Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 05-14-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Pure depth draft:

The only starters out of this draft for now would be Jerry Hughes and McClendon a close second. Pat Angerer almost seemed like a "I had not planned for Brackett's replacement early enough till I shelled out this big contract for him, so better late than never" pick, IMO.

You will see a lot of Gary Brackett in him - if DT play is not good, he won't make many plays, he will get juked by QBs like Vince Young, will miss tackles on bigger RBs etc., Angerer will be a project that may contribute heavily only after maybe 2 years down the road. Kevin Thomas is on IR. McClendon has all the physical tools - once he gets the playbook down, I feel he has a good ceiling.

Brody Eldridge will open our offense for our RBs - short yardage blocking plus pass blocking that might free our RBs to catch passes. Plus, as little as he caught passes at Oklahoma, 8 out of his 13 catches in 4 years went for a first down. I think we have a QB who will find him for a critical first down, don't you?:)

Brock is not going to have 1 guy playing his role - it will be a combination of Eric Foster, Mitch King and Ricardo Mathews that will rotate. Our defensive rotation and pass rush, I expect it to be much better this year. This could hide some blemishes in our secondary, IMO.

This whole draft and UDFA class to me had a special teams feel to it (Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Ray Fisher, and even Jerry Hughes (like Mathis in his early days) could play special teams). 2 SBs where our "not so special" teams made their mark (Devin Hester opening kickoff TD, botched FG attempts by AV & Stover, botched onside kick recovery plus consistent bad field position in the returning game, magnified by 2nd Saints MVP, IMO - Garrett Hartley making all 3 FGs from 40+). Not to mention all the ST gaffes we Colts fans have had to endure for years in the regular season as well.

Last edited by chad72 : 05-14-2010 at 02:56 PM.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
With the 26th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama!!!

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

Quote:
With the 58th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Nate Potter, LT, Boise St.!!!

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

Quote:
With the 90th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

John Moffitt, C, Wisconsin!!!

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?
I don't hate it provided the DT is a 3-tech type, but honestly I think you missed on the C unless your theory is that they'll move him to G. The Colts drafted 3 Cs in 08, and it seems as though they like Richard to take over that spot when Saturday retires at this point (after all, they've made him exclusively a backup C), plus they just drafted McClendon this year, who some scouts think could convert to C. As for targeting a OLB there, not a bad idea, Angerer's only real role on this team is to eventually replace Brackett, can't see him doing well at anything else. DB isn't a bad idea either, and I might have tried to grab a S a tad earlier than you have here.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the input Dam!

And yes, Dareus is a 3-Tech in a 4-3. He plays 5-Tech on Bama's 3-4 DEF, and he's about 6'3, 280+ lbs. He's strong as an ox though, and a jumbo athlete. He's in the Top 10 of a lot of draftniks' boards, like Kiper, McShay, and Scott Wright's. He was an epic steal.

Yeah, I knew ya'll drafted a bunch of C's not too long ago, but have they done enough to solidify their spot as the future starters? I thought ya'll being so light on OL with those guys was a reason for ya'lls struggles in the run-game, and why Polian said he wanted to get bigger on the OL (or at least that's what I remember. Could totally be wrong though!). As a Vols fan, I don't see McClendon at Center. I think he's a pure OG. Either way, Moffitt has played Guard and Center, so he can project to either spot. Plus, he was the last of the upper tier inner OL prospects, and I wanted to add a solid player to that group. I bet he could even play RT, kind've like Max Unger out of Oregon a few years back. Either way, he can start anywhere 'sides LT and be insurance if Jamie Richard doesn't work out! It may not be that big of a need though, but ya'll are the Colts! Ya'll can afford it! :D

Ok, so I think I'll go S next, like ya suggested, and then OLB, cause I have a few guys at OLB I have an eye on and really one guy at S I like. I'll let ya'll know how things work out! Thanks again!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 05-27-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all the Centers we have drafted, the Center of the Future could very well be the guy who we signed as UFA, Kyle Devan.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Here's the rest of the Draft so far:

Quote:
With the 122nd Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Chris Culliver, S, South Carolina!!!

Quote:
With the 154th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Neiko Thorpe, CB, Auburn!!!

Quote:
With the 186th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Sean Spence, OLB, Miami (FL)!!!

I have 1 pick left. Culliver is more of a FS/CB tweener, but he was the best safety available. Plus, he's a KR. Thorpe is a big, lanky CB at 6'1, 190+, so he should fit ya'lls zone coverage. Spence is a perfect Cover 2 WLB. So what to do with the last pick? Should go go for more of a SS, since Sanders has injury issues and Culliver isn't an in-the-box type of safety? Reinforce the OL? Maybe get a pass catcher or a backup QB (there are some quality QB's left)? What do ya'll think?

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only one Big 10 guy.

That's not how Polian usually operates.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote