Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has hit the bullseye a few times and missed terribly on others. But I would put this year as his best, because he didn't wait around for talent to drop. He made the move to trade up and snag Clay Mathews before anyone else had the chance. TT saw something in Mathews that said, "I need this guy", and I have to give credit where credit is due.

Without Mathews, Green Bay's defense would be nowhere near where it is right now. He gives them size, speed, and an attitude that guys like Hawk just don't bring. Add in BJ Raji who has flashed brilliance and an excellent late round pick in Brad Jones who has done an admirable job being forced in midseason.

Yes Rodgers carries more weight and the Collins pick was excellent, but I don't remember a rookie class having more of an impact than the 2009 class has.

Last edited by Whistler6 : 01-04-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
He has hit the bullseye a few times and missed terribly on others.
Its the NFL draft. That's how it works. :)
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thompson in the draft is about a B in terms of his 5 years here.
His free agency record is about a B-.

He's given us a great one in Woodson (even though it was lucky he didn't have to compete with any other team for the cornerback- Tampa wanted him but as a safety), and one solid one in Pickett.

Chillar is okay but not as good as the money they just gave him. If he is as good as that contract, than Hawk should be traded while he can fetch something.

Other than those 2-3 guys, in now 6 years of free agency, he's not been active.

Tramon and Atari were good ones, but not your UFA types, still, he gets credit for that.

But comparing him to Ron Wolf's free agent additions, it pales in comparison.

On the other hand, Teddy Ballgame made some good trades for Ryan Grant, pawning off the longsnapper for a pick, and getting a 2 for Corey Williams.

His effing up the Randy Moss on a silver platter cost the Packers, probably, a Super Bowl appearance at least, and led to..... the disaster with Farve, which was mostly Farve's fault but TT has some culpability there.

TT chould have held the Vikings ransom and made the super ballzy deal for their #1 picks for 2008 & 2009. Imagine that. But that would have pizzed everyone in packer country off and even though he says he doesn't really care what the fan's reactions are (he says his focus is on the team period, not the public's perception), even he wasn't going to go there. He tried so hard to keep #4 out of Minny.

So all in all, with 1 playoff game win in a half-decade, I'd say a B- is fair.
The future looks bright, but you can't grade that yet.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
His effing up the Randy Moss on a silver platter cost the Packers
Effing it up? How could he help Moss preferring to go to NE?

Sure he could have given up a higher pick, but its not like teams were lining up to trade for Moss. You gotta give TT credit for recognizing Moss was still a player, not many other teams recognized that at the time. Moss was widely though of as washed up by many at that point.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Effing it up? How could he help Moss preferring to go to NE?

Sure he could have given up a higher pick, but its not like teams were lining up to trade for Moss. You gotta give TT credit for recognizing Moss was still a player, not many other teams recognized that at the time. Moss was widely though of as washed up by many at that point.
Not too mention how would Moss's presence slow the development of Jennings? Yeah Moss is a helluva player but its when he wants to be. He was getting criticized for dogging it at the end of last season. That doesn't fly in a blue collar town like Green Bay.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't stand it when people bring up the Moss trade.

You know there are 30 teams who didn't make that trade (and the 1 who sent him packing).

It's just like Marques Colston. He was a 7th rounder so are you supposed to downgrade drafts for 31 teams who didn't pick him?

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I can't stand it when people bring up the Moss trade.
You know there are 30 teams who didn't make that trade (and the 1 who sent him packing).
I can't stand it when people pretend like Favre, his agent, and Moss didn't set that thing all up on a silver platter. McNabb didn't arrange it for him to go to Philly. Favre and Moss cooked it up, it was a rare chance to get a superstar, but Ted Thompson would not pull the trigger.

It was like when Woodson was trying to escape from Oakland... nobody else wanted him as their cornerback because he looked moody, washed up, etc. Same thing with Moss out of the black hole. It was perfectly orchestrated for him to unite with Favre, finally, as both guys have respected each other for years.

In the end, Thompson did not to let the player play the role of GM, which is his job. Most GM's have a lot of ego. Not just TT.

Oakland wanted that deal consumated for weeks.
One day, it will come out in a book.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Moss trade was a trade that should have happened, along with the Tony Gonzalez trade. When Brent was here, he had the same agent as Moss and Moss was willing to come here. He was not willing to go just anywhere, hence one of the reasons why he's in NE. He's caught 47 TDs in three years with NE now. Both Driver and Jennings combined have 38 or so TDs combined in the same time span.
O give TT the benefit of the doubt on the Tony G., given how great Finley looks, but Finley and Tony G. as a tandem would have been pretty incredible for this offense.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
The Moss trade was a trade that should have happened, along with the Tony Gonzalez trade.
Be careful, cvv doesn't like you saying anything bad about TT.
And going back in time, that's just revisionist history too.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not true. I don't like people who make brain damaged posts.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
Not true. I don't like people who make brain damaged posts.
Anything negative about your fruitty crush Thompson would qualify for that, according to you.
Seems to me everyone in here who has handed a grade out has been in the 'B' range. If that offends you, you might need some counseling. I've never, on all the BB's I am on, seen anyone take anything not positive about the man as personal as you. Nobody. You must have some personal experience with Theodore, but you should save that for TMZ.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Anything negative about your fruitty crush Thompson would qualify for that, according to you.
Seems to me everyone in here who has handed a grade out has been in the 'B' range. If that offends you, you might need some counseling. I've never, on all the BB's I am on, seen anyone take anything not positive about the man as personal as you. Nobody. You must have some personal experience with Theodore, but you should save that for TMZ.
I already posted my grade and the reason in the this thread months ago. Do some reading/reasearching so you can quite making yourself look like the board idiot.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not true, I gave him an A-.

Regarding the Moss trade: I don't care how well it worked out for New England, I'm still glad we didn't make the trade. Seeing my least favorite player play for the Packers would have been too much.

Also, I think merging some of these threads we have would be a good idea. We have several that could go into the draft discussion.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
1) Regarding the Moss trade: I don't care how well it worked out for New England, I'm still glad we didn't make the trade. Seeing my least favorite player play for the Packers would have been too much.

2) Also, I think merging some of these threads we have would be a good idea. We have several that could go into the draft discussion.
1) Nice to see you admit your personal grades are heavily-weighed by your personal favorite or non-favorite players. Don't let real production get in the way of your assessment of the actual performances.
Wow, an A- for one playoff win in 5 seasons.
What grade for two playoff wins in 5 seasons?
What grade for three playoff wins?
What grade for one Super Bowl appearance?
What grade for one Super Bowl win?
What grade for two Super Bowl wins in 5 seasons, as the Steelers have had?
Honestly, if you were a teacher with a curve like that, you'd be everyone's favorite.

2) I agree... tell that to the kid cvv who likes to make a mountain out of a mole hill anytime anything not rosy-positive is said about Ted Thompson's work. RyanBraun8 and I, and some others, have tried to bring some real draft discussions and mocks to the other threads, but you'll see cvv likes to hijack all the threads defending his boytoy.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1) Nice to see you admit your personal grades are heavily-weighed by your personal favorite or non-favorite players. Don't let real production get in the way of your assessment of the actual performances.
Wow, an A- for one playoff win in 5 seasons.
What grade for two playoff wins in 5 seasons?
What grade for three playoff wins?
What grade for one Super Bowl appearance?
What grade for one Super Bowl win?
What grade for two Super Bowl wins in 5 seasons, as the Steelers have had?
Honestly, if you were a teacher with a curve like that, you'd be everyone's favorite.

2) I agree... tell that to the kid cvv who likes to make a mountain out of a mole hill anytime anything not rosy-positive is said about Ted Thompson's work. RyanBraun8 and I, and some others, have tried to bring some real draft discussions and mocks to the other threads, but you'll see cvv likes to hijack all the threads defending his boytoy.
I don't understand, you plus reped me for the post that I gave him and A-, but you didn't read it?

I take pride in being a Packer fan. I don't want to have to root for a team with a douchebag that I've rooted against for years. I'm not a Viking fan.

I think number of playoff wins is too simplistic of a way to measure how well a GM is doing. I understand that that is the ultimate goal, but you also have to look at the position our team is in compared to where it started. A guy like Jerry Reese has a Superbowl ring already, but he had the luxury of taking the team from Ernie Accorsi instead of Mike Sherman. Jerry Angelo took his team to the Superbowl, but look at where the Bears organization is right now.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Doing grading based on someone's history is using hind-sight. Looking at picks as how they turned out is revisionist, as the GM makes the decision based on what they know at the time. TT gets downgraded for not making trades he should have made, and he gets upgraded for making the trades or bringing in the players he was successful with.
He hit with Ryan Grant, but was gun-shy with Moss and Gonzalez. He hasn't brought in many FAs, but a number of them have been solid for the defense.
He missed on Harrell, I didn't like him trading out of the first round even picking up Jordy. He crushed on getting Raji and Matthews.
He's taken a talent shallow team with a bad cap situation after Mike Sherman and turned it to a young team with a lot of talent and financial health. Over his tenure the team is 42-38. That's four games over even. Hopefully the team gets some areas shored up and GB has a better year even than last year, but he's four games over .500, so that's a C+ still, with a chance to move to a B with another good off-season.
So far, this off-season has been solid with him keeping the two OTs, the NT and preventing a hold-out by the FS. I'd love to see another draft this year with guys that are expected to play, instead of guys that are expected to develop and grow.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Downgrade him on the bad trades he made but don't downgrade him on trades that he didn't make. There are so many what ifs you're taking a subjective process and making it way worse by trying to figure out everything that happened behind the scenes. If you really want to downgrade him for that, give him a bad grade, then multiply that by 1/31 for the other 31 teams that share the bad grade.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
......Over his tenure the team is 42-38. That's four games over even. Hopefully the team gets some areas shored up and GB has a better year even than last year, but he's four games over .500, so that's a C+ still, with a chance to move to a B with another good off-season.......
Uh-oh.
Using wins-losses is not going to make some people happy.

But johbur, you are right on the money: this is a business where success is measured by wins and losses, and especially playoff wins and losses. So far, you're right: the overall record is a little better than average. We think (and hope!) that the future is bright, so his grade should be going up.

With an upgrade at CB, LOLB, and OT, there's not a team in the league that we cannot beat, and that speaks volumes about what TT has done with this team. Yeah, I said it. But remember the history in Seattle too, and the off-season they had when he left, and then the season they had. He builds nice puzzles, but he needs to finish it. We all know where we have holes.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't understand, you plus reped me for the post that I gave him and A-, but you didn't read it?
He's a ******* dumbass, what is there to get? :D

Its "fans" like J-Mike88 that just make you shake your head. Expecting huge moves from a small franchise. Yeah we have 1 playoff win under Thompson/McCarthy but we've also completely overhauled our roster and have been the youngest team in the league for 3 years in a row. Considering we have one of, if not the best young QB in the league and numerous young talented players at other positions as well.

Who's to say that Moss or Gonzalez would've put us over the top? And if we did make those trades what would the effect have been on Jennings and Finley? We have the foundation in place, just need to become a more consistant team. Which I think will happen with a QB that isn't turnover prone.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

33 of 51 picks still on the Packers roster.

Brohm, Meredith, Clowney, Rouse, Tollefson, Moll, Hodge, Culver are still on other NFL rosters. Obviously does no good for the Packers, but helps show he know how to evaluate prospects.

So 41 of 51 draftees are still in the NFL in some regard. 80% of players TT drafted still in the NFL is fine by me.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Uh-oh.
Using wins-losses is not going to make some people happy.

But johbur, you are right on the money: this is a business where success is measured by wins and losses, and especially playoff wins and losses. So far, you're right: the overall record is a little better than average. We think (and hope!) that the future is bright, so his grade should be going up.

With an upgrade at CB, LOLB, and OT, there's not a team in the league that we cannot beat, and that speaks volumes about what TT has done with this team. Yeah, I said it. But remember the history in Seattle too, and the off-season they had when he left, and then the season they had. He builds nice puzzles, but he needs to finish it. We all know where we have holes.
If wins-losses is the most accurate representation of a GM's performance, would you agree that Mike Sherman was a more successful GM than Ted Thompson?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

People just remember it's like you're a college looking at applicants and all these things are like ACTs, GPA, class rank, activities, etc.

I grade him an A- primarily for 2 reasons.
1) Aaron Rodgers: so many teams go decades without a decent quarterback, and when Aaron retires it will probably be the case that we went 30 years with very high level QB play
2) Brett Favre: He risked making everyone in Wisconsin hate him by standing up to him and doing the right football move. He played the unknown young kid instead who he apparently knew to be a phenom. And he put an end to Favre treating the organisation like a very desperate ex girlfriend (now Minnesota is that desperate ex :) ).

The only real knocks on him are that he screwed up on the OL last year and his drafting has been good, maybe very good, but not great. Not a single bad trade or any wasted money. Very rare for a 5-6 year span.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Name another GM that has found a top 5 QB (arguable the most valuable player in the NFL considering age and such), top 5 Safety, top 10 WR and, top young pass rusher and TE in his past few drafts. Not to mention the others guys he's drafted ( jolly, Jones, Spitz, Jordy, Lang) or found ( Tramon, Havner, and Grant) that are on the roster. TT has been very good in the draft, sure he has some misses, but what GMs haven't missed?

Just imagine if Lee, Raji, and ( dare I say) Harrell amount on top of that.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 04-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If wins-losses is the most accurate representation of a GM's performance, would you agree that Mike Sherman was a more successful GM than Ted Thompson?
Yes, qualified in that he was the GM and the HC. I don't believe any head coach can be a successful GM over the long term. They get too attached to the players and players that don't get the money resent the coach/GM.
Sherman had three division crowns, five winning seasons, and the highest w/l percentage behind Vince Lombardi in team history. Now, he was 2-4 in the playoffs, which obviously doesn't cut it in GB. Packers are 1-2 after him, so it's not like the playoff performance has improved under TT.

They both had/have issues as GMs, Sherman relied on FA too much and didn't maximize the number of picks he made, though he was sustaining a solid team, instead of building up a team from one that had grown old. TT didn't keep his OGs his first season he let Longwell and Sharper go, cut P Jon Ryan and has yet to address the gaping holes on special teams, worst unit in the NFL. Due to drafting lots, he's hit on more players, but he has no more pro-bowlers than Sherman had selected over the first three drafts. Overall TT has a better handle on the draft and is getting better, as the 2009 draft was the type of draft that gets you to a championship. TT conservative with FA and is so conservative with the draft that he misses out on players that could make an impact on the team due to not wanting to "sacrifice" a third or fourth rounder.

I'd have liked to have had TT in 2001 when Wolf retired and had Sherman as the coach, though I like what MM is doing now.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

The 2010 draft is complete and I've added in the newest members of the Green Bay Packers.

A few notes from the draft:

1) With 7 draftees this is the smallest draft class in Ted Thompson's tenure with the Packers.

2) This is the 1st time that Ted Thompson has not traded down over the course of a draft.