Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What did you Steelers fans think of Kordell Stewart?

I'm having a debate about Kordell Stewart with someone else on another forum. Just to let you all know, we're both not Steelers fans. But yes, if any number of you could elaborate on whether he was a good quarterback for you that just wasn't coached up to par, and definitely had potential, or if he just failed to live up to expectations even when given a good amount of help...well I'd greatly appreciate your insight. Thanks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 AM    (permalink
JonasBlane
Rookie

JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kordell was actually the reason I became a Steelers fan. I am from BC Canada, and there is no team here, closest is the Seahawks(ewww)... I saw some Kordell highlights in like 97/98, and decided I was going to be a Steelers fan.

But yeah, he kinda sucked for most of his time here. He had his good years though. I still prefer him over Tommy Maddox though. God damn I hated that guy.
JonasBlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't see him live, but from what I've read and gathered, he played because he was a big play waiting to happen, but most of the time made bad plays. For every good play he actually did, there were many bad ones.

Still, I think there are a couple of guys who'll know more about this.

And yeah, he did have some good seasons, but I think he was wildly inconsistent.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 04-24-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Phillysteeler
Rookie

Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Phillysteeler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He seemed to be good one year and terrible the next. I don't remember perfectly because I was between like 10 and mid teens when he played but from what I remember when there were expectations he sucked then when no one expected anything he was decent. We also didn't have much in the way of receivers then considering he was throwing to the likes of charles johnson and maybe ernie mills although that may have been before he was starting full time. I remember we did bring in Kent Graham to replace him one year so that should tell you a little about how good he was.
Phillysteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A decent QB who was constantly over matched in big games by better teams with better coaching staffs

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Well we knew he was never a "Franchise QB", and Steelers didn't have the explosive Offense that you're seeing now and in recent years, so expectations were a lot different back then. Steelers were a smashmouth team. Run the ball, play tough Defense, and hope Kordell can manage, make a play or two, and not blow the game. Of course we still always held out hope for that 300 yard passing game every time out, but it was still about Bettis and the Defense.

Whether he wasn't coached up right, or was just carried along due to the set up around him, I don't know, I think it's just pretty much the same for every non Franchise QB. He just played a different style that brought a lot of hype.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 AM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Kordell was a good QB that struggled with accuracy and wasn't mentally strong. He tended to compound errors and let criticism get to him. When he was bad, he was really bad, when he was good, he almost won an MVP.

Take 2001:
3,109 yards passing, 14 TDs, 11 Ints, 60.2% completion
537 yards rushing 5 TDs

That's a great year. Then he fell apart and didn't start more than 7 games in a season for the rest of his career.

Last edited by steelernation77 : 04-25-2010 at 02:39 AM.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kordell was a below average qb at his best. He was at his best as a role player i.e. Slash. When he came into the game with his own package of plays he was exciting. They designed plays where he threw, caught, and ran the ball and he was a triple threat. But when he was asked to be the quarter back and and be the guy his weaknesses were quickly found out. He couldn't read a defense to save his life. Always threw the ball late. A reciever would get open and he'd throw the ball too late. Couldn't anticipate the receiver getting open. And after Yancey Thigpen left because of Kordell was going to get him killed. Yancey even said kordell couldn't ever get past who was the first read on the play. He either tried to force the ball or ran.
If kordell would of stayed slash he'd been a dangerous weapon 5 to 10 plays a game but never was good enough to start.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
86Ward

Loved Kordell as SLASH. Okay as a QB - probably average at best but not the worst ever. In his defense, he had a few O-Coordinators in his time but as SLASH, I loved the guy...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as a QB stewart was ok i guess, i think a smaller vince young is a good comparison....huge arm, questionable accuracy and touch, great legs, constant *** rumors....its almost dead on

if they steelers kept him at WR where he belonged he would have put up incredible numbers, a legitimate chance to be mentioned among the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:06 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce

we try not to think of the bad old days
bce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM    (permalink
savedbygrace89
Rookie

savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Kordell Stewart

Kordell "slash" Stewart. I really think that if Neil O'Donnell would have stayed around the two of them would have had a Super Bowl Tittle together I think. Kordell was a great fit for the "Slash" position . . he scared defenses. When he was the starting QB I dont think he scared Defenses the same way. But I liked Kordell .. . . and I think the Coaching was fine, but they could have used a QB coach back then and If I remember correctly they didnt have that coach back then.
savedbygrace89 is offline   Reply With Quote