Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I hate when people say players are busts without them getting a proper and fair chance.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Well I hate when people say players are busts without them getting a proper and fair chance.
i dont really consider 3rd round and on to be busts, shipley and summers wont be known as busts, they will be known as wasted picks. basically how urbik will be remembered. he didnt have value at that spot so it was more of a reach and fail more than a bust.

i hope the man turns into a perennial pro bowler and makes me look like a ******* idiot...that would be awesome
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

As drafniks we all have our opinions on our picks; mostly from clips and other peoples views. When you watch a player for several years you have a more solid perspective of what he is like. For instance, I like the Limas Sweed pick because he looked good the couple times I saw him in college. Now that I've seen him with clumsy hands, buffoon feet and terrible psyche, I can't see him being of any use to us. I watch a lot of big 10 games and usually have a more solid perspective on players from that conference. Hence my fascination with Brandon Graham and to a lesser extent Andrew Quarless, among others. I never saw Urbik as a premiere talent. I would love for him to prove me wrong. It happened with Larry Foote. I thought he was a player who peaked in college and was too small and slow to be anything other than a special teams player in the nfl. a couple seasons ago I thought he was our most consistant and mvp. Since Urbik was behind Legursky and foster, obviously the coaches are not enamored with him either.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
As drafniks we all have our opinions on our picks; mostly from clips and other peoples views. When you watch a player for several years you have a more solid perspective of what he is like. For instance, I like the Limas Sweed pick because he looked good the couple times I saw him in college. Now that I've seen him with clumsy hands, buffoon feet and terrible psyche, I can't see him being of any use to us. I watch a lot of big 10 games and usually have a more solid perspective on players from that conference. Hence my fascination with Brandon Graham and to a lesser extent Andrew Quarless, among others. I never saw Urbik as a premiere talent. I would love for him to prove me wrong. It happened with Larry Foote. I thought he was a player who peaked in college and was too small and slow to be anything other than a special teams player in the nfl. a couple seasons ago I thought he was our most consistant and mvp. Since Urbik was behind Legursky and foster, obviously the coaches are not enamored with him either.

exactly...i have opinions about players well before we draft them, i am all about the draft as all you guys are im sure...its the main reason i watch college football. i didnt like hood for the steelers, but id be thrilled if i was a colts fan and they drafted him.

never liked urbik at all, he didnt do anything to change my mind. if im wrong, then damnit ill admit i was wrong. i HATED the idea of drafting revis a few years ago, the man made me eat my words in a big way
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

So who are we drafting to replace Holmes?
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
So who are we drafting to replace Holmes?
I'd target Bryant, but the team probably won't, given the fact he's also got some issues.

Golden Tate, Bey Bey, Arrelious Benn are the top three guys other than Bryant for me. Those three could be special players.

Tate plays like a Steve Smith/Hines Ward hybrid, Bey Bey is like Brandon Marshall, and Benn is like Boldin.

Any of the three would be great additions / replacements.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I'd target Bryant, but the team probably won't, given the fact he's also got some issues.

Golden Tate, Bey Bey, Arrelious Benn are the top three guys other than Bryant for me. Those three could be special players.

Tate plays like a Steve Smith/Hines Ward hybrid, Bey Bey is like Brandon Marshall, and Benn is like Boldin.

Any of the three would be great additions / replacements.
So do you think WR is a first round need then? I think it might be, but it'll be all about value of WR prospects vs. value of prospects available at other positions of need.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
So do you think WR is a first round need then? I think it might be, but it'll be all about value of WR prospects vs. value of prospects available at other positions of need.
Other than Bryant, all other guys would be reaches at 18. Justifiable? Sure. But I'd rather trade down for either of them, or trade back up in the second.

If Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas are available in the first, and Bryant is gone, I'd take one of them and trade up in the second.

Otherwise, trade down in the first.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Finnegans Wake
Rookie

Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.

Philly and Pittsburgh both have 11 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 2.55 + 4.105 Philly

On traditional points, that's 960 we're giving up and 964 we're receiving.

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

I personally like the idea of 6 picks R2-4.

Just thinkin'.

Last edited by Finnegans Wake : 04-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Finnegans Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
Philly and Pittsburgh both have 10 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 3.82 + 4.105 Philly

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

Just thinkin'.
Again, no Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas, and that would be perfect.

Also, why three second rounders? Wouldn't it be two second rounders and two thirds?

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

Quote:
Philly and Pittsburgh both have 10 picks. If Philly wanted to grab two R1 players, would you pull the trigger on this:

Pitt 1.18 + 5.151 + 5.155 (Holmes) <---> 2.37 (McNabb) + 3.82 + 4.105 Philly

Would then have:

5.164 C
5.166 C
7.242 C

Just thinkin'.
I'd rather have 18.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Finnegans Wake
Rookie

Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.Finnegans Wake is a cocksman.

Quote:
Again, no Pouncey or Iupati or Graham or Thomas, and that would be perfect.

Also, why three second rounders? Wouldn't it be two second rounders and two thirds?
Corrected the original. We get their two R2 for our R1, and they get our two R5 non-comps for a R4.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Corrected the original. We get their two R2 for our R1, and they get our two R5 non-comps for a R4.
Three seconds would be awesome.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have 11 picks, not 10.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Finnegans Wake
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
We have 11 picks, not 10.
Yeah, what the hell? We both have 11 picks. You can tell it's a Monday.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:06 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i would trade the 4th, both 5ths and the 6th and 7th for a 2nd and 3rd or something.

then just have 4-5 picks in the first 3 rounds and the comp picks. no way we need all 11 picks
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what's up guys, got a question for you...

How much water does Iupati's Senior Bowl performance hold as far as how you view him as a prospect? I had him in a mock to you at 18 w/ McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez all off the board. Got ripped apart for it by Steeler fans basically saying that Guards shouldn't be taken that high, and he's not the elite prospect we thought he was after Geno Atkins got the better of him at the Senior Bowl, that C/OT are bigger needs for you, etc.

Am I just taking crazy pills or is that generally how Steeler fans feel about Iupati?

and just a sidenote: with you're second pick would you rather have Jahvid Best or Mardy Gilyard?

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-19-2010 at 07:06 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Pouncey. He would start from day one and improve this offense. Iupati could as well, but if they're both there Id take Pouncey.

In the 2nd, if they're looking at receiver, I'd like to trade up and land Golden Tate or Benn. Those are my two favorite receivers in this draft.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
what's up guys, got a question for you...

How much water does Iupati's Senior Bowl performance hold as far as how you view him as a prospect? I had him in a mock to you at 18 w/ McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez all off the board. Got ripped apart for it by Steeler fans basically saying that Guards shouldn't be taken that high, and he's not the elite prospect we thought he was after Geno Atkins got the better of him at the Senior Bowl, that C/OT are bigger needs for you, etc.

Am I just taking crazy pills or is that generally how Steeler fans feel about Iupati?

and just a sidenote: with you're second pick would you rather have Jahvid Best or Mardy Gilyard?
With McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez off the board, I think the pick is between Iupati and Pouncey, Graham also just because we all really want him, lol.

I'd like Iupati, and have no issues taking him at 18 with those guys off the board. While it is hard to justify a guard at 18, it's just as hard do to so for a center, so if someone says we shouldn't go guard at 18 because they shouldn't go that high but still want a center there, they've got a very questionable argument.

The highest centers have gone recently are Jeff Faine and Alex Mack at 21 each, with guards being somewhere around those picks too.

Iupati's still a great pick at 18 for us, no matter if guards shouldn't go that high. We need help all across the line, and while center is also a big need for us, tackle not so much. As nice as it'd be to get a franchise tackle, the top 4 guys will be gone and we're not taking Bruce Campbell. Plus, the coaching staff really like Starks and Colon as the starters, much to our frustration. They played well at time last year, but we could do better.

And for the record, I don't know why Pouncey's stock soared from a mid second rounder to a mid first rounder. The guy didn't do that much IMO to warrant such an increase, but that's the way these things happen, I suppose. People all of a sudden started lauding him and he rose. A mid-first center should be the next Dermontti Dawson.

Plus, we always go BPA in the first two rounds. Usually if it meets an area of need, we go there, like Hood last year. So I think Iupati could be near the top of the list with the way your draft went.

And for the second pick, trade up for Tate or Benn. If not, I'd go Best, just to have another RB. We have Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and three guys with a whopping 3 games of experience from all three combined.

Hope this helps.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
With McClain, Spiller, Haden, ET, and Dez off the board, I think the pick is between Iupati and Pouncey, Graham also just because we all really want him, lol.

I'd like Iupati, and have no issues taking him at 18 with those guys off the board. While it is hard to justify a guard at 18, it's just as hard do to so for a center, so if someone says we shouldn't go guard at 18 because they shouldn't go that high but still want a center there, they've got a very questionable argument.

The highest centers have gone recently are Jeff Faine and Alex Mack at 21 each, with guards being somewhere around those picks too.

Iupati's still a great pick at 18 for us, no matter if guards shouldn't go that high. We need help all across the line, and while center is also a big need for us, tackle not so much. As nice as it'd be to get a franchise tackle, the top 4 guys will be gone and we're not taking Bruce Campbell. Plus, the coaching staff really like Starks and Colon as the starters, much to our frustration. They played well at time last year, but we could do better.

And for the record, I don't know why Pouncey's stock soared from a mid second rounder to a mid first rounder. The guy didn't do that much IMO to warrant such an increase, but that's the way these things happen, I suppose. People all of a sudden started lauding him and he rose. A mid-first center should be the next Dermontti Dawson.

Plus, we always go BPA in the first two rounds. Usually if it meets an area of need, we go there, like Hood last year. So I think Iupati could be near the top of the list with the way your draft went.

And for the second pick, trade up for Tate or Benn. If not, I'd go Best, just to have another RB. We have Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and three guys with a whopping 3 games of experience from all three combined.

Hope this helps.
i always thought pouncey would be a first rounder, not so much a top 15 consideration but the man can ball. im saying pouncey > mack/wood/unger. just a notch below mangold and a notch below mangold=pro bowl center

i dont know how ben isnt terrified to take snaps from hartwig. imo pouncey is a much more refined player than iupati but both have elite potential.

on a side note....draft is getting ******* close lol
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i always thought pouncey would be a first rounder, not so much a top 15 consideration but the man can ball. im saying pouncey > mack/wood/unger. just a notch below mangold and a notch below mangold=pro bowl center

i dont know how ben isnt terrified to take snaps from hartwig. imo pouncey is a much more refined player than iupati but both have elite potential.

on a side note....draft is getting ******* close lol
Yeah, that's true, Pouncey is ready to play at a higher level than Iupati right now.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, and IMO A combo of Best and Mendenhall would be sick.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That draft didn't end up too bad.

Last edited by ellsy82 : 04-02-2011 at 08:14 PM.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote