Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Are the Jets allowed to start signing people like other teams once training camp starts? Or the preseason?
I believe July 22 is the last day the Final 8 restrictions are on the Jets.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

As for the Braylon topic, he's going to start off as the starter. Firstly, Santonio is going to be suspended, and secondly because he probably has a better idea of the offense. The Jets love the fact that he is a huge target to throw to. However, I would rather have Santonio out of the slot. He doesn't have the catching issues that Braylon has displayed numerous times (that Buffalo thumper is permanently installed in my brain), has insane speed (not saying that Braylon doesn't because he tends to get past most receivers). I think he'll be more productive in the slot, but I personally would like to see him outside of it.

Let me ask you guys what you're thoughts are on trading up in the second round to get an outside rush? I am saying this based on the idea that we would address the 5 technique with Odrick in the first round (which I just see being a stellar pick for some reason)?

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Cotchery has the best skill set of the 3 to play the slot with his hands, route running, short area quickness, and YAC ability. He'd tear up 3rd CB's. He should be a starter, but I think even if he is he'll slide inside to play the slot in 3 WR sets. The other two are better outside guys and more vertical and he's got a great skill set to play the slot and more than enough intelligence.

I'd be alright with it but I don't really know who's going to be there. I honestly think most of the valuable pass rushers are going to be gone by the time pick #29 rolls around (I think Odrick will be also FWIW), don't see who would be there to move up for in round 2. I'd be open to it if somebody good was on the board, but I'd probably rather try to get Greg Hardy at a good value, at least he's got the potential to be an elite pass rusher unlike most.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-schedule.html

Read numbers 1 and 2 under "News and notes around the league". Lombardi is convinced that we are either going to trade or waive Bryan Thomas, Shaun Ellis, and Alan Faneca.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-schedule.html

Read numbers 1 and 2 under "News and notes around the league". Lombardi is convinced that we are either going to trade or waive Bryan Thomas, Shaun Ellis, and Alan Faneca.
Really weird move if it happens. I get that they're all older guys, but I'm not sure exactly where the replacements come from.

Defensive end is really thin right now anyway, I guess that signals re-signing Douglas but that's still a thin spot anyway. Read somewhere that Gholston may attempt to bulk up and play end, which could be good for his career since he's not awful at just taking up blockers, but I don't think anyone's banking on him being an answer there. You have to draft guys there anyway, why just create a bigger hole? Unless they love Pitoitua or something.

Outside linebacker the only things I can think of are that we're locked into drafting somebody or they like Westerman and Taylor splitting the role and Taylor's coming in. I'd be interested to see Westerman get more play time so if that's what the move's for and he's actually going to have success it's nice, kind of like the Pitoitua situation would be at end, but that'd kind of be coming out of nowhere. He did well when he played last year, but not like he played a ton.

With Faneca at LG maybe Slauson's really come around or they see Turner or Hunter being a starting caliber guy. I guess with the added WR's they're not going to be running as much jumbo stuff, so if the team really wants one of those guys on the field and thinks they're superior to Faneca maybe give that a shot, but I think it's a case of overthinking.

I just don't see the cap savings or on the field help for the team right now. And if all three are gone there must be a belief that there are internal solutions, which seems questionable to me. Ellis is the most confusing, but all three would be odd. Thomas didn't get sacks but is one of the better coverage LB's on the team and Faneca was part of a great OL last year. Just not sure why you mess around, especially when you're not saving a ton of money. Woody I think creates some cap savings and had his issues, I could see cutting him. These other guys don't make as much sense. If you can get draft picks that's nice, but not like you're going to get a ton for them, and apparently it's better to cut them for minimal cap savings in an uncapped year than to keep 3 starters from last year on the team. Just strikes me as odd, wonder if Lombardi is stirring the pot just for the sake of it. Seemed pretty confident though.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Really weird move if it happens. I get that they're all older guys, but I'm not sure exactly where the replacements come from.

Defensive end is really thin right now anyway, I guess that signals re-signing Douglas but that's still a thin spot anyway. Read somewhere that Gholston may attempt to bulk up and play end, which could be good for his career since he's not awful at just taking up blockers, but I don't think anyone's banking on him being an answer there. You have to draft guys there anyway, why just create a bigger hole? Unless they love Pitoitua or something.

Outside linebacker the only things I can think of are that we're locked into drafting somebody or they like Westerman and Taylor splitting the role and Taylor's coming in. I'd be interested to see Westerman get more play time so if that's what the move's for and he's actually going to have success it's nice, kind of like the Pitoitua situation would be at end, but that'd kind of be coming out of nowhere. He did well when he played last year, but not like he played a ton.

With Faneca at LG maybe Slauson's really come around or they see Turner or Hunter being a starting caliber guy. I guess with the added WR's they're not going to be running as much jumbo stuff, so if the team really wants one of those guys on the field and thinks they're superior to Faneca maybe give that a shot, but I think it's a case of overthinking.

I just don't see the cap savings or on the field help for the team right now. And if all three are gone there must be a belief that there are internal solutions, which seems questionable to me. Ellis is the most confusing, but all three would be odd. Thomas didn't get sacks but is one of the better coverage LB's on the team and Faneca was part of a great OL last year. Just not sure why you mess around, especially when you're not saving a ton of money. Woody I think creates some cap savings and had his issues, I could see cutting him. These other guys don't make as much sense. If you can get draft picks that's nice, but not like you're going to get a ton for them, and apparently it's better to cut them for minimal cap savings in an uncapped year than to keep 3 starters from last year on the team. Just strikes me as odd, wonder if Lombardi is stirring the pot just for the sake of it. Seemed pretty confident though.
I read that too...don;t see the Faneca move at all, and barely see the other two. I cant see in an uncapped year a team with high Super Bowl expectations blowing up both sides of the ball like that.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Really weird move if it happens. I get that they're all older guys, but I'm not sure exactly where the replacements come from.....
Yeah I don't know where this is coming from at all. I'll agree that those three players are all nearing the end of their career, but like you said there's nothing but question marks behind them on the depth chart. It's one thing to throw out possibilities, but Lombardi sounded dead positive.

BTW, We just signed Jason Taylor. I'm not a big fan of his at all, but if he can play well, say the right things, and help lead us to a Super Bowl he can POSSIBLY win me over.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Jason just better come in and produce. If he can play well and be a leader all will be forgiven. I want a superbowl dammit!!
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Jason just better come in and produce. If he can play well and be a leader all will be forgiven. I want a superbowl dammit!!
AMEN!..10 SACKS OR BUST
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the move. I can't stand the guy. He's been bashing us for years.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Sports are a business. Obviously this isn't a move to get people to buy PSL's, since Taylor is a big name but hated by most Jets fans. I kind of view this like any other acquisition, if he produces great and if not then I'd rather we hadn't signed him. One thing to keep in mind is that Rex must have really convinced them he's going to be a good player given this move was made to sign the only UFA they can and they can't be expecting a positive fan reaction at all. That tells me they're pretty sold on him, we'll see what happens.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

Quote:
Sports are a business.
Obviously, but it was a business back in the early days of the NFL as well and this would've never happened then. I guess I just like the ways of the old school NFL better when it comes to rivalries and hatred between players/teams. Is he an improvement? Most likely, but it's not like he will make or break a Super Bowl for us IMO. If we do win the Super Bowl, seeing Jason Taylor hold up the Lombardi trophy in a Jets jersey would be too weird and bittersweet for me to handle lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be sad if our FO was that spiteful that they wouldn't sign a guy because he isn't a fan favorite. I don't see what the big deal is. We're not giving him a lot of money and the spotlight shouldn't be on him. He's going to be a rotational player at best and only good things can come out of this because he certainly won't hold enough weight in the locker room to cause a significant controversy.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
It would be sad if our FO was that spiteful that they wouldn't sign a guy because he isn't a fan favorite. I don't see what the big deal is. We're not giving him a lot of money and the spotlight shouldn't be on him. He's going to be a rotational player at best and only good things can come out of this because he certainly won't hold enough weight in the locker room to cause a significant controversy.
Yup, this is exactly how I feel. I don't see how signing a player you don't like who could help the team is any different from letting go of a washed up player who you love but isn't going to help the team anymore. Teams have to make those kinds of tough calls letting guys go all the time, and I think this is exactly the same kind of move but just the other side of it. Can't let emotions get in the way of it.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Man how fitting would it be if we won a ring with Jason Taylor. That would be the largest middle finger to the Dolphins. I would love it. While I will boo Taylor as long as he is on the Jets, I would love to watch that prick win a ring with us. It would just be so fitting in my eyes.

Gotta give Tannenbaum a ton of credit. The guy has put the Jets in the position to win right now. He has gone out and really got bargains on all the players we need to win. While a lot of the moves maybe wtih some questionable characteristics, it was a hell of an offseason for us. A top notch receiver, an athletic freak of a CB, and a possible outside rush. As Derza stated on another thread, if we don't draft a OLB, that means they really like Westerman (which was what they were saying last season on a lot of threads and a lot of reports). The only way I can really be extremely happy (and pooing my pants) is if we get Jerry Hughes and Odrick. I just think Odrick is going to be a heck of a 3-4 DE. He carries his weight well and Jerry Hughes is vicious off the end and could be a great speedy guy. A lot of people have us with Everson Griffen also which I dont know how hot I am on him.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
It would be sad if our FO was that spiteful that they wouldn't sign a guy because he isn't a fan favorite. I don't see what the big deal is.
Jason Taylor isn't just some guy. I'm not saying every player on a rival team is off limits, but there's a few players every once in a while that should never consider playing for certain teams. Jason Taylor was one of those for us until he had no offers from any other contending teams. If the Dolphins really wanted to keep him he would've signed in a second, but he is so desperate to play that he is coming to NY, the place he hates the most. I think there are certain guys for every GM/coach/owner that they would never sign, just the same way as teams take talented players off of their draft boards for "character issues". I obviously hope it works out, I'm just not 100% behind this one at all. He should help out the team, but like I said earlier I don't think he will make or break a Super Bowl for us.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...had-one-offer/

Just one more reason why I will never like this guy. Even after he signs with us out of desperation, his agent has to talk about how "he isn't happy like he would be if he was with the Dolphins". He doesn't deserve to play for the Jets. We should want players that are 100% on board and want to be here, not thinking about playing somewhere else.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...had-one-offer/

Just one more reason why I will never like this guy. Even after he signs with us out of desperation, his agent has to talk about how "he isn't happy like he would be if he was with the Dolphins". He doesn't deserve to play for the Jets. We should want players that are 100% on board and want to be here, not thinking about playing somewhere else.
I'll admit that was not classy at all. You sign with a team and you say you're excited to play with that team and move forward, anything else you say (like that) is just a dig at the team you're playing for. He's certainly not endearing himself to anyone. That said I still think it's purely a business decision and these things happen. Hopefully he helps the team.

Not that I think he'll have the same kind of impact, but the Vikings signed Favre didn't they? That move worked out alright for them, got to the NFC Championship game. Bet you Vikings and Packers fans were pretty disgusted at that one, although at least he wanted to play for the Vikes.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Quote:
I'll admit that was not classy at all. You sign with a team and you say you're excited to play with that team and move forward, anything else you say (like that) is just a dig at the team you're playing for. He's certainly not endearing himself to anyone. That said I still think it's purely a business decision and these things happen. Hopefully he helps the team.

Not that I think he'll have the same kind of impact, but the Vikings signed Favre didn't they? That move worked out alright for them, got to the NFC Championship game. Bet you Vikings and Packers fans were pretty disgusted at that one, although at least he wanted to play for the Vikes.
You can't compare Favre to Jason Taylor. I understand the Vikings and the Pack hate each other, but Favre is up there for one of the Greatest QB's of all time, and he wanted to got here. As you said, he wanted to play for the Vikings. Jason Taylor has said numerous times that he doesn't want to play for the Jets and that he hates US most of all. Look, we want to win and that is every organizations role, but this guy will always been seen in the negative light towards us. If he has a year where he sets the sack record, MAYBE he will change. I just don't like this douche. He has said so many times he hates us and New York. I don't know whats worse, hating the greatest city in the world, or the team that has kicked your ass and you have to sign with them.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
You can't compare Favre to Jason Taylor. I understand the Vikings and the Pack hate each other, but Favre is up there for one of the Greatest QB's of all time, and he wanted to got here. As you said, he wanted to play for the Vikings. Jason Taylor has said numerous times that he doesn't want to play for the Jets and that he hates US most of all. Look, we want to win and that is every organizations role, but this guy will always been seen in the negative light towards us. If he has a year where he sets the sack record, MAYBE he will change. I just don't like this douche. He has said so many times he hates us and New York. I don't know whats worse, hating the greatest city in the world, or the team that has kicked your ass and you have to sign with them.
Like I said I pointed that out, and I think Favre being a better player than Taylor makes it harder for him to flip teams, not easier. He probably wanted to stay in GB too, but after he realized the Packers didn't want him decided he wanted to kick their ass twice a year and make them regret it.

I get that Taylor's doesn't like the Jets and is never going to be liked here. I'm not denying that he's an ass and has said some stupid stuff, and I'm not saying that I like him either because I don't. But that my point is that shouldn't matter, and I'm glad it didn't. If he was the best player to fill the role that he's going to play then it's a good signing. He'll be nowhere near my favorite player, but if I root for the Jets so I hope he succeeds.

If the FO elected not to sign a player because he didn't get along with the fans or like the city despite it being the best move they felt they could make, I would be more disappointed than I am with this signing. Do I love it? No. Do I even like the signing? Not really. But I do like that emotions and bad blood didn't get in the way, and hope the move pans out.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

I just want to see JayTay get a ring with the Jets to totally just swallow that pill that we are the superior franchise.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

In Rex's presser he was asked about the Faneca/Ellis/Thomas rumors. Kind of blew it off, and then was asked if that meant that the players weren't going to be released. He said that Bryan Thomas wasn't going to be released, but refused to comment on the other two saying he wouldn't comment on a story that had no validity. Interesting.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

I think there is something fishy going on considering those 3 names have been swirling around all types of things. Also, Rex is the type of guy to quash rumors if they exist. I can see us dealing Faneca during the draft to move up in a round if we see a guy we want.

When was the last time that we had so much buzz around us in the offseason. I am loving it boys.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
I think there is something fishy going on considering those 3 names have been swirling around all types of things. Also, Rex is the type of guy to quash rumors if they exist. I can see us dealing Faneca during the draft to move up in a round if we see a guy we want.
I really hope not. The acquisition of Faneca is when that helped Ferguson and the Jets o-line as a whole turn the corner. I absolutely positively don't want him traded or released under any circumstances.

The Jets o-line is one of the team's strengths and they should not be fiddling with it.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I really hope not. The acquisition of Faneca is when that helped Ferguson and the Jets o-line as a whole turn the corner. I absolutely positively don't want him traded or released under any circumstances.

The Jets o-line is one of the team's strengths and they should not be fiddling with it.
I agree with you 99.9999999999999999%. Faneca has been a little overrated, if the coaching staff feels his pass blocking is a liability and will create problems in the future/this year than I'd be alright with moving him BUT they would need a proven and reliable replacement. However, the second part of what you said was brief and to the point and I definitely agree with it.