Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rhodes signs two-year deal

NFL.com reports Rhodes sigsn two-year deal with da Raidahs!
- Atlanta Falcons GM
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

2 years 7.5 million, not too bad...
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, don't like this signing one bit.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.

I like it. Id rather have Rhodes than R.Lee.

Free agent fullback Justin Griffith is scheduled to visit with the Raiders on Friday.

This is good news too. I really hope the Raiders sign Griffith.
Oaktown1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Well, a nearley SB MVP player cant hurt. If that guy is buying Lane's stuff, the rest of the team should think: "Well, if a SB champ is excited about that offense, its probably good and it might work if I work my but off for it."

And I think that Rhodes likes Lane's plan because he could have signed elsewere with his status.

Last year the game made a transition from the featured back concept to spliting the task between two quality backs, espacially if you dont have a dominant player like an LT or LJ (wich is the case for most teams). That player has prooven to be effective with Joseph Addai in that system.

So welcome abord Dominic!
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigpoppanick13

Just what we needed - a career backup running back who averaged 3.4ypc in one of the best offenses in the league, and behind an offensive line far greater than ours.

I think that this might not be the acquisition that brings home the divisional crown for us.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Griffith?

I would like it to. Zack is a great team player, but he isnt the lead blocker that he used to be. My only concern is that he fumbled 3 times (lost 1) on 42 touches last year.

After that we just need to get Schaub from them so we can draft CJ and I will be a very happy man!....
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppanick13 View Post
Just what we needed - a career backup running back who averaged 3.4ypc in one of the best offenses in the league, and behind an offensive line far greater than ours.

I think that this might not be the acquisition that brings home the divisional crown for us.

Sure, but one small piece of the puzzle at a time. Are biggest move is yet to come with the draft.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
RaiderLifer
Rookie

RaiderLifer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the signing quite a bit. Him Jordan and Fargas should be able to give our D some rest.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Romyrick
Rookie

Romyrick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Horrible. Horrible.
Romyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ridiculous. Should of drafted someone. And I bet the reason he came here is because no one else wanted him. He just got a dui, and he's not that good. So we have three mediocre rb's, that's just great.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like the signing becauase now we can adress the dline earlier since we wont have to draft a rb

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

good we actually have a RB that can run N/S.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is stupid since we just restructured with Jordan. I don't think Rhodes is bad or anything, I just think it is dumb to pay a backup $4 million when we already had a quality backup in Fargas.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
I think this is stupid since we just restructured with Jordan. I don't think Rhodes is bad or anything, I just think it is dumb to pay a backup $4 million when we already had a quality backup in Fargas.
we are gonna run a 2 rb system now probably so its a good signing since we saw what he can do in one. we got him cheap too. fargas will probably be our fast back and jordan and rhodes will be our pound the ball guys

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 AM    (permalink
raidersfanxxx
Rookie

raidersfanxxx hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

soild pick up. cant wait to see him on play.

sig by Eaglez.Fan
raidersfanxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:50 AM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidersfanxxx View Post
soild pick up. cant wait to see him on play.
Well, we might have to wait a bit longer than expected. I read somewhere that he can be suspended for 4 games to start the season.

Found it:

Quote:
Dominic Rhodes' two-year deal with the Raiders is worth $7.5 million and contains a signing bonus of $1 million.

Rhodes, who NFL insiders feel may face a four-game suspension after his February arrest for DUI, will receive $1.5 million in 2007 base pay. The deal includes language protecting Oakland if the suspension comes to be. The Contra Costa Times believes the most likely scenario in Oakland's backfield this season is the team using a two-back system.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always liked LaMont Jordan, thought he had a very good 2005 season when the Raiders got the ball in his hands, and was surprised that people could not see that he wasn't going to have a good 2006 season thanks to the offensive coordinator/system in place. He'll bounce back with Lane Kiffin and Greg Knapp calling the shots.

That said, it's smart thinking by the Oakland Raiders to sign Dominic Rhodes as a proven runningback who can also catch the ball and pass protect moderately well. Maybe, in addition to Rhodes and Jordan keeping each other fresh for the entire season, having Rhodes on the roster will motivate Jordan even more than he will be in proving he can bounce back.

