Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my future me View Post
I understand the need for an NFL player to feel secure in terms of money and location, but don't be naive in thinking that if accepts this tender he won't take out an insurance policy based on a deal such as Thomas or Clements.
Funny thing you should bring up insurance. If you take out insurance, you are basically betting agaisnt yourself while the insurance company is betting on you.

If Briggs does get insurance, he is basically betting that he is going to get injured. Though by signing the one year tender, he is betting that he wont get injured. I guess its not bad to hedge your bets.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
in case you werent paying attention to lovies contract situation they were trying to nickel and dime him b4 they signed him to that deal buddy. i tihnk your the one that needs to stop talking.
Actually that was just his agent reporting false numbers. They were not as far apart as the media suggested. Besides, Lovie wanted to be the Bears coach, and the Bears wanted him to be their coach. Every new it was going to get done. The media made a bigger deal out of it then what it was.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBear View Post
I understood you. I dont think you understand how much money 7.2 million is though. Thats plenty of security. And all he has to risk is going one year with out suffering a career ending injury. Its actually kind of rare for a player to have a career ending injury. So odds are in his favor. And if gets tagged again next year he is looking at over 15 million in gauranteed money in two years. Which is better then he could have gotten in the free agent market. In two more years Tommy Harris will become a free agent, and yep he has the same agent, which means he will probably get tagged, and Briggs is then free to go collect another $20 million in gauranteed money somewhere else.

And dont forget, he can probably make more on endorsement deals in Chicago then he could almost anywhere besides New York.
bro i know how much 7.2 million is i grew up in greenwhich ct. 7.2 million is not enough money to live on the rest of your life if you want to live extravagantly. he is in the position to do so. so why not cash in. im sick of people saying players only care about the money. he has the talent and he worked hard all his life to get here he DESERVES his payday.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
bro i know how much 7.2 million is i grew up in greenwhich ct. 7.2 million is not enough money to live on the rest of your life if you want to live extravagantly. he is in the position to do so. so why not cash in. im sick of people saying players only care about the money. he has the talent and he worked hard all his life to get here he DESERVES his payday.
Then what is enough money? Is $20 mil enough? Is that the magic number. Once someone reaches 20 mil then everything will be ok. If all he is after is to "live extravagantly" then it is all about greed. 7.2 million is more then enough money to live out you life and never really worry about money, that is as long as you dont just waste it. Then I'm not sure 20 million would do either.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Then what is enough money? Is $20 mil enough? Is that the magic number. Once someone reaches 20 mil then everything will be ok. If all he is after is to "live extravagantly" then it is all about greed. 7.2 million is more then enough money to live out you life and never really worry about money, that is as long as you dont just waste it. Then I'm not sure 20 million would do either.
your seriously missing the point.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
what are you kidding me? they didnt want him back after he produced one of the top defenses in the league? are you serious. wow. in case you werent paying attention to lovies contract situation they were trying to nickel and dime him b4 they signed him to that deal buddy. i tihnk your the one that needs to stop talking.
Youre very misinformed about the Lovie and Rivera situations. The "nickel and diming" of Lovie was a media creation. The two sides were in negotiation the entire time. Of course the Bears are going to offer Lovie less than he wants. Its a business negotiation. Lovie wanted 5 millions he got a little less than that. Negotiation successful with both sides happy.

The Rivera's contract was up and Lovie Smith didnt want him back. It was his decision to go with Babich, someone who has coached with Lovie in the Tampa 2 scheme since Lovie was in Tampa. Lovie Smith is the defensive guru in Chicago and if the rest of the league didnt already know this then why hasnt Rivera gotten a HC job after interviewing with more than 8 organizations over the last two years.

With the Briggs situation, you don't seem to be acknowledging that Briggs was offered a long term contract that would have made him(at the time) the 2nd highest paid player on our team. He wanted to be paid higher than Urlacher and that wasnt going to happen because the Bears believe it or not value the former DPOY more than Briggs. He has the long term deal or the franchise tender to choose from. If he doesnt like his choices he should complain to the player's union.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
what are you kidding me? they didnt want him back after he produced one of the top defenses in the league? are you serious. wow. in case you werent paying attention to lovies contract situation they were trying to nickel and dime him b4 they signed him to that deal buddy. i tihnk your the one that needs to stop talking.
Yes, they did not want Rivera back. He even stated as much, that it wasn't about money, that he would have liked to come back, but the Bears organization wanted to go another way. No contract was ever offered, so there is no possible way for them to "nickel and dime" him.

As for Lovie's contract, how do you know this? Were you there during Lovie's contract negotiations? Has Lovie ever publicly stated anything about it? How about the Bears front office? Have you read anything that is of primary evidence or are you merely accepting whatever the media is spoon-feeding you?

You speak in these finalities with absolutely no evidenciary support.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1)Nobody that grew up in Greenwich, CT should ever be legally allowed to say "bro". Sorry. Not gonna happen.

2)He is not in a position to cash in, obviously. If he was, he would sign a big contract. The Bears own his rights. It's not that complicated.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do we still care?

Seriously, this is being analyzed way too much.

he'll throw his hissy fit, Chicago will be open to a trade only if they get something real good in return.

If not, he'll have his choice of making 7 million, or not making 7 million...

...which one do you think he'll choose?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Why do we still care?

he'll throw his hissy fit, Chicago will be open to a trade only if they get something real good in return.

Becuase your fellow Giants fan won't let it die because he wants Briggs on the Giants.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why do we still care?

i agree........

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Becuase your fellow Giants fan won't let it die because he wants Briggs on the Giants.
Briggs won't work in our system. He needs to stay in the Cover 2, hes built for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah but you know when Coughlin gets fired, youre going to hire a Tampa 2 coach. =) Dont fight it. It's inevitable.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
holy **** im notdebating on weather or not he will sit or not. he doesnt have the balls to sit. im saying its not right he bears tagged him bottom line. tagging a player is bush. what the hell do you know about greenwhich, you ever been there? i love how people hate on people with money. its pathetic. read my posts over. im stating what he rather take 20 mill or 7 mill.

Quote:
Briggs won't work in our system. He needs to stay in the Cover 2, hes built for it.
yea hes the perfect cover 2 lb.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
Yeah but you know when Coughlin gets fired, youre going to hire a Tampa 2 coach. =) Dont fight it. It's inevitable.
I can't tell you how worried I was when Ron Rivera couldve been our next HC. I know BF51 and Shiver were really pulling for it to happen too, lol.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why dont the bears just trade him? if he sits, thats one player your short of, makes your defense not as strong as it was before, so why not take a early 2nd straight up for him, its alot of good LB's left there, who will be younger and cheaper....

i dont understand keepingn someone who doesnt want to play, if he does play, what if he decides to play half ass, and blow coverages, who knows, but they should just get something for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why do we still care?

well put (ten)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Briggs is scheduled to appear (in studio?) for this afternoon's Sportscenter, for those interested.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
why dont the bears just trade him? if he sits, thats one player your short of, makes your defense not as strong as it was before, so why not take a early 2nd straight up for him, its alot of good LB's left there, who will be younger and cheaper....

i dont understand keepingn someone who doesnt want to play, if he does play, what if he decides to play half ass, and blow coverages, who knows, but they should just get something for him
Briggs is an elite player, he won't be traded for an early second round pick

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

briggs is talking on espn
Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a bad interview, I'm sure Drew was there telling him what to say though
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
why dont the bears just trade him?
the Bears cant actively try to trade him. Another team needs to inquire about him and they can try to offer the Bears something other then the two first round picks the Bears would be owed.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Not a bad interview, I'm sure Drew was there telling him what to say though
yea, briggs was confirming my points throughout the whole interview.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
the Bears cant actively try to trade him. Another team needs to inquire about him and they can try to offer the Bears something other then the two first round picks the Bears would be owed.
whats the bears cap space look like?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bruhahahaha, I can dream cant i?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote