Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Okung is not an elite prospect at OT guys, I hate to keep mentioning this. We're better off drafting Suh/Saffold (just throwing a name out) than go Okung and some bum. Okung is the top guy in the OT class, but he's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. He's not a spectacular prospect.

And yes, we need elite players in the worst way, especially on our D-line.
I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I totally agree. Okung is a very good player, but he's not a great player. He's the product of a weak offensive tackle class. I was not real high on Jason Smith last year, but I think Smith would still grade ahead of Okung this year. You don't draft a guy strictly based on need. That is why Matt Millen failed here.

There are plenty of ways of protecting your franchise quarterback that don't involve passing on an elite talent like Ndamukong Suh. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. First of all, you can upgrade other positions on the offensive line. We've done that already. Even if Rob Sims isn't a great run blocker, he's one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Last season Jeff Backus was forced to overcompensate because of the turnstile we had at left guard, and still had a pretty good season. Playing next to a great pass blocker like Sims could elevate his already improved play. Secondly, you can improve the defense and running game. Improving the defense will limit the amount of points you give up, thus giving the offense more chances to establish the running game.
Your points are excellent on multiple ways to "protect" the franchise QB. In addition we get a healthy "run blocking beast" of a TE back in year 2 in BP.

The radio station mentioned that Jason Smith last year & Okung this year both come from a college spread offense & that does not always fit into an NFL style of play. Maybe it is nit picking but it is one more factoid to consider which GM's weigh on every pick ... especially when considering the $$ going into the #2 overall as it stands. A LT better known for his run blockng (Backus) & a LG better known for his pass blocking (Sims) on paper already improves the leftside.

In addition, I feel the LT's in this draft are interchangeable (Okung,Williams,Bulaga,Campbell,Davis) so the only way I see us NOT taking Suh @ #2 is if we trade back to the 6-10 range, get the LT & acquire additional pick(s). I still vote for Suh then a RB & CB, S as our needs in the draft.