to trade down, I'd take him. You can never have enough good corners. Even if Griffin is the real deal, we've seen first hand what bad nickel and dime CB's do to a team. Look no further than the New England Patriots game. Then the rest. We can't stop the pass. How you can say we won't take one is beyond me when our pass defense was #32 out of 32 teams.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

.... 7 is way too high to take a nickel back period, and plus it would be a stretch to take him at 7 how would that be good? i would be sick if we picked leon hall... our pass defense wasnt bad because our secondary was horrible, rather our pass defense was bad because we had barely any pressure on the QB and they could sit back in the pocket and pick apart the cover 2.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
.... 7 is way too high to take a nickel back period, and plus it would be a stretch to take him at 7 how would that be good? i would be sick if we picked leon hall... our pass defense wasnt bad because our secondary was horrible, rather our pass defense was bad because we had barely any pressure on the QB and they could sit back in the pocket and pick apart the cover 2.
Yes but talent like Leon Hall doesn't come every draft for us to get. I don't think him at 7 would be good, but the original quote said we won't take one in the 1st or 2nd round. If we were to drop down a few spots and he's there, I take him if there's nobody else I want. You can say all along that it was our pass rush, which partially it was, but when teams spread the field and throw quick passes, our defensive backs are suppposed to be able to take care of it. With Smoot gone, who do we have? Winfield and Griffin. Then...? Whitaker? You want to rely on him as our nickel? It'd be another long year. Better corners help the pass rush as well by giving the defensive line more time to rush. With the way we seem to draft defensive ends I don't think it would be a bad idea.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Devonte Edwards is more than a capable Nickel, and than we have Ronyell Whitaker in the dime.... Id be happy taking leon hall if Cj, gaines Adams, Brady Quinn, Laron landry, Amobi okoye, Patrick Willis, Jamal anderson, adrian peterson, levi brown, and reggie nelson were all of the board. There are good corners every year in the draft, leon hall isnt that special of a specimen. we have a chance at some elite talent at other positons we should pounce on that elite talent, rather than take a good nickel back. IMO it would just be a wasted pick.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

If all those guys were off the board and we hadn't picked, that'd mean we'd have traded down to at least 11.

I don't see that happening.
Spending first round money at CB is a waste.

There is absolutely zero chance ...nadda , none,
that we draft a CB round 1.

mmmmmaaaaaaybe day 2 we look that way, but I don't see it happening before.