Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Trade proposal from a Bucs fan...

I understand you are in need for a Left Tackle after cutting ties with Flozell Adams.

If you haven't read already, the Bucs are not willing to pay donald Penn the money and give him a long term deal. Also, rumor has it that they are shopping him and may unload him come draft day.

He is a very good Left Tackle, but I think the organization just doesn't want to pay him for some reason. Also, they have brought in LT Charles Brown from USC for a 2 day visit, so their seems to be some interest.

My proposal would be is do you Cowboys fans think that Dallas would give up their 1st round pick (27th overall) to Tampa Bay for Donald Penn, a proven Left Tackle?

Feedback is welcome, and again, I am just curious so don't bash this trade idea. I know dallas is in need of a tackle and thoguht they might be the most logical team because they have the money to extend him.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not buying the NEED for a LT. You don't release your starting LT if you don't have 100% confidence that his backup can out-play him. I don't buy the "we have to draft a LT 1st now" argument either for the same reason. If we didn't believe Doug Free couldn't start we would of waited until AFTER the draft to see if the drafted player was capable of starting over Flozell. Flozell wasn't due a bonus until JULY. So this wasn't a decision that had to be made now. It's a popular knee-jerk overreaction that our LT spot is now manned by a high school cheerleader.

Donald Penn is also 28 years old, solid but NOT spectacular, and has struggled with weight issues in the past. That combination IMHO doesn't add up to a first round pick.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Not buying the NEED for a LT. You don't release your starting LT if you don't have 100% confidence that his backup can out-play him. I don't buy the "we have to draft a LT 1st now" argument either for the same reason. If we didn't believe Doug Free couldn't start we would of waited until AFTER the draft to see if the drafted player was capable of starting over Flozell. Flozell wasn't due a bonus until JULY. So this wasn't a decision that had to be made now. It's a popular knee-jerk overreaction that our LT spot is now manned by a high school cheerleader.

Donald Penn is also 28 years old, solid but NOT spectacular, and has struggled with weight issues in the past. That combination IMHO doesn't add up to a first round pick.
A couple things to list that you might be wrong about. 1. Donald Penn is only 26 years old, so he is relatively young for a LT.

2. He was able to hold his own against premiere pass rushers over the past 2 years. He was missing the mauler of Aaron Sears at LG also. He has shut down guys like Peppers, Jared Allen, Demarcus Ware, John Abraham, and Will Smith. Peppers only had 2 sacks in 1 game agianst the Bucs this past year bc he was lined up against Trueblood, not Penn.

He gave up 7 sacks in the past two seasons, and as much as I'd love for the Bucs to keep him, the Front Office doesn't want to shell the money out for an extension, so I think he would be worth a late first round pick for a top 7 LT in this league.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would pass on this, I'd consider a 2nd rounder though.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM    (permalink
superfly69
Rookie

superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A swap of picks maybe. Tampas 2nd and Penn for Dallas' 1st and a 4th.
superfly69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly69 View Post
A swap of picks maybe. Tampas 2nd and Penn for Dallas' 1st and a 4th.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Read that article. Penn may not be worth a 1st and 3rd, but he certainly is worth a late 1st round pick.

Also, why would the bucs give up donald penn and a 2nd for Dallas 1 and 4th? That might be the worst deal I heard of. Dallas definately would get away with highway robbery on that one.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Read that article. Penn may not be worth a 1st and 3rd, but he certainly is worth a late 1st round pick.

Also, why would the bucs give up donald penn and a 2nd for Dallas 1 and 4th? That might be the worst deal I heard of. Dallas definately would get away with highway robbery on that one.
Well it would help us feel a little better about our FO after the Roy Williams fiasco at least :)

But really, I just don't see it happening. Dallas appears set with giving Doug Free a shot at left tackle this season and going from there based on his performance. They'll keep an ear out for depth in the draft (i.e. cheap rookie alternatives). It probably won't happen unless the Bucs are willing to give him up at a discount bargain.

You might want to Check the Cardinals forum...I'm pretty sure they are in need of a starting left tackle more than Dallas is.

Last edited by bluebonnet78 : 04-18-2010 at 04:42 PM.
bluebonnet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Feedback is welcome, and again, I am just curious so don't bash this trade idea. I know dallas is in need of a tackle and thoguht they might be the most logical team because they have the money to extend him.
Quote:
Look at you man... You come in here asking for opinions and not bash your idea and then you bash someone's response to you???

Think bro, think.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahaha...the simple quick answer for you is NO. We have Doug Free and he is going to be given every opportunity to be our future LT. Contrary to popular belief, Dallas is set at OT at the moment both positions have a backup...interior OL is actually a slightly bigger need imo.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Teams would trade a 1st RD'er for Jared Gaither waaaay before they'd trade it for Donald Penn. If the Bucs end up trading him, I doubt they get a 1st RD'er in return.

*skulks back to the Titans forum*

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Look at you man... You come in here asking for opinions and not bash your idea and then you bash someone's response to you???

Think bro, think.
Don't mean to "bash" your trade idea, but isn't that deal, Penn and a 2nd round pick, for a 1st and 4th, sound unreasonable? I mean, why would the Bucs trade a quality LT, whom is proven and most likely better than any other LT at 27, and their 2nd round pick for a 1st?

I think it sounds more reasonable for that deal straight up, maybe the Bucs can throw a late round pick in their, who knows. I am just explaining is that Penn, even though he did gain that much weight, still was able to hold off pass rushers like Ware, Peppers, Clay Matthews, Will Smith, John Abraham, Justin Tuck. Only was accounted for giving up 4 sacks total this year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't mean to "bash" your trade idea, but isn't that deal, Penn and a 2nd round pick, for a 1st and 4th, sound unreasonable? I mean, why would the Bucs trade a quality LT, whom is proven and most likely better than any other LT at 27, and their 2nd round pick for a 1st?

I think it sounds more reasonable for that deal straight up, maybe the Bucs can throw a late round pick in their, who knows. I am just explaining is that Penn, even though he did gain that much weight, still was able to hold off pass rushers like Ware, Peppers, Clay Matthews, Will Smith, John Abraham, Justin Tuck. Only was accounted for giving up 4 sacks total this year.
It wasn't my idea or post that you bashed. But that's besides the point. Even if you think it's a bad deal, why would you say something like "That might be the worst deal I heard of", when you were the one who said to be kind to your idea.

Jared Gaither and Brandon Marshall couldn't get a 1st rounder in return. Do you think Donald Penn is a higher caliber player, that he would command it? The link to nfl.com was cute, but I bet some writer out there thought Santonio Holmes was worth more than a 5th rounder too...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:00 AM    (permalink
JoeyHeisman
Rookie

JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeyHeisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sounds to me like you're just a little too proud of Penn, and think a lot more of him than anyone else around here.
JoeyHeisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not me, I love Penn and think he deserves a big contract because he is our best o-lineman. Then again, I'm a Bucs fan...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL@this.

Jared Gaither probably isn't going to garner a 1st round pick, so why would Donald Penn? It doesn't really matter because it's not going to happen, but trust me when I say we would much rather keep our picks and go with Doug Free.

Everyone keeps coming up with all these trade proposals for a LT when we had the guy we liked already which led to Flozell being cut. Were not trading for a LT, so we can stop with the proposals for #27 for a LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...=25&numgames=1

Look how horrible Donald Penn was last year. Coincidentally, look how good Doug Free was.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A couple things to list that you might be wrong about. 1. Donald Penn is only 26 years old, so he is relatively young for a LT.

2. He was able to hold his own against premiere pass rushers over the past 2 years. He was missing the mauler of Aaron Sears at LG also. He has shut down guys like Peppers, Jared Allen, Demarcus Ware, John Abraham, and Will Smith. Peppers only had 2 sacks in 1 game agianst the Bucs this past year bc he was lined up against Trueblood, not Penn.

He gave up 7 sacks in the past two seasons, and as much as I'd love for the Bucs to keep him, the Front Office doesn't want to shell the money out for an extension, so I think he would be worth a late first round pick for a top 7 LT in this league.
Alright, so if all this is true why the hell would Tampa trade him?