Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Draft Board

Here Iíll compile a list of players for us to draft. These guys are the ones I believe are potential draftees, but Iíll rank them by how much I like them as prospects for us. As far as prospects go, Iím going off of Scottís lists, so if he doesnít have the guy there, I didnít include them. I excluded Suh, McCoy, Berry, Okung, Bulaga, and Trent Williams. QBs and ILBs are omitted because I donít think weíll be selecting either and Centers arenít on there because, as far as I know, all the Center prospects this year are exclusive to that position. Oh and no kickers or punters becauseÖ I have no idea. I did this the last three years (I think I only posted two years ago though) and all of our picks through the 5th round were on this list those years so hopefully that stays true. And sorry thereís so many guys at some positions. I really did try to narrow it down.

RB
Jahvid Best Ė Before the big concussion, he was looking terrific. And, his statistics sort of backed up the fact that he gained some bulk, being a little more effective at the goal-line and losing a bit of the breakaway ability. Watching him catch the ball is like watching a slot receiver, not a runningback. His route-running is pretty advanced considering the position he plays and his vision and jump-cut are probably the best in this class (the latter for sure). Itíd really only make sense if Leon leaves, and people may have worries about the injuries, but considering they were in various places and seem to be a bit more about fluke than a chronic problem, I think he should manage to stay on the field enough to warrant a high pick.
Ben Tate Ė He honestly reminds me of a young Thomas Jones. Fantastic athlete, real durable, can catch, pass protect, run it inside, and turn the corner. To me, itís between him and Mathews as the most well-rounded back in the draft. In a three-headed attack (or four?) I donít know if he does anything the others donít, but specifically with Greene, I think he compliments him well in all the right places.
C.J. Spiller
Stafon Johnson
Joique Bell
Javarris James
Shawnbrey McNeal
Pat Paschall
Chris Brown
Brandon Minor

FB
John Conner Ė Tony Richardson is like the ageless wonder, our very own Jamie Moyer, but eventually, heís going to break down (sadly, probably this season). We really need a replacement for him and this is a decent class to do it in. A year or two back I was really calling for Quinn Johnson as his heir. Conner is that same sort of old-school blocking fullback and Iím sure he could be a beast for us. Heís really got great athleticism for a fullback and a nasty streak to boot. Plus, could a backfield with a War Machine and a Terminator really be stopped?
Manase Tonga

Dexter McCluster Ė He gets his own category because heís just that special. His short area quickness is crazy impressive and his no-nonsense running style is very reminiscent of Percy Harvin. I this his production is really understated considering he was one of the focal points of an offense in the SEC. He could be used in a variety of ways, but this pick would probably only make sense without Leon (though Iíd be fine with it either way).

WR
Andre Roberts Ė I loved Greg Jennings coming out of Western Michigan and he reminds me a lot of him. Just a real solid build with fantastic quickness and deceptive deep speed. Heís probably got a pair of some of the more reliable hands in the class and his route-running isnít too shabby either. And for those worried about the competition, he actually performed quite well when The Citadel played Clemson.
Emmanuel Sanders Ė If he had a bit more bulk to him, I think heíd be I contention for the top receiver in this class. He can do a little bit of everything. He tends to showboat a lot, but at least heís confident. He can high-point a ball, has solid hands, great quickness, and pretty solid long speed. A poor manís DeSean Jackson.
Mardy Gilyard
Antonio Brown Ė Supremely talented player. Came out as a Junior after some fantastic production along with Dan LeFevour, so he could definitely be a steal having a lot of years ahead of him. Heís a great kick returner and has a slot receiverís profile.
Blair White
Freddie Barnes
Marcus Easley

TE
Michael Hoomanawanui
Colin Peek Ė Very, very solid TE. Blue collar guy that would be a real good #2 TE.
Tony Moeaki
Nate Byham
Mickey Shuler Ė I think his dad played for the Jets.

OT
Jared Veldheer Ė Amazing production at a lower division. Fantastic athlete as well. The only thing that really bugs me is the relatively short arms and his pig nose. But in any case, heís a real sleeper. I think he has all the potential in the world and provided he gets a year or two to maybe bulk up and learn the NFL game down, I think he could be a real stud.
John Jerry Ė To me, heís one of the more dominating looking blockers in this class. He certainly looked better at OG than OT, but I think in a power running game he could do just fine at RT. For us, the positional versatility would only be a plus anyway. What bothers me is he had an insanely low Wonderlic score for a lineman, and Iím not sure how many successful ones had bad scores. But, I wonít base my evaluation of him on that test.
Marshall Newhouse Ė Pretty much a lower class version of Jerry.
Kyle Calloway
Mike Tepper
Kevin Haslam

OG
Mike Iupati
Mike Johnson Ė Iíve always liked him. A real blue-collar sort of player that could realistically play every position on the line. His best bet is most likely LG though. Heís a real technician, but he does have a nice mean streak and could be a more than adequate starter.
Dace Richardson
Sergio Render
Chris DeGeare

DE
Linval Joseph Ė I donít think anyone has ever fit the term ďdancing bearĒ better than him. He plays like someone significantly lighter than him, but has great strength to boot. I saw somewhere someone compared him to Haloti Ngata and they really are a lot alike (not as great of course). He really made a name for himself this year, but honestly, heís been good since the beginning. He dealt with weight issues in the past, but I donít think that should be a problem. His sort of versatility would seem to be exactly the kind of thing Rex is looking for on defense.
C.J. Wilson Ė A shocker Iím sure, but Iím a huge fan. He burst onto the scene for the Pirates long before Joseph or Ross did and has always been the focus of an offenseís attentionÖ and yet he still produced. Despite being a DE, heís very large at around 6í2Ē 290. He has terrific power and, of course, as a DE, great speed. A very smart player, great work ethic, and all the tools in my mind to hold down the fort at DE. Kind of reminds me of Trevor Pryce.
Jared Odrick Ė So this might be a big surprise having him this low, but Iím just not a huge fan. He doesnít have a very wide body (which I feel is only really fine in the Cowboysí system) and doesnít appear to have a lot of functional strength. His hands are extremely active and heís pretty nimble, but I just donít think heís quite as suited for the 5-technique as people make him out to be.
Alex Carrington
Jay Ross Ė The ECU D-Line was just fantastic this past season (has been for several seasons). Ross is a distant third for me of those Pirates, but heís got all the measurables, technique, and motor to be a success in a rotation.
Corey Peters
Doug Worthington
E.J. Wilson
Mike Neal
Lorenzo Washington

NT
Torrell Troup Ė Personally, I feel like heís the only NT worth drafting. Being part of a rotation at the NFL level is one thing, but itís just sad heavily being part of one in college, which is exactly what Cody was. Mt. Cody may be an immovable object, but I feel like he could be easily schemed against with his inability to move laterally. Troup is a real hard worker and at the very worst would be a very good back-up.

OLB
Jerry Hughes
Brandon Graham
Junior Galette Ė I donít know if anyone knows about him, but he played at Temple for three years before transferring to Stillman. It was unspecified what exactly happened, but he supposedly broke a team rule. In any case, I donít think thereís any serious character issues there, and he was voted a team captain at Stillman. He has a good array of pass rush moves and is amazingly quick off the line. Iím mildly worried he wonít flash the same repertoire standing up as at the Texas vs. The Nation game he didnít workout as a OLB which may be due to a lack of willingness to change positions, but Iím going to chalk it up to him not feeling comfortable in the situation as he focused most of his energy prior to that rehabbing a leg injury.
Larry Hart Ė He probably seems pretty high as well and more than likely no one has heard of him. I realize the competition he faced wasnít the best, but heís got decent size, a great motor, a few pass rush moves, and enough strength and speed to make a difference. At Central Arkansas he even occasionally stood up on disguised blitzes and looked great doing it. I donít necessarily think heíll be an impact player or anything, but he definitely could be a significant contributor.
Daniel Teío-Nesheim Ė His production and measurables say heís going to be really good. The only reason I donít have him higher is that I hate his squatty body type.
Koa Misi
Arthur Moats
Adrian Tracy
Danny Batten Ė Really, really versatile player. He could line up at any number of positions and should be a great Special Teams contributor.
James Ruffin
George Johnson

CB
Alterraun Verner Ė By far my favorite CB in the draft. I just think heís amazing. Heís been fantastic for the Bruins ever since he was a freshman. Quite simply a beast. He might not have 4.3/4.4 speed, but he was a track champion! He has plenty of speed, but superb quickness. A true ballhawk with exceptional instincts and break on the ball. Maybe not #2 material, but he could be a great nickel. Think of him as a rich manís Dwight Lowery.
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
David Pender Ė Big Ten donít seem to be doing all that great as of late, so they may get overrated due to the lack of great QB play and over-abundance of rushing attacks in the conference. But, Pender has all the tools to be a successful cover corner including his size and downfield speed. I donít think he profiles as a starter by any means, but I think he can be a good nickel.
Myron Lewis
Joshua Moore
Amari Spievey
Sherrick McManis
Crezdon Butler
Walter McFadden
A.J. Wallace

S
Robert Johnson Ė Why so high? Well, I think heís criminally underrated. He has some of the more fluid hips of this Safety group and he has the ability to match up with wide receivers. Heís incredibly fast to the ball, has great ball skills, is a wrap-up tackler, and is a terrific person on and off the field. He has a great deal of potential and would be a great classic centerfielder that would add some height to a Safety duo.
Morgan Burnett Ė I was really high on him before, but not so much now. I still think he has fantastic potential and his head is definitely in the right place, but his instincts are sub-par and thatís just about the only thing you canít teach. I still have him rated highly in hopes that a team can put him in the right situation because honestly, he has everything to be the second best Safety in this class.
Kurt Coleman
Larry Asante
Barry Church
Cody Grimm
Matt OíHanlon Ė His play reminds me a lot of Jim Leonhardís. Very athletic guy that plays with a lot of guts. At the very worst heís going to be a stud Special Teams player.
Kyle McCarthy
Michael Greco

And just for fun, Iíll put down the top three players at each position that I think are most likely of these few to be selected by us, just to narrow it down a bit more.

RB
Jahvid Best
Ben Tate
Javarris James

FB
John Conner

WR
Antonio Brown
Freddie Barnes
Marcus Easley

TE
Colin Peek
Nate Byham
Mickey Shuler

OT
John Jerry
Kyle Calloway
Mike Tepper

OG
Mike Johnson
Sergio Render
Chris DeGeare

DE
Linval Joseph
C.J. Wilson
Doug Worthington

NT
Torrell Troup

OLB
Brandon Graham
Junior Galette
George Johnson

CB
Alterraun Verner
David Pender
Joshua Moore

S
Robert Johnson
Kurt Coleman
Cody Grimm
Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't +rep you again because I just did but whenever I can you're getting some...this was a great writeup. Some personal favorites of mine who you listed that are more mid-late round types are: John Conner, Emmanuel Sanders, Blair White, Hoomanawanui, Peek, Moeaki, Newhouse, Dace Richardson, CJ Wilson, Worthington, McFadden, and Robert Johnson. Also think that Greg Hardy is a real potential sleeper for us to take, his attitude seems to fit right in and he's got way more pass rushing potential than anybody who's going to be taken in his range.

I'm so psyched right now I'm not going to have an easy time falling asleep at all. Luckily by the time I'm done with class tomorrow draft will only be like 4 hours away.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

That is an awesome segment. I can definitely agree wtih the Odrick comment and I am really high on him. His problem is that he stands up way too much and really allows a huge surface area to be played with, which totally against the idea of a 5-technique. As a 5-technique you have to stay low and hold the b and c gaps and a small portion of contain. Standing high reveals that.

Love the McCluster thread. I don't know if we would go after him, but if we do it's because Leon is most definitely out.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I failed. But to be honest, he actually graded out as being on this list, but the only reason I didn't put him on there was because I assumed CB wasn't a direction they'd be going in the first. Oh well. But if I do miss anymore picks, we can just say I'm terrible at this.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:01 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Failed again. I took him off the list because with how much they talked about him, I didn't think there was any way we'd take him. I should stop doing these. :(