The Raiders should run more than they pass in 2007, and the backfield will likely be the most consistent portion of the passing/receiving game, I think:
  1. Obviously, they now have a two-headed monster of LaMont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes at runningback. And Justin Griffith is one of the better receiving fullbacks in the league.
  2. At least one new quarterback will be added to the roster, most likely a rookie. Young quarterback Andrew Walter also remains, and he's not in any position to carry a team.
  3. It's easier to ask a new offensive line to run block than pass block.
  4. It's easier to ask a quarterback, behind a new offensive line and in terms of accuracy, to pass the ball to the runningback than throw the ball deep down the field (amazing how Walsh couldn't get this into his skull).
  5. The threat of the play-action pass can help in passing the ball down the field.
  6. New head coach Lane Kiffin has to decide how much of the offense he ultimately envisions for the Raiders can be installed this year, especially depending on who's the quarterback, while also erasing the trash of last year's offense.
  7. Running the ball, or even dumping off the ball in a run-like pass, will help keep the Raiders' playoff-caliber defense off the field. They had no chance last year.
  8. Although each AFC West rival has a flaw in its pass defense - Denver (no pass rush), Kansas City Chiefs (linebackers in coverage/old corners/young safeties who might enter starting lineup), and San Diego (their pass rush does wonders to cover up their secondary) - running the ball would seem to be the best course of attack against the rest of the AFC West.
  9. Calvin Johnson is a stud, but you can't bank your offense on him taking the league by storm as a rookie. Hence a 2-year contract for Rhodes.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderLifer
Rookie

RaiderLifer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I've always liked LaMont Jordan, thought he had a very good 2005 season when the Raiders got the ball in his hands, and was surprised that people could not see that he wasn't going to have a good 2006 season thanks to the offensive coordinator/system in place. He'll bounce back with Lane Kiffin and Greg Knapp calling the shots.

That said, it's smart thinking by the Oakland Raiders to sign Dominic Rhodes as a proven runningback who can also catch the ball and pass protect moderately well. Maybe, in addition to Rhodes and Jordan keeping each other fresh for the entire season, having Rhodes on the roster will motivate Jordan even more than he will be in proving he can bounce back.

The Raiders should run more than they pass in 2007, and the backfield will likely be the most consistent portion of the passing/receiving game, I think:
  1. Obviously, they now have a two-headed monster of LaMont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes at runningback. And Justin Griffith is one of the better receiving fullbacks in the league.
  2. At least one new quarterback will be added to the roster, most likely a rookie. Young quarterback Andrew Walter also remains, and he's not in any position to carry a team.
  3. It's easier to ask a new offensive line to run block than pass block.
  4. It's easier to ask a quarterback, behind a new offensive line and in terms of accuracy, to pass the ball to the runningback than throw the ball deep down the field (amazing how Walsh couldn't get this into his skull).
  5. The threat of the play-action pass can help in passing the ball down the field.
  6. New head coach Lane Kiffin has to decide how much of the offense he ultimately envisions for the Raiders can be installed this year, especially depending on who's the quarterback, while also erasing the trash of last year's offense.
  7. Running the ball, or even dumping off the ball in a run-like pass, will help keep the Raiders' playoff-caliber defense off the field. They had no chance last year.
  8. Although each AFC West rival has a flaw in its pass defense - Denver (no pass rush), Kansas City Chiefs (linebackers in coverage/old corners/young safeties who might enter starting lineup), and San Diego (their pass rush does wonders to cover up their secondary) - running the ball would seem to be the best course of attack against the rest of the AFC West.
  9. Calvin Johnson is a stud, but you can't bank your offense on him taking the league by storm as a rookie. Hence a 2-year contract for Rhodes.
Great Post! I like the fact that it looks like we will be reliant on the run game this year. With a D like ours we should be running the ball 30-35 times a game. I still believe Walter, with a more QB friendly system, can be a game manager at the very least and has all the tools to develop into something more down the road. If we go Russell or Quinn I wouldn't be pissed at all but I would love to see us trade Moss sign a vet (Green, Rattay, even Harrington) and draft CJ. Run the hell out of the ball and with CJ, Porter, and Curry we shouldn't be facing too many 8 man fronts in the run game. Next year as our QB (Walter or whoever) become more comfortable in the offense we start to open it up with 3 WR sets and CJ becomes a PRO BOWLER!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Great points Geo, best way to get success out of a young QB is to take the pressure off with a good run game, looks like we will be committed to the run. I love it.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was a bit schocked with the signing quite honestly, but i think it could be pretty good.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Alright signing, we could of at least waited for somebody a little better like Chris Brown or somebody.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote