Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC North Division Forum

NFC North Division Forum Discuss the NFC North

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 NFL North Draft Progress

This is for quick and easy reference of what our division rivals(whomever they may be) have done so far.

Minnesota Vikings

2(2) Chris Cook CB Virginia

2(19) Toby Gerhardt RB Stanford

4(2) Everson Griffen DE USC

5(30) Chris DeGeare OG Wake Forest

5(36) Nathan Triplett ILB Minnesota

6(30) Joe Webb QB UAB

7(7) Mickey Shuler TE Penn St

7(30) Ryan D'Imperio ILB Rutgers

Green Bay Packers

1(23) Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa

2(24) Michael Neal DT Purdue

3(7) Morgan Burnett S Georgia Tech

5(23) Andrew Quarless TE Penn St

5(38) Marshall Newhouse OG TCU

6(24) James Starks RB Buffalo

7(23) CJ Wilson DE East Carolina

Chicago Bears

3(11) Major Wright S Florida

4(11) Corey Wootton DE Northwestern

5(10) Joshua Moore CB Kansas St

6(12) Dan Lefevour QB Central Michigan

7(11) J'marcus Webb OT West Texas A&M

Notable Transactions
*Jay Cutler acquired for 1st Round Pick, etc

Detroit Lions

1(2) Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska

1(30) Jahvid Best RB Cal

3(2) Amari Spievey CB Iowa

4(30) Jason Fox OT Miami U

7(6) Willie Young DE North Carolina St

7(48) Timothy Toon WR Weber St

Notable Transactions
*Corey Williams DT acquired for 5th Round Pick
*Rob Sims G acquired for 5th Round Pick
*Chris Houston CB acquired for 6th Round Pick and Conditional 2011 7th Round Pick

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 04-24-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best use of available draft ammo:

1) Lions
2) Packers
3) Bears
4) Vikings

It's hard to compare a team with the 2nd and 30th picks, a team with no first round picks, a team that didn't pick until the 3rd round, and a team that mostly had it's assigned pick in each round.

Lions win mostly because of Suh and Fox and Best will help that offense a lot.

Packers are #2 because Bulaga and Burnett were slam dunks and they added more players than anyone that can come in and compete for starting time, though they did draft on potential high.

Bears are #3 because they had almost nothing to work with but managed to bring in 3 solid prospects with Wright, Lefevour and Wootten. Not a flashy draft.

Vikings #4, I don't think they did bad, it's just that after their first 3 picks I don't see anyone of merit. Cook is average at best IMO, Gerhart was a good pick to wear down defenses and spell Peterson but IMO they should have waited to address that need, and Griffin was a good pick for them and even though I didn't like him as a prospect he'll fit well there and provide good, experienced depth that they might need.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions-I will only speak about the Lions for now since I know them the best.

Defense
I absolutely love our draft. The defensive additions of Suh and Spievey will allow us to actually field a complete team this year. KVB/Williams/Suh/Avril on 3rd Downs will be beastly on 3rd downs, allow our new physical CBs Houston and Spievey to press without having to cover for more than a couple seconds, and allow Delmas to lay the wood whenever a hurried QB makes an ill advised pass across the middle. Our Linebacking Corps didn't get any type of boost from this draft, but Peterson, Levy, and Follett will be fine. Gunther Cunningham has expressed that he expects Follett to perform well this year. Gunther also picked up a few key special teams guys in Wesley and Brian Clark to help our kick return coverage.

Offense
Linehan has made it known that we needed more explosive plays out of our running backs. With Spiller long gone and a day of aggressive trading, it made sense for the Lions to trade up and secure 'our guy'. Stafford is almost fully recovered from surgery and is now a relatively grizzled one year veteran. Jahvid Best will be a lethal check down weapon and is a highlight reel waiting to happen. Kevin Smith is in the last year of his contract and was a pick of the Millen/Marinelli zone blocking regime. Best also finally solves our horrendous kick return problem.

Our offensive line has received some much needed improvement. Our LG position last year was statistically one of the worst in the league. Rob Sims did not fit Seattle's new ZBS and will be a great fit with us. Backus was serviceable and still has another year or two of quality play left in him. Raiola and Peterman make up an average to decent Center/RG combo. Gosder Cherilus is an abomination at times and was benched for Jon Jansen several times last season. This is his last year to pick it up or else he's benched permanently. His contract was front loaded and we only owe him around 800,000 a year for the next couple years. Jason Fox has the potential to push Cherilus for the RT spot and provide valuable depth. If all the stars align then Fox could potentially gain strength from our conditioning program and develop into a Jeff Backus 2.0 in a couple of years.

Preliminary Grade: A

Almost a perfect draft. It would have been an A+ if we would have stayed put and still grabbed Best in the 2nd round. We would have then had the ability to grab Everson Griffen or Bruce Campbell in the 4th. However I have to give Mayhew props for making the trade happen and getting our guy. Suh, Best, Spievey, and Fox combine with last year's draft of Stafford, Pettigrew, Levy, Hill, and Follett to give us a great young nucleus to build around.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 04-24-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Lions had the best draft, but considering where/what the other teams had to draft with they dang wells should have.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i think all the teams had clear goals and displayed advanced understanding of the draft. i see actual logic in most every pick from each team.

the only move that stood out that i didn't like was the gerhardt trade up. he just isn't the kind of elite playmaker that merits a trade up. however the everson griffen pick helped make up for it.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-24-2010, 07:55 PM    (permalink
GoBlue
Rookie

GoBlue hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.GoBlue hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Lions-I will only speak about the Lions for now since I know them the best.

Defense
I absolutely love our draft. The defensive additions of Suh and Spievey will allow us to actually field a complete team this year. KVB/Williams/Suh/Avril on 3rd Downs will be beastly on 3rd downs, allow our new physical CBs Houston and Spievey to press without having to cover for more than a couple seconds, and allow Delmas to lay the wood whenever a hurried QB makes an ill advised pass across the middle. Our Linebacking Corps didn't get any type of boost from this draft, but Peterson, Levy, and Follett will be fine. Gunther Cunningham has expressed that he expects Follett to perform well this year. Gunther also picked up a few key special teams guys in Wesley and Brian Clark to help our kick return coverage.

Offense
Linehan has made it known that we needed more explosive plays out of our running backs. With Spiller long gone and a day of aggressive trading, it made sense for the Lions to trade up and secure 'our guy'. Stafford is almost fully recovered from surgery and is now a relatively grizzled one year veteran. Jahvid Best will be a lethal check down weapon and is a highlight reel waiting to happen. Kevin Smith is in the last year of his contract and was a pick of the Millen/Marinelli zone blocking regime. Best also finally solves our horrendous kick return problem.

Our offensive line has received some much needed improvement. Our LG position last year was statistically one of the worst in the league. Rob Sims did not fit Seattle's new ZBS and will be a great fit with us. Backus was serviceable and still has another year or two of quality play left in him. Raiola and Peterman make up an average to decent Center/RG combo. Gosder Cherilus is an abomination at times and was benched for Jon Jansen several times last season. This is his last year to pick it up or else he's benched permanently. His contract was front loaded and we only owe him around 800,000 a year for the next couple years. Jason Fox has the potential to push Cherilus for the RT spot and provide valuable depth. If all the stars align then Fox could potentially gain strength from our conditioning program and develop into a Jeff Backus 2.0 in a couple of years.

Preliminary Grade: A

Almost a perfect draft. It would have been an A+ if we would have stayed put and still grabbed Best in the 2nd round. We would have then had the ability to grab Everson Griffen or Bruce Campbell in the 4th. However I have to give Mayhew props for making the trade happen and getting our guy. Suh, Best, Spievey, and Fox combine with last year's draft of Stafford, Pettigrew, Levy, Hill, and Follett to give us a great young nucleus to build around.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Is Mayhew a beast or what?

I wont make any bold predictions but we are finally starting to look like a real football team. Thx for the green hit.
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i think all the teams had clear goals and displayed advanced understanding of the draft. i see actual logic in most every pick from each team.

the only move that stood out that i didn't like was the gerhardt trade up. he just isn't the kind of elite playmaker that merits a trade up. however the everson griffen pick helped make up for it.
I agree with you 100%. The Gerhart trade up made no sense to me, if we would have taken him at 62, I'd of been good with it, not ecstatic or anything but ok with it. The Griffen pick I liked a lot, but we could have and probably would have taken him at 93, which was the pick we gave up for Gerhart and then gotten someone else good with 100(such as Bruce Campbell who could have been a project LT to eventually replace McKinnie), but oh well, it's over and done with, nothing we can do about it, but hope for the best or I guess the worst if you're a fan of one of the other teams, but how about we don't do that.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree with this. The NFC-N drafted smart this year. They all seemed to get what they wanted out of the first 4 rounds, then just started taking their favorite players (which is what you're supposed to do, since 5-7th rounders typically face an uphill battle just to make the roster). Except the Bears, I thought they did an excellent job approaching rounds 3-7 as if every pick was important and came away with a very good haul considering their lack of premier picks.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the thought that comparing each team's draft is next to impossible given that the Vikes didn't have a pick until the second, Bears until the third, etc.

My overall thought on the draft is that Detroit didn't mess it up and this year's draft will go a LONG way towards closing the gap between them and the rest of the NFC North.

Unless the Vikings can find a post-Favre QB, I think the division will become a GB-Detroit race within a couple of years for several years to come. Having said that, Cutler has the skills to keep the Bears in it if he can cut down on the picks and start acting like a leader, but that's a big if.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im afraid of the Lions :(

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Until it actually happens I refuse to be afraid of the Lions. I REFUSE!
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Until it actually happens I refuse to be afraid of the Lions. I REFUSE!
im afraid to start 0-1

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 AM    (permalink
CarmenWelden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself. Is Mayhew a beast or what?

I wont make any bold predictions but we are finally starting to look like a real football team. Thx for the green hit.

Please, can you tell me couple of additional thinks all over this; I am genuinely lover of one's web publication.!!!.