Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.
Thumbs down A.J. Smith has lost it

I think it's official, now. Three straight years that players were either taken too high or given too much in order to draft them. This team just no longer is deep enough to treat the draft in this manner. The dline still sucks, and the lbs and safeties no longer suit the current defensive philosophy. I like Matthews, but he is a luxury in this offense, imo. The oline doesn't run block well, and he'll get, what 15 carries a game? In the current offense, I don't see much of a dropoff from Mathews to Hardesty, Gerhart, or a few others. But my biggest concern is that it is obvious that Smith is falling in love with certain players and reaching like Al Davis to get them, losing the overall picture... Hester, Davis, English, now here we go again. I should learn not to look forward to this day every year. I'm just pissed. A.J. has to go, I'm afraid.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're overreacting, Hester was a huge reach I'll agree on that. Now Buster he never really had a chance to play, and English is a monster I don't see how you're upset about that pick. I actually like Mathews, swapping 1st, a 2nd, and swapping a 4th imo isn't too bad. It was for sure we really needed a runningback, I really thought we were going with Earl or Dan with the trade up. But I'm not going to complain Mathews is a great runningback.

Last edited by bantx : 04-23-2010 at 01:37 AM.
bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is Matthews a luxury pick when we had no starting RB...
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really really dislike this trend of trading up for A.J.'s 'favorites'. I like Matthews just fine, but who is going to block for him? This basically cancels out the Whitehurst deal.

I would much rather have held on to #28 and #40. AJ needed to find a way to fill at least 2 of the 3 holes at RB/OL/DL. Trading up for Matthews only fills one. Why does he (AJ) hate 2nd round picks? VJ was 2nd rounder. McNeill was a 2nd rounder. A.J. has forgotten how valuable those picks can be.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
evenar
Rookie

evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.

I think that Seattle would have taken Mathews at #14, as Spiller was gone. It was a reach, but i don't think we could have gotten him at any other place in the draft. Miami were looking to trade down, and I don't think Denver would have made the deal with us. Then comes the Seahawks (very likely to grab Mathews), Giants and Titans who got value at need positions, then 49ers, Steelers and Falcons before the Texans, and neither would have made the trade with us.

I have complete trust in our scouts to make the right decision about the different players at the different positions. If they think Mathews is the only back with the ability to be the nr. 1 back, then I think they have to make this pick. An average pick, not great, not bad, we still have all our draft picks except that 2nd rounder, and if I do remember correctly mr. Smith drafted two rookie starters last year in the later rounds.

Last edited by evenar : 04-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.
evenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Now I've had a day and several Guinnesses (yum) to mull it over and I still stand by my original, perhaps, overreacting statement.

1. I really like Mathews. It would be too easy to say something like "he's the next Knowshon Moreno", but I don't believe that. I think he will be much better. I admit that much.
2. I suspected, but now see clearly that Rivera has no intention of strengthening the 3-4. It's quite obvious to me now that he has a severe aversion to that scheme and is moving to the 4-3 in a pretty big way. (now that is another topic and I'm pretty pissed about that too) And, if you want to go 4-3, btw, why not revamp the dline and lbs (and safeties if cover 2)? There were several 4-3 front seven types availible in this year's second round. And Earl Thomas of course with the trade up.
3. Can this team run successfully at all? LT was a nonfactor the past two years and Sproles declined as well. Since Schotty left the offense has become more and more finesse and I believe that RB quality doesn't quite matter as much anymore. This team is built to pass and the OL are schemed accordingly, imo. So, do I think a great RB will make a difference over an average one? Not really. Maybe an OL upgrade would change that, but that is again another beef -- I wanted Oher last year, hence my problem with the English pick. Now, wouldn't we look a bit better with Oher and Kindle and maybe Gerhart or Hardesty instead of English and Mathews? Maybe, I can't say for sure.
4. A.J. Smith is definately reaching. I don't think I even need to further address this. It appears he is getting tunnel vision rather than going best player availible. Cason is the only recent early pick I can think of that has been taken at the spot he was projected at, and I wanted Kenny Phillips there, btw.

Last edited by UncleHulka : 04-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 AM    (permalink
evenar
Rookie

evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.

Just a thought, though, I saw an article that said running backs drafted in the first round provided a more positive change in the running game than tackles drafted in the first round. I'll post a link here if I find it...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
JHasley10
Rookie

JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10 JHasley10

now what do you think about AJ ?

gets 2 good players on the 3rd day. Stuckey and Cam Thomas. love the picks
JHasley10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
evenar
Rookie

I don't see how you can argue this draft. We came into it looking for a starting RB, speed at safety, a QB to groom, a backup TE, a nose tackle and upgrades on defense. We got everything we asked for, except maybe an upgrade at OT. Butler will provide serious competition for Burnett and Siler as a rookie, and to get Cam Thomas in the 5th? Wow...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenar View Post
I don't see how you can argue this draft. We came into it looking for a starting RB, speed at safety, a QB to groom, a backup TE, a nose tackle and upgrades on defense. We got everything we asked for, except maybe an upgrade at OT. Butler will provide serious competition for Burnett and Siler as a rookie, and to get Cam Thomas in the 5th? Wow...
+1. Getting Cam Thomas for the D-line rotation in the 5th makes the naysayers look a little silly. If you had told me we drafted him at 40 I would have been psyched.

Butler is a sexy beast and could start this year. Stuckey has a better than even shot at unseating Ellison too. Obviously not much more needs to be added about Mathews. Terrific draft.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
evenar
Rookie

Our undrafted free agent class looks good as well. 6-7 out of Scotts top 50 undrafted players, and some should have a good shot at making the roster...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblog...-class-signed/
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default UDFA's

Yeah, Nic Richmond in particular looks like a guy that could challenge Clary at RT.

I knew after Mathews was drafted, this was going to be a good class because AJ does his best work Round 3 and beyond.

Butler, Stuckey and Cam are all potential starters...giving us 4 not counting Richmond.

This may go down as one of AJ's better efforts. Trading Whitehurst got us Mathews (I really think Seattle would have picked him). Then he traded lower pick ammo to get Butler and Cam Thomas. The Stuckey pick was Miami's 4th instead of ours, we likely couldn't have gotten him without it.

I couldn't be happier, but we won't know for two years probably how good this will stack up compared to AJ's previous efforts.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHulka View Post
I like Matthews, but he is a luxury in this offense, imo.

Phillip Rivers doesn't rush, duder. You guys needed a starting running back. You took a starting running back. That's the exact polar opposite of a luxury pick. That's a need pick.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
jorgea
Rookie

jorgea hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default AJ Has TO GO

I agree that AJ has to go
jorgea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgea View Post
I agree that AJ has to go
Wish granted. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...urner-aj-smith

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hello San Diego.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Hello San Diego.
Hi J-Mike.