Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this happens, I guess the SEC will be coming for Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and Clemson. Just pure guessing though.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SEC should go after Tech and Clemson. Renew the Clemson and South Carolina rivalry. I remember the fight.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
If this happens, I guess the SEC will be coming for Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and Clemson. Just pure guessing though.
I think Virginia Tech and West Virginia are probably the most likely. The SEC really doesn't need Georgia Tech and Clemson for anything.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well rivalries with SCAR and and UGA, but I don't really care either way. If we do expand, Florida St. and Miami are the must gets. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Well rivalries with SCAR and and UGA, but I don't really care either way. If we do expand, Florida St. and Miami are the must gets. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
That's been my feeling, especially since Florida State and Miami don't have a ton of loyalty to their current conferences.

Basically keeping almost all the Florida talent in the SEC seems like a worthwhile investment to me
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:42 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baylor is pushing to make its case for inclusion into a merger with the PAC-10 instead of Colorado.

Also, Nebraska has been given a two week deadline to decide its fate.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091406

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why won't the realignments take place until 2012? I thought it would be the 2011 season but I read on ESPN that's not the case. What's the deal?

PS let me see if I'm getting this straight... the Pac10 is looking to take the big players of the Big12 south...the Big 10 has their eyes on Missouri/Nebraska and hopefully Notre Dame...and we're then expecting the SEC to take some ACC schools?
Am I getting this right? Where will that leave everything? After the dust settles will there only be 4 mega conferences?

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Regular View Post
Why won't the realignments take place until 2012? I thought it would be the 2011 season but I read on ESPN that's not the case. What's the deal?

PS let me see if I'm getting this straight... the Pac10 is looking to take the big players of the Big12 south...the Big 10 has their eyes on Missouri/Nebraska and hopefully Notre Dame...and we're then expecting the SEC to take some ACC schools?
Am I getting this right? Where will that leave everything? After the dust settles will there only be 4 mega conferences?

Yes..And the 4 conferece championship game winners will play in a 4 team playoff for the national title to be aired on one of the conference networks. We will finally get a playoff, but probably at the expense of 100 schools or so never having a chance to get in. The universities will control the money still and I wouldn't be suprised if this doesn' lead to the NCAA being disbanded down the road. Good times.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4 super conferences would suck and we be almost as bad as when the NCAA only selected 32 teams to play for the nat'l championship in b-ball.

Texas has no real incentive to leave the Big 12; they and OU are almost guaranteed a spot every year in the NC with an undefeated season.

These BCS schools need to jump the broom and agree to an 8 team playoff for the NC and quit trying to cannibalize their competition.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
4 super conferences would suck and we be almost as bad as when the NCAA only selected 32 teams to play for the nat'l championship in b-ball.

Texas has no real incentive to leave the Big 12; they and OU are almost guaranteed a spot every year in the NC with an undefeated season.

These BCS schools need to jump the broom and agree to an 8 team playoff for the NC and quit trying to cannibalize their competition.
I tend to agree with you about UT and OU unless they are afraid of the Big XII falling apart which is why the conference is putting a proverbial gun to Missouri and Nebraska's heads and making them decide their future, but it's not about National Titles... it's about TV money and right now Texas and Oklahoma have the sweetest set ups in the country, which is part of the reason Nebraska and Missouri are unhappy.

I don't see why the bigger conferences would necessarily be a bad thing if only because it means conference play will be improved. Ohio State plays Notre Dame. Texas plays USC. Alabama plays Miami. I can dig it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way it looks I don't think the big 12 or the big East will be a conference anymore. Pac 10,SEC,Big 10,and a ACC/BigEast SuperConferences are left. Better competition. A question what happens to all the smaller NON-BCS Conferences like the WAC,MWC,MAC do they just jump into one of these 4 or what ?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
A question what happens to all the smaller NON-BCS Conferences like the WAC,MWC,MAC do they just jump into one of these 4 or what ?
Nothing happens to them, they stay as secondary conferences.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a few questions:

If this comes to happen, I'd want to know how the conference would be broken up. Is it scrambled all the way over, is Texas and OU going to be on the same side etc etc.

Also, is there going to be a conference championship game now? They would probably need to have one with this many schools.

