Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the offense is starting to get finalized...one thing I don't like about the Conner pick is that two roster spots will be used on fullbacks. I really like Conner though.

Looks like the draft's over. I would've liked to feel that the team improved more than I think it did, but this one seemed to be more for building towards the future than anything. Just a completely different mentality than there's been all offseason, which is strange.

I think cutting Faneca may have been more for cap relief in coming years when they want to extend some of the younger guys, but I still don't love the move for the reasons Crickett outlined. If it helps extend guys that makes it better. Wonder if they feel Slauson can start. Also had basically the exact same feelings about the Wilson pick as Crickett...didn't like it at first and then came around for the same reasons.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think cutting Faneca may have been more for cap relief in coming years when they want to extend some of the younger guys, but I still don't love the move for the reasons Crickett outlined.
I believe they can cut him after the season and not face a cap hit as long as the new agreement hasn't been signed.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I believe they can cut him after the season and not face a cap hit as long as the new agreement hasn't been signed.
ESPN is reporting he is already cut. :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Conner is also very good on Special Teams, so that might be a reason to keep him on the active roster even with T-Rich there.

I just think it's very strange that they didn't grab one DL guy though. I didn't think it should be a high pick like most did, but I figured SOMEONE would be taken. OLB, while we all want one, isn't a terribly big need if Taylor can do something. We just have a lot of spots tied up in OLB. Here's hoping to a guy next year! Safety might not be a big need either if Pool can stay healthy.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
>>Seahawks acquired RB/KR Leon Washington from the Jets in exchange for the No. 138 pick in the 2010 draft. The Seahawks also received a seventh-roud pick.<<

STUPID Trade...I am so P.O'd..then we'll cut Faneca...WTF?
Just to clarify here, we traded our 4th, 6th, 7th and Leon for Mckight and Conner? I'm impartial to Leon and I know he may not ever be what he was but i think i'd rather have Leon and the 3 picks
Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe they don't want to take the risk...I don't like the move but besides him playing badly enough to garner it I'd like to come up with some rationale.

In the meantime, looks like there's already needs in 2011 for a defensive end and a pass rusher so that should be fun to follow...safety too.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Maybe they don't want to take the risk...I don't like the move but besides him playing badly enough to garner it I'd like to come up with some rationale.

In the meantime, looks like there's already needs in 2011 for a defensive end and a pass rusher so that should be fun to follow...safety too.
Greg Romeus!

But honestly, I much rather have the players than Leon and the picks. Leon will be 28 next season coming off a serious injury and he wasn't a workhorse expecting a big contract (and we'd have to re-sign him next year). I really never got why people made him out to be such a special player either. He was good for us, but I think people made him out to be something better than he really was because of how unexplosive and mundane our offense used to be.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Greg Romeus!

But honestly, I much rather have the players than Leon and the picks. Leon will be 28 next season coming off a serious injury and he wasn't a workhorse expecting a big contract (and we'd have to re-sign him next year). I really never got why people made him out to be such a special player either. He was good for us, but I think people made him out to be something better than he really was because of how unexplosive and mundane our offense used to be.
I think it was because he was an explosive playmaker during a time when the Jets didn't have much in the way of explosive playmakers.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im really shocked that we haven't addressed the d-line. I thought for sure we were going to take 1 maybe 2 defensive lineman in this draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Im really shocked that we haven't addressed the d-line. I thought for sure we were going to take 1 maybe 2 defensive lineman in this draft.
I am too. I'm hoping this means that they're bringing back Marques Douglas. Or at the very least not cutting Shaun Ellis.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Greg Romeus!

God... If we get Romeus I'd die. I'd literally encave. I go to Pitt and for my sports radio show I had him come on, and he is just the man. He wasn't a football player until his senior year of high school and he is just an athletic freak. But I am PRAYING that we'd draft him next year but we have a while until then.

As for John Conner, the move will pay off once T-Rich is gone. People don't like it becuase he is a FB and it's another roster spot but oh well.

My favorite part of this draft is that there was only one pick we could've guessed and that is Vladimir Ducasse. It just shows how smoke screens are thrown all day long until the draft but overall I'd give us a B for our draft. As for trades and cuts in the last 2 days, a D.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

Losing Faneca is gonna hurt. I thought we had at least another year with the absolute best o-line in the nfl.
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
You'd have to imagine a bunch of UDFA defensive linemen are going to be coming in...still think a bunch of solid players are going to come along.

As for the offensive linemen, it'll be really interesting to see who starts at LG. I think cutting Faneca, as much as I didn't like it to begin with, is rough for Ducasse because people are going to expect him to come in and win the starting job because of the circumstances and how high he was selected. It'll be interesting to see how much Callahan is able to improve him. I think the best thing right now for Ducasse would be to say that Slauson and/or Turner have the edge to start.

Think you're right about Leon TTGS in terms of being loved because of how he was the only explosive player on the team. I also liked rooting for him because he seemed like an underdog and a really good person too.

Can't wait for rookie minicamps!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some UDFA's:

Donovan Warren- CB, Michigan
Charlie Tanner- OG, Texas
Kevin Basped- OLB, Nevada
Jason Lamb- DE, Baylor
Jeff Cumberland- TE, Illinois
Keith Buckman- OL, North Dakota State

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 04-25-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Obviously Warren is the biggest name there...think he landed in an interesting situation. Wonder if there is any chance that he actually gets a look at FS.

Mick Williams out of Pitt seems like a prototypical Rex Ryan defensive lineman from what I've read and seems like the most likely besides Warren to push for a roster spot to me. Basped and Lamb should be intriguing developmental types. I trust the coaching staff and scouts, they've certainly brought in some talent before, but I was expecting some more DL's.

EDIT: I've been reading up on Basped some (never really get a shot to watch any Nevada football) and he's really intriguing. I bet defensive coaches are excited to work with him...could be another guy on this defense who ends up being a UDFA starter. Made a mistake coming out this year but he's got to be excited to play in this defense and get some coaching from the Jets' staff.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
billybeejr
Rookie

billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, I was just wondering what you Jet's fans expectations were for the season, coming off a good postseason run and a pretty good offseason. What would be considered a disapointing number of wins?
billybeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybeejr View Post
Hey, I was just wondering what you Jet's fans expectations were for the season, coming off a good postseason run and a pretty good offseason. What would be considered a disapointing number of wins?
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd say like 6 wins or lower would be a very disappointing season. Not making the playoffs is always disappointing but I wouldn't say it's exactly unexpected for me. Given there's a lot of question marks with the run game, there's a lot of hype surrounding the team right now, and the Jets have trouble stringing two good seasons together I'm kind of starting to prepare for a letdown. I'd be pretty happy stringing together a pair of playoff seasons though and seeing some development from the team's young players, any playoff run would be gravy and playing in or winning the Super Bowl would be incredibly awesome. Again, probably in the minority here though.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No playoffs would be a huge disappointment

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Gotta make the playoffs after all the big pickups and to justify the changes made. Letting go of TJ, Fanaca, and Leon were ballsy moves. Plus we look much better on paper it would be heartbreaking if we couldn't put it all together on the field. I expect at least a 10 win season.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
I would say that not winning the division would be disappointing, but not making the playoffs would be abysmal.

The first thing that Rex said when he came here was that he was going to change the culture; not just the culture of the team, or the locker room, or the management, but of the entire fan base as well. If this were any other team's fan base, we'd be expecting at the very least to make the playoffs, but because we are the jaded jets we tend to think the worst and prepare ourselves for a letdown.

Well, I've bought into Rex, I trust him in what he says. He says we're gonna have the number one defense again and a good running game, ****, I believe it. With the number one defense and the weapons we have, there's no way we don't make the playoffs. Thus, why not making the playoffs would be so disappointing.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote