Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rank the NFC South and their likely records

I'm going to be a risk taker with these records.

Atlanta Falcons - 10-6
New Orleans Saints - 10-6
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 8-8
Carolina Panthers - 7-9

Hoo-rah.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampa Bay - 10-6
New Orleans - 10-6
Carolina - 8-8
Atlanta - 5-11

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. Saints - 11-5
2. Falcons - 8-8
3. Panthers - 7-9
4. Buccaneers - 5-11
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Explain your Bucs pick SaintsFan. If we get CJ we will be far from 5-11. The Falcons are not the 2nd best team in the division either.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Explain your Bucs pick SaintsFan. If we get CJ we will be far from 5-11. The Falcons are not the 2nd best team in the division either.
Don't kid yourself. The Bucs are not a good team at all, and there isn't one single player in the draft that will change that. Your Offensive and Defensive Lines are weak, and your "key players" (Garcia, Brooks, Barber, Quarles, Galloway, Rice) are all entering the twilight of their careers. I'm not sold on any of your offensive players other than Cadillac (and he can't do much behind that weak line), and that once dominant D just doesn't have it anymore. A rookie WR will not change a 4-12 team to 10-6, and they haven't made any significant upgrades over last year's team yet. Jeff Garcia had MUCH more talent surrounding him in Philly, so don't be surprised if and when you get the Detroit or Cleveland version of Garcia.

The Falcons and Panthers should battle it out for #2, so how can you say they aren't the #2 team in the division?

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Bucs line is better than you make it out to be. Petitgout is an upgrade at LT, Trueblood/Joseph will have gotten more experience, and Davis likely slides inside, allowing them to better run the ball. Could use another interior lineman perhaps, but history has shown they can be found later. A pickup of, say, Satele or Fry inside at center, with Joseph/Davis at guard, and Petitgout/Trueblood looks like a solid starting 5 to me. An improved running game should help the passing game.

Not sayiing the Bucs will do anything great this year, as this is the Saints division to lose as of right now, but I think their line is better than you make it sound.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
1. Saints - 11-5
2. Falcons - 8-8
3. Panthers - 7-9
4. Buccaneers - 5-11

This I agree with at this moment.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

We have our share of problems, but Gruden is a good coach and he will focus on our key pieces. Simms will be back to his 05 form and so will Cadillac behind an improved and more experienced line. CJ will be a much-needed playmaker. Our defensive line will be brutal I expect, but hopefully Simeon can have another pro-bowl caliber season. Barrett Ruud is stepping in at LB and he is a budding young star, so LB should be a strength with Nece entering his prime and Brooks still in top-shape (age is becoming a problem though). Ronde is getting older, but Phillip Buchanon will get a chance to learn the system this year and use his talents to start over Kelly. Our safeties are entering their prime so they should improve.

All of this adds up to a playoff contender at the very least, and I can't see our record being lower than 7-9. The Falcons have a ton of weaknesses and are having a bad offseason IMO, so I think they are a lock to finish last in our division. Carolina is not as talented as usual this year, but they could surprise as always.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

zCaddyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sains 10-6
Bucs 8-8
Falcons 6-10
Panthers 5-11 i hate jake and he's gonna sux next year
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Odd, I thought I had posted my "as of now" order ...

Anyhow

1. Saints - It's their division to lose. They've had a very solid offseason so far acquiring leadership, taking good gambles, and improving key aspects of the team. A good draft, and they could set themselves pretty for the short and long term. Expected win range as of now: 10-12.

2. Panthers - It's a make or break year, but if they are healthy on the OL, the entire team should be better. Another receiving option (or 2) is needed, so we'll see how that goes. Defensively, they need some help at safety. I think their corners will rebound. It'll be interesting to see if a DL addition is added, and LB, as usual, could use some more work still. Expected win range as of now: 6-9.

3. Falcons - Very close with the Panthers, but I'm concerned about the defense. The trenches should be a big concern on either side, especially the defense, with Grady Jackson coming off surgery. Offensively, how fast they adapt to Petrino's schemes will determine how well they do. Expected win range as of now: 6-9.

4. Buccaneers - Make or break season for this leadership, so expect them to go full bore. A nice complement of picks will help. The improved offensive line should help protect whoever the QB is. Best guess as of now is the veteran Jeff Garcia. The power run game should be able to get going. They need another key receiving option. Defensive concerns are littered everywhere, especially up front. Can they build a solid enough unit? It's possible, and with extra picks, they can, at the very least, add to the depth. I have a similar win range, as of now, to the other two squads: 6-8.

Tis early, and changes will happen and could shake up the order somewhat.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I think the Bucs line is better than you make it out to be. Petitgout is an upgrade at LT, Trueblood/Joseph will have gotten more experience, and Davis likely slides inside, allowing them to better run the ball. Could use another interior lineman perhaps, but history has shown they can be found later. A pickup of, say, Satele or Fry inside at center, with Joseph/Davis at guard, and Petitgout/Trueblood looks like a solid starting 5 to me. An improved running game should help the passing game.

Not sayiing the Bucs will do anything great this year, as this is the Saints division to lose as of right now, but I think their line is better than you make it sound.
Eh, the right side of the line has good upside in Joseph & Trueblood, but the rest of the line is still pretty weak if you ask me. Petitgout is average. Davis has been incredibly inconsistent, and Wade is way past his best days. The O-Line has been Tampa's main weakness for a few years now, and even if it performs slightly better next season, it's still far from "good."

The main thing is that this is an aging team, big time, and is about to have to enter a rebuilding process.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

We are only entering a rebuilding process on defense, and not at all positions either. Don't get your hopes up, the Bucs will not be an easy out for the Saints and we are not a cakewalk rebuilding team. We still have key young pieces and we are about to draft more.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We have our share of problems, but Gruden is a good coach and he will focus on our key pieces. Simms will be back to his 05 form and so will Cadillac behind an improved and more experienced line. CJ will be a much-needed playmaker. Our defensive line will be brutal I expect, but hopefully Simeon can have another pro-bowl caliber season. Barrett Ruud is stepping in at LB and he is a budding young star, so LB should be a strength with Nece entering his prime and Brooks still in top-shape (age is becoming a problem though). Ronde is getting older, but Phillip Buchanon will get a chance to learn the system this year and use his talents to start over Kelly. Our safeties are entering their prime so they should improve.

All of this adds up to a playoff contender at the very least, and I can't see our record being lower than 7-9. The Falcons have a ton of weaknesses and are having a bad offseason IMO, so I think they are a lock to finish last in our division. Carolina is not as talented as usual this year, but they could surprise as always.
This post was humorous to me. It's littered with optimism, and speculative assumptions. If I wanted to post two paragraphs as to why each player on the Falcons would have their 'best individual seasons ever,' and other conjecture about the team, I could do so easily. The post reached new levels of absurdity when you state your opinion that the Falcons "are a lock to finish last in our division." When all the facts led me to believe that the Saints were likewise going to struggle last year. I was wrong about that, and I admitted such. No team in the NFL is a "lock" for anything.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-12-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i tihnk the falcons might have a huge year and they have the opportunity to select who they want to in the draft. i think the falcons will win this division. if vick plays well...
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Saints (11-5)
2. Panthers (9-7)
3. Falcons (8-8)
4. Buccaneers (6-10)

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very optimistic look from me right now.

Saints 11-5 - very optimistic on this.. we have a VERY tough schedule this year, but if Defensive upgrades are made through the Draft this record is attainable.

Panthers 10 - 6 - I think they are still a good team, which fell harshly victim to the injury bug last season. If they can keep their key players healthy I think they can take a wild card spot, or possibly challenge for the division. We haven't beaten the Panthers under Payton yet.

Falcons 8-8 - tough to say.. first year for players adjusting in the new scheme, and system, I'm going to say they show signs of improvement, but not quite there yet.

Buccaneers 5-11 - still a lot of question marks along the O-line, how will the QB situation turn out? they need to add some youth to an aging Defense as well.

last year was a bit of a down year for the NFC South, my fear is that either Carolina, or Atlanta will go back to contending form and be legit contenders, or that TB might be a surprise team.

Last edited by Auron : 03-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We are only entering a rebuilding process on defense, and not at all positions either. Don't get your hopes up, the Bucs will not be an easy out for the Saints and we are not a cakewalk rebuilding team. We still have key young pieces and we are about to draft more.
You are entirely too optimistic. It's nearing the point of humor.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Very optimistic look from me right now.

Saints 11-5 - very optimistic on this.. we have a VERY tough schedule this year, but if Defensive upgrades are made through the Draft this record is attainable.
We have one of the easiest schedules in the league next year...

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You are entirely too optimistic. It's nearing the point of humor.
Lol did the Bucs even get a Divisional win at all this season? Panthers, Falcons, & Saints swept them..

I'm not saying they can't improve..because certainly they won't be as bad as this season, but they have to re-tool almost their entire D-line.. (White, McFarland, possibly Rice who might be a cap casualty) and they have issues with Secondary depth... outside of Ronde.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Eh, the right side of the line has good upside in Joseph & Trueblood, but the rest of the line is still pretty weak if you ask me. Petitgout is average. Davis has been incredibly inconsistent, and Wade is way past his best days. The O-Line has been Tampa's main weakness for a few years now, and even if it performs slightly better next season, it's still far from "good."

The main thing is that this is an aging team, big time, and is about to have to enter a rebuilding process.
Not really discussing the Bucs in general, but the OL

Davis has been inconsistent at LT because well, he really doesn't have the skillset for it. Now, no one knows how he'd do inside, but the skillset matches up much better, and Petitgout is, while not good, still a decent starting LT in the NFL, and definitely an upgrade from Davis. Not saying it's a great line, but I think it'd be in the mid-tier of the NFL.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
We have one of the easiest schedules in the league next year...
How is it easy?

We play the Defending Champion Colts, at their house.

We play @ Qwest, and @ Soldier, 2 legit NFC contenders in harsh road enviroments. (Seahawks, Bears)

We draw the Eagles at home again.. this time they'll have McNabb back and it'll be a revenge game for them.

The rest of NFC South has a chance of being much improved, Jacksonville, Tennessee won't be cake walks either..

very far from easy, I'd say it's one of more difficult schedules in the league. The overall number for Strength of Schedule is brought down by the Division opponents.

Last edited by Auron : 03-12-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
one_of_a_kind24
Rookie

one_of_a_kind24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

To everybody who is saying that the Bucs defense is old, the average age is 27.7. I didn't include practice squad players or anything, I just did the average age of the players who played.
one_of_a_kind24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Not really discussing the Bucs in general, but the OL

Davis has been inconsistent at LT because well, he really doesn't have the skillset for it. Now, no one knows how he'd do inside, but the skillset matches up much better, and Petitgout is, while not good, still a decent starting LT in the NFL, and definitely an upgrade from Davis. Not saying it's a great line, but I think it'd be in the mid-tier of the NFL.
Petitgout has played every O-Line position except center. If I were a Bucs fan I would be pulling hard for them to draft Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson and either place Petitgout at left guard, or have him as the primary backup at every O-Line position.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
one_of_a_kind24
Rookie

one_of_a_kind24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Lol did the Bucs even get a Divisional win at all this season? Panthers, Falcons, & Saints swept them..

I'm not saying they can't improve..because certainly they won't be as bad as this season, but they have to re-tool almost their entire D-line.. (White, McFarland, possibly Rice who might be a cap casualty) and they have issues with Secondary depth... outside of Ronde.
No he won't. We have plenty of cap space. 13+ million
one_of_a_kind24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_of_a_kind24 View Post
To everybody who is saying that the Bucs defense is old, the average age is 27.7. I didn't include practice squad players or anything, I just did the average age of the players who played.
The problem is the only really old players were the only really good players on the defense. Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Kevin Carter, etcetera.