I would just need more information on how this would shake out, divisions inside the Pac-10, etc etc. It's a bit confusing as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I saw today that AZ and AZ state would be in the other division with the 6 teams coming over...per ESPN
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
I think I saw today that AZ and AZ state would be in the other division with the 6 teams coming over...per ESPN
The idea being that the Big XII schools would only have to make one coastal trip per year.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Something is off about this rumor. There may be something to it, but not in its current form.

The Pac-10 requires unanimous consent to add anyone. Stanford and Berkeley are not going to sign off on adding crappy academic schools like Texas Tech and Texas A&M. How do I know? They tried to do it in 1990 and it was voted down.
The university presidents and chancellors have given the Pac-10 commissioner full authority to explore expansion options.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5257774
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah I saw that. It's interesting. Obviously, schools like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State aren't going to do much for the academic reputation of the Pac-10 (which is undoubtedly important to them, especially schools like Stanford and Berkeley).

That said, the Pac-10 hired Scott because they were concerned about becoming less relevant in the big two sports. Adding the state of Texas would obviously drastically alter that.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

It's really still two conferences, under the banner of one giant TV network. The two conferences would only play each other once a year and in the championship game.

Not sure how it would work in basketball, but the Big East already has 16 teams if I remember correctly.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's safe to say we can add this to the list of reasons to hate how big $ is altering the face of sports all over. Tradition be damned -- it's all about the benjamins.

The Pac 10 wants its own TV network, or a unique Pac 10 TV deal like the one the SEC has with CBS. Texas, just the mega-U. of Texas at Austin & not the entire U. of Texas system that encompasses TAMU & Texas Tech, wants it own network. Not gonna happen, but those were the plans.

Word in the street here in California is that all 10 Pac 10 schools will vote yea to take Colorado, big win-win for both there, Colorado U. would be a seamless academic merger with the Pac 10 schools with similar standards, & Colorado is motivated b/c they received the 2nd to last TV $ remuneration of the Big 12 last yr. And Boulder is a very liberal environmentalist town that would be right in there with U-Dub at Seattle, UCLA, Berkeley & Palo Alto.

ESPN said late last week that Baylor is looking to go somewhere too, Pac 10 or SEC, with the Pac 10 more likely. Nebraska looks like a done deal to be 12th member of the misnamed Big 10. Kansas & Kansas St. look to be the orphans here when it's all done, their AD looked scared shitless in his press conference last wk. He made a good point about geography being a big factor, Texas would for example have to travel >1,000 mi. round trip to play the West Coast schools, bad for the visiting teams any way you slice it. Look at the Hawaii Warriors & their W-L rcds, they have to deal with way too much travel to play in the WAC, factor in the travel expenses + insurance costs & that's a risky proposition for any program. If Texas just stands pat they can still rule the reorged Big 12 (Big 11? Big 9? Who tf knows) & post a huge TV profit from their gargantuan-sized athletic program, they're #2 in in the nation in total athletic dept. budget BTW, Stanford is #1.

When they start moving this could be the biggest change in college FB in many decades & is guaranteed to affect the BCS balance of power.

Last edited by LizardState : 06-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The Big Ten won't stop at 12, especially if the Pac-10 goes to 16.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN just speculated that the Big 12 will go OOB if the Pac 10 raids 6 of their members & all 6 move west. Also that the SEC will put the Big East OOB by taking some members, UWVA for sure & maybe Louisville, they want Florida St. -- the Seminoles & Miami are safe in the ACC..... for now. I could see the SEC taking Baylor if the Pac 10 doesnt, Waco, TX is a lot closer to the South than the Left Coast.

Mtn. West just announced they arent expanding

Last edited by LizardState : 06-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope it does happen.

Don't get me wrong, the Big 12 is one of my favorite conferences. Why do I want it? Because it would wreak some huge havoc in college football.

And I love riots.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how all this commotion about conference re-alignments are going on, yet we still can't get a damn playoff for CFB.

So do the conferences changes names also? Big 14? Pac16? That's gonna be weird as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pac-16 would be awesome.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I like how all this commotion about conference re-alignments are going on, yet we still can't get a damn playoff for CFB.
I fail to see how one would lead to the other. If anything, the mega-conferences are a product of the extreme aversion to a playoff system by the major conference chairman.