Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I knew there was gonna be a problem with the Gus deal. Great episode, nice to see Skylar embrace Walt's badassness.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cleaner is working for anyone who'll pay. Clearly Gus is a genius so my money is on him making sure the Cleaner stayed on the Twins throughout, as he knew they were a threat and he did a brilliant job making them his pawns.

I still have a minor issue with the DEA making such a stink over Hank after the "Tortuga Exploding Head" issue, but it's just not big enough for me to really worry about it. I'm just the dick that picks out every little issue. ;)

So much for my thoughts that the plan would backfire on Gus. G'dammit he's a badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Just to update you guys: I am almost done with Season 2. I love this show! Favorite moments thus far:

The bathtub scene.
Walt finishing off Krazy-8
The emergence of Heisenberg, when he blew up Tuco's place.
The ATM scene
The Tortoise scene
Blowing up Tuco's place is still my favorite scene in the series. I actually rewound and replayed that scene a few times when watching that episode. Totally awesome.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

Gus telling Walt he'll pay him $15million is the same as him saying "sometime in the near future I'm going to have you killed"...
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Walt's reaction to Skylar's story about his gambling had me laughing so hard...he and Marie looked the same throughout the entire encounter.

I'm looking forward to the conflict with Jesse's extra money and Gus.

Does anyone else want to punch Skinny Pete right in the face every time you lay eyes on him?

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was I the only one who absolutely loved the opening sequence showing the handling and the distribution of the meth? God damnnit Gus is awesome.

Next week looks pretty great. Looks like things are going to pick back up again.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento View Post
Gus telling Walt he'll pay him $15million is the same as him saying "sometime in the near future I'm going to have you killed"...
I doubt it. Walt is a very profitable asset now. Gus has the market to himself now that he cut out the Cartel and obviously has the delivery network to move massive quantities of meth. The Open ended deal is likely legit - as far as meth dealings can be legit, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
Was I the only one who absolutely loved the opening sequence showing the handling and the distribution of the meth? God damnnit Gus is awesome.

Next week looks pretty great. Looks like things are going to pick back up again.
I'm just waiting for Gus' guy looking over shoulders to turn into Pookie.

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 05-17-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I doubt it. Walt is a very profitable asset now. Gus has the market to himself now that he cut out the Cartel and obviously has the delivery network to move massive quantities of meth. The Open ended deal is likely legit - as far as meth dealings can be legit, anyway.

Of course for the show to go on it makes sense to keep Walt around, but really all Walt has to offer is a formula- anybody can cook the meth(as evidenced by an idiot like Jesse cooking it by himself).

Gus could bring Gale back(with a copy of Walt's formula) for much less than Walt's 15mil AND not have any of the extra headaches that Walt brings.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:11 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of course for the show to go on it makes sense to keep Walt around, but really all Walt has to offer is a formula- anybody can cook the meth(as evidenced by an idiot like Jesse cooking it by himself).

Gus could bring Gale back(with a copy of Walt's formula) for much less than Walt's 15mil AND not have any of the extra headaches that Walt brings.
This, Gale's episode and a half wasn't his only time on the show. Whether it is Gus bringing him back or Gale being the cook of some new gang in town, Gale will be back on the show.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any expectations for the episode tn?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gatorade me *****

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

craziest scene ever

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

That did nothing for the plot, but I really liked it.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that was strange, kind of like they took the week off

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:05 AM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I saw Rian Johnson I had a feeling it was going to be a good one. The dynamic between Walt and Jessie is incredibly interesting to me. There is so much unsaid between the two. Walt once considered Jessie to be part of his family in a way and maybe he still does despite the bad blood between the two. I also feel like the image of the fly on top of the red light could signify the cancer remissions times are over but maybe I am reading too much into that. I think it was a pretty ******* great episode. The last 20 minutes or so were brilliantly shot and the acting was ******* phenomenal. I think it will also hold up very well when at some point I watch it again.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how the tension was built in two situations at the same time; if Walt was gonna pass out and end up causing Jesse to fall off the ladder (since he is almost always injured somehow) and if an exhausted Walt was gonna slip up while on the sleeping pills and mention that he saw Jane die, and could have helped.

Also, I really like when a TV show or Movie entirely takes place in a closed in, real time type environment. I can't really think of other examples right now, aside from Night of the Living Dead.. the majority of the episode was just Walt and Jesse in the lab. Great stuff.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody else pick up on the role reversal in last night's episode? More like a chameleon effect, with Walt's OCD/paranoia transferred to Jesse, loved the way Jesse went after the fly like gangbusters.

Despite the friction & banter between them, the bond between Walt & Jesse strengthened in that episode, they clearly enjoy cooking together & treasure their teamwork together after the high-stress times in the RV. I loved the dialog:

Maybe it's spillage.
Whaddya mean? There IS NO SPILLAGE!
What about that gunk left over in the vats?
Uhh, yeah.... vestiges. That could be it.
That's it, vestiges....

Who did Jesse think he was fooling? Again Walt clearly wants to protect his surrogate, Broken Bad son Jesse.

Was the fly just another mundane annoyance, or a symbol for Walt's growing fear & paranoia over what will eventually happen to both of them when they're expendable to Gus? Or when they discover as Walt did that Jesse is skimming & going into business for himself? Walt admitted that point blank to Jesse with a stern warning:

"... but I'm not accusing you of anything," Yeah right.

Or as they're heavily implying, is Walt slowly losing his mind? Understandable with all they've been through.

I find that Walt with Skyler using the millions from their Blue Sky meth proceeds being used to pay for his DEA agent brother in law's physical therapy very ironic. Almost like they were trying to atone for drug manufacturing by use of ill gotten gains for good.

Last edited by LizardState : 05-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Anybody else pick up on the role reversal in last night's episode? More like a chameleon effect, with Walt's OCD/paranoia transferred to Jesse, loved the way Jesse went after the fly like gangbusters.

Despite the friction & banter between them, the bond between Walt & Jesse strengthened in that episode, they clearly enjoy cooking together & treasure their teamwork together after the high-stress times in the RV. I loved the dialog:

Maybe it's spillage.
Whaddya mean? There IS NO SPILLAGE!
What about that gunk left over in the vats?
Uhh, yeah.... vestiges. That could be it.
That's it, vestiges....

Who did Jesse think he was fooling? Again Walt clearly wants to protect his surrogate, Broken Bad son Jesse.

Was the fly just another mundane annoyance, or a symbol for Walt's growing fear & paranoia over what will eventually happen to both of them when they're expendable to Gus? Or when they discover as Walt did that Jesse is skimming & going into business for himself? Walt admitted that point blank to Jesse with a stern warning:

"... but I'm not accusing you of anything," Yeah right.

Or as they're heavily implying, is Walt slowly losing his mind? Understandable with all they've been through.

I find that Walt with Skyler using the millions from their Blue Sky meth proceeds being used to pay for his DEA agent brother in law's physical therapy very ironic. Almost like they were trying to atone for drug manufacturing by use of ill gotten gains for good.
But the only reason Hank is in that situation is because of Walt. So Walt has to use the money he made to pay for the mess meth has gotten his family into and he is back to square one. The scenes between Walt and Jessie in the lab reminded me so much of a play. I love how ballsy Breaking Bad is as a show. By the end of the episode Jessie is so close to ending his life quest to be an outlaw but neither him nor Walt could tell each other what they were truly thinking. I know Walt wanted to tell Jessie that when he has talking to Jane's father about never given up on family, he was talking about Jessie but he just couldn't say it, maybe for fear that Jessie would throw that right back in Walt's face. I love how they both have to act a certain way and neither can let down their guard.

Also, WMD, you are right in that the role reversal during that scene was pretty brilliant.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one that thought originally Walt was going after the fly over frustration & paranoia, but after that fall he was straight concussed. He was clearly more crazy after that tumble, which was a rather long fall, seemed like it had concussion written all over it to me.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Peefs????? View Post
Am I the only one that thought originally Walt was going after the fly over frustration & paranoia, but after that fall he was straight concussed. He was clearly more crazy after that tumble, which was a rather long fall, seemed like it had concussion written all over it to me.
I think a concussion is very possible. After the fall he was a mad man, with his only goal being to kill that fly. I tend to lean more towards the fly representing the baggage between Walt and Jessie. Maybe the fly representing an attack on his family. I tend to think there was a lot more going on in the episode than meets the eye, I just have yet to figure it all out completely which is another reason I think it will hold up great upon re-watching it. But again, I could be reading way to much into everything.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

I'm sure the fly and all the BS about jesse/jane/walts paranoia will make sense by the time the season is over- but that was still my least favorite episode of the entire series. It's way too douchey and "film snobbish" to keep zooming in on that ******* fly like it's got some deep meaning...especially when that was the highlight of the episode!

It was such a turd that all I could think about while watching it was "This reminds me of the ****** "dream" episodes in the later seasons of the Sopranos".
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

I liked the episode. BB doesn't have too many episodes like that and it was nice to have a change of pace, even though they could have pumped it up after last week's slow dance.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Also, WMD, you are right in that the role reversal during that scene was pretty brilliant.
Don't you accuse me of being right. It was LizardState that said that, not me.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
It's way too douchey and "film snobbish" to keep zooming in on that ******* fly like it's got some deep meaning...especially when that was the highlight of the episode!
Breaking Bad has worked a lot with symbolism in the past, I don't see how this is new.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, it's these episodes that have always defined Breaking Bad for me. Any jackass can write a show where a bunch of crazy **** happens. It's not the meth or the killers from Mexico or Tuco or any of that which makes this show good. It's the fact that they are entirely willing to dedicate an entire episode to flesh out a relation between two characters or between a character and himself and will go the full distance in terms of pacing and lack of plot movement to give it the atmosphere it needs.

Honestly, since the episode where Walt found he was in remission, there's been the idea that he had mortgaged his soul, crossed over, for nothing at all. Granted, he has money, but he's lost his family and all of the original meaning for him getting into the business in the first place. Up until this episode the writing has only hinted at his struggles with that, but they needed to flesh that out.

The truth is all those tense and momentous moments in this show wouldn't be as good if not for episodes like this that gave us such a deep look at the characters. I loved this week's episode.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I was fully expecting Walt to have the giant shard of glass jammed in his back after his fall. Hospital time would certainly have added to the tension between Walt / Jesse / Gus if it screwed up the cook schedule (again.)

Overall it really was an intense episode without any action. The lock out followed by the lights out . . . Jesse cracking Walt with the fly swatter . . . everything about it was tense and dripping with suspense.

I completely understand how anyone could dislike it though. At this point most viewers have bought into the series and characters so it is a bit over the top to do an entire episode of tense and cathartic fly chasing. But that type of writing, symbolism and acting are absolutely what make the show great.