Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Finnegans Wake
Rookie

Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
1. LB Sean Weatherspoon
2. FS Nate Allen
3. DE Alex Carrington

Spoon is a vocal leader that we are sorely lacking on defense. His play is similar to that of Farrior and even Timmons. If we are going to leave Timmons at the Mack position to develop, that Spoon seems like a legitimate replacement at the Buck for Farrior.

Other than Berry, Allen might be the best pure FS in this draft.

I know we drafted Ziggy early last year, but DE is still a big position of need. Carrington is big and physical and would look good opposite Ziggy in the long term.
1. LB Sean Weatherspoon
2. FS Nate Allen
3. DE Alex Carrington

Weatherspoon should be there at 1.18... I'm not sure Nate Allen will last to our R2, and I'm almost sure Carrington won't be there at R3... If we came away with these three guys though I'd be very pleased.
Finnegans Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need to focus on self-motivated, humble, hard-working guys.

For each of the past drafts, there was a kind of theme for the guys we picked.

In 2007, almost all of our high picks had loaded trophy rooms. Woodley had multiple awards, including best lineman in football, Sepulveda won the Ray Guy twice, Spaeth was the best TE, and so on.

For 2008, we took high-profile offensive players and injured ones. Mendenhall and Sweed were high-profile, and Sweed was coming of a big injury, as was Tony Hills and Dennis Dixon. Dixon was a high profile offensive player too, prior to injury.

For 2009, we went with quiet, self motivated, and very hardworking guys. Mike Wallace had his rough past to drive him, which he shares with Keenan Lewis, Ziggy Hood had great intangibles and a great work ethic, Frank Summers wanted to be a Steeler, Shipley had his "prove everyone wrong" mentality going on, etc.

I think the coaches and Tomlin are looking to repeat what they did in 2009 in regards to the types of players they are looking for. Self-motivated guys who are easily coached, and take coaching in with the purpose of using it. Down-to-earth guys who earn playing time, as opposed to simply receive it.

Mendenhall and Sweed didn't really fit that profile, as evidenced by Mendy's supposed apathy and lack of effort at the beginning of last year's season. Sweed is supposedly a humble and hardworking guy, but it looks like his ego has been seriously hurt, meaning that he too was not as down to earth as others.

Hood, Wallace, and others are the opposite of divas, and that's the type of players I'm trying to find right now.

So far, here's who I've come up with:

QB Tim Tebow, Florida
Need I say why? Unparalleled intangibles and leadership. With the way things are going as of late with Roethlisberger, I have read in many places that Steeler fans want him gone and Tebow arriving. Don't see him as a franchise QB just yet, and I know we won't draft a QB before round 5, but yeah, some of Steeler Nation are already demanding him. With his attitude, I think he could definitely learn the tricks of the trade.

S Taylor Mays, USC
Being from USC, not many people will believe that he's not a diva. While he might have a big ego, he's as hard-working and self-motivated a player as you can find. Going into the combine, many people doubted him. Suggestions about switching to OLB, not fitting in as S, and not being as fast as he supposedly was. What did he do? He had a great combine, recording the fastest time for any DB, and bringing on a wave of controversy regarding the authenticity of his 40 yard dash, supposedly being timed .1 seconds slower than he actually ran. In an interview with Steve Wyche right after running his 40, Mays was visibly irritated with the 4.43, and his answer was that he simply wanted to prove he could run a 4.2 at the USC Pro Day. His performance at the combine showed two things: he truly is as gifted an athlete as people thought he was, and he works extremely hard when nobody is really pushing him. Look up "Nothing But Freaks" on Youtube, the ESPN special about him and 4 others. They voluntarity got together and trained on a daily basis with a special diet specifically designed to improve themselves for the combine. That shows a lot about his character. Not everybody goes into such training regimes (see Andre Smith, Terrence Cody, and countless others), and very few do so by their own decision. He also listens to coaches and does whatever is asked of him. This past year, he pretty much played deep, pretty much all season long. Not many safeties would have done this without a single complaint. Mays did. He sacrifices his personal desires for the team. In the same interview with Wyche, he said that he does what coaches ask him to do, and to the best of his abilities. He's a tough, smart, hard-working guy that doesn't need coaches riding his back all the time.

LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
A true leader at ILB, I think he's got potential to be as influential a leader as Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher are. Great football IQ, dedicated to the game, he follows coaches without hesitation and does what's asked of him. According to multiple sources, he spends countless hours watching film, analyzing opponents, and breaking down opponents strategies. Called by some a "second defensive coordinator," he makes great calls while on the field, indicating he's got a great ability to read plays and react accordingly. Add in the fact that he's a powerful guy, and he's as much an intimidator as Mays is. No character concerns, no off-season troubles, he consistently works to get better and is the type of player you try to build your defense around.

DT/DE Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
No chance we get him, but he too is a great character guy who you can build a defense around.

RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
One of the 4 guys who worked with Mays in the "Nothing But Freaks" program, Spiller is another great character. He too works his butt off even when coaches aren't pressing him too, and it shows. He's constantly able to conserve his game-breaking speed, and he does what coaches ask him to. This has led to his ability to be a very versatile back who can fit almost any scheme, be it pass-catching, run oriented, and whatnot. He's a smart player who knows what he brings to the table and doesn't create a big fuzz out of things. He'd be a perfect addition for our offense, as a complimentary back to Mendenhall and a threat to make a big play every time he touches the ball.

LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
Spoon plays with a non-stop motor and constantly gives everything he has on the field. Consistently working hard, and being a natural leader for Missouri, Spoon is another great player to have on your defense. Good football IQ, does what coaches ask him to do. There are some concerns about him off the field, though. While he never gets into trouble (quite the contrary, he's labeled a "good guy"), he is a bit goofy sometimes, and while this usually has no impact whatsoever on his game, there was at least one GM who already said he wouldn't want Spoon in his locker room. The GM, at the combine, said "He never shuts up. He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room." Another FO personnel guy had this to say about Spoon at the combine: "[He] was criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League." While there are many contrasting reports, the majority seem to indicate that his antics are usually minor and don't have any major impact on the team (such as an American Idol interpretation in a locker room). In any case, he's a true leader on the field, works extremely hard, and is an element that everyone should want on their team. Another source compared him to Dwight Howard, saying that while off the field he's goofy and pranks other players and makes constant jokes, he completely switches when playing, leaving everything on the court, simply dominates, and is fully concentrated, not letting the silly things interfere with his performance.

WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
Small school guy who's rising up draft boards as of late. No character concerns whatsoever, he's a reliable target who coaches love. He completes his assignments, does all that coaches ask him to do, and is an example for the rest of his team; a true leader. He work ethic was called "admirable" by an opponents coach, and his effort is never short of his best. He'll work as hard as he possibly could, no matter where he lands.

C J.D. Walton, Baylor
Another guy who consistently gives it his all. Centers have to be clever and smart, and this guy definitely fits both criteria. Add in the fact that he doesn't stop pushing and working until the play is called dead, and you have a guy who competes at a high level with a mean streak. Not intimidated by big defensive tackles, he's played against good ones in his college career. He could be the center we've lacked for a couple years now.

So, who else do you guys have as high character, hard working, self motivated team leaders?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think brandon grahm needs to be in that discussion as well, i agree with your analysis though

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously Myron Rolle springs to mind. Very Tomlin-esque type of guy.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, so I think that, all things considered, our pick will come down to one of the following five guys:

Mike Iupati
Earl Thomas
Sean Weatherspoon
C.J. Spiller
Rolando McClain

Haden will probably be taken by a top 10 team, don't see him falling out of there, sadly.

Agree? Disagree?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Steelersfan4life
Rookie

Steelersfan4life hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Steelersfan4life hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree, but maybe add a tackle like Trent Williams or Anthony Davis.
Steelersfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we may take a look at Mays also....just a feeling.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
steel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
BJJ3rd
Rookie

BJJ3rd BJJ3rd BJJ3rd BJJ3rd

also add Pouncey to that list...i hope not though..

PRAYING FOR SPILLER!!!! :D

Sig By BoneKrusher
BJJ3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM    (permalink
JonasBlane
Rookie

JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just hope we get OL, CB or Spiller with our first rounder.

Mays is interesting too... The prospect of his athleticism and hard hitting being coached up by Lebeau is very tempting.
JonasBlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
BJJ3rd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBlane View Post
Mays is interesting too... The prospect of his athleticism and hard hitting being coached up by Lebeau is very tempting.
I'll pass on Mays.

Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** mays....4 year starters at usc shouldnt have to be coached up
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel man View Post
i think we may take a look at Mays also....just a feeling.
I would pass on mays

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 AM    (permalink
BJJ3rd
Rookie

hopefully management is looking at mays the same way we are. don't care to see him in black and gold.

Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Pouncey, Spoon, Earl Thomas and all four of the OT's are gone, where do you see them going? I know Iupati would be an option but they did draft Kraig Urbick last year. What about Kyle Wilson or Kareem Jackson. Any input would be great.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, Iupati and Wilson would be good picks.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Yes, Iupati and Wilson would be good picks.
Who would be the better pick? Who is the more likely pick?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
If Pouncey, Spoon, Earl Thomas and all four of the OT's are gone, where do you see them going? I know Iupati would be an option but they did draft Kraig Urbick last year. What about Kyle Wilson or Kareem Jackson. Any input would be great.
They usually look a year ahead, so they may draft Olb or safety, also another Rb isn't out of the question. I am hoping we draft Pouncey, fills in as guard and center.

I have a hard time with Iupati pick because they drafted Urbick, and same with drafting cbs in the first round. Maybe in the later rounds sure.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they might take a look at Iupati and see if he can play T at the next level. I know he looked horrible at that spot, but it'd be worth a try.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 AM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ3rd View Post
hopefully management is looking at mays the same way we are. don't care to see him in black and gold.
I can't link to it because it's paid material but I can tell you that Ed Bouchette from the PG Post-Gazette has said that Mike Tomlin is not a fan of Taylor Mays and will not take him early in the draft.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

Comparing Iupati to Urbik is like comparing Faneca to Stapleton. Iupati has tremendous upside while Urbik shouldn't even make the team. Actually, I would take Stapleton over Urbik. that said, I would prefer to take Graham over Iupati at 18. Graham's ready to contribute right now, while Iupati will take a year or two. I like wilson, just not this high. He's not going to be there in round two however.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
while Urbik shouldn't even make the team. Actually, I would take Stapleton over Urbik. .
i hardly know you, but i love you
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I love how everyone disses Urbik when he hasn't had a chance to prove himself.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

just because he failed at showing anything, even potential, doesnt mean he didnt get a shot to show his stuff. just unimpressive across the board
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Then I guess everyone was down on Mendenhall because he had a less than stellar rookie season and first couple of games this season. I remember people being down on him too. They're eating crow. Some players take time to develop into NFL players. I'd give him some more time.

Edit: I meant that Mendenhall is a bust because he had a less than stellar rookie season.

Last edited by Hines : 04-05-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

hey im not giving up on him, but i was saying this from the day we drafted him and he didnt do anything to change my mind. some players take a year or 2, im not stupid....but some players also fail from day one (bruce davis, willie reid)

i hate when people say that timmons is a bust or mendenhall is a bust their rookie years....but i also looked at them as premier talents with better talent in front of them (for the most part). ive never looked at urbik as being a big contibutor, and its not like hes got superstars to beat out for a job