Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if the Big 12 has to add 2 teams, BYU and TCU are the obvious ones (assuming Utah goes to the Pac 10 as rumored).

If they have to add 4-5 teams, I'd guess they stay in Texas and go with SMU, Rice, and Houston. Or, they just fold as a league.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, bf_51. Assuming Utah is out of the equation then TCU and BYU make the most sense. If they had to add four teams, I think they could do that as well by taking the two mentioned schools along with Houston and either Air Force, Nevada, UTEP, or Tulsa.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What rationale do you have for any of those schools over SMU or Rice?

Nevada and UTEP are barely a step above community colleges, and both are dirt poor. I can't imagine the four Texas schools wanting to pay the expenses of flying their non-profit teams to Reno twice a year.

I also don't see the service academies ever being a part of big conference football.

Tulsa I could see above Rice or SMU, if they wanted to have 3 Oklahoma schools instead of 7 Texas schools.

Either way, you have the reinvented SWAC, with a few Oklahoma and Kansas schools. It's not great, but it's really the only thing that makes sense short of simply shutting down. The league is basically the Texas and Oklahoma league as it is, it serves to keep those two colleges happy above all else.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say TCU and Houston. Both should have been in a BCS conference by now, and the Big XII is the perfect choice.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The rationale would be success on the football and/or basketball courts of Nevada, Air Force, Tulsa, and UTEP. Admittedly, UTEP is not the best option but they have had some success in basketball over the bast 10 years. SMU and Rice really don't offer any success in either sport with Rice being the only one out of the two that is successful in baseball. Yes, I know SMU beat Nevada in a bowl game this year but in the past ten years the Wolfpack have been much more successful than the Mustangs.

Regardless, outside of Utah, TCU, BYU, and possibly Houston the pickings are considerably slim for the Big XII if they would need to add more than four teams.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I don't think short term athletic success really has anything to do with expansion. The Big Ten isn't looking to add Rutgers because they are good at sports.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't think short term athletic success really has anything to do with expansion.
With the Big XII, it's all about the money, as with any conference.

All the schools (with the exception of Baylor) have at least 24-25 thousand students. The only teams that are weak are former Big Eight schools. I think they would look to add a school with either a lot of political power in its alumni base, or one that rakes in a lot of endowment money.

Honestly, there really isnt a school that screams a perfect fit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't think short term athletic success really has anything to do with expansion. The Big Ten isn't looking to add Rutgers because they are good at sports.
I know but, like Brent has pointed out and I'm sure you're well aware, conference expansion is all about money. Rutgers fits the Big 10 because their an excellent research school, a member of the AAU, and would provide access to the NYC market for the Big 10 Network. Athletic success, especially bowl games, are a form of revenue for schools and one of the main reasons for conference expansion. More bowl games = more money.

The advantages that adding SMU or Rice would have is that each school has an endowment that is quite large, both are noted research schools, and both are private universities. Adding either one or both is basically the equivalent of adding another Baylor to the Big XII. I can understand not wanting to pursue Nevada as their endowment is not up to par as any of the other universities that have been mentioned but their success on the football field and basketball court would help bring in money.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I can understand not wanting to pursue Nevada as their endowment is not up to par as any of the other universities that have been mentioned but their success on the football field and basketball court would help bring in money.
A&M has a $6.6 billion endowment; Texas has a $16.1 billion endowment. I don't think Nevada's sports revenue is enough to even consider them. Hell, their endowment is only like $186 million.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM    (permalink
jnew76
Pro Bowler

jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The whole key to the equation is the number of eyeballs each team potentially brings to watch FOOTBALL games and whether or not the team expands the viewership base. This all started as the Big 10 saw that they could potentially add the St. Louis, Kansas City, and NYC markets to their league combined with the national appeal of Nebraska and Notre Dame.

The Pac-10 and it's comissioner, Larry Jones, responded in a shrewd and bold move by trying to land two storied programs and four programs with big followings in large markets. Texas is by many accounts the fastest growing state in the union and taking control of it while already controlling California locks up two of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. With the discussed formation of a Pac-10 network, the addition of Texas and company would add hundreds of millions of dollars to the value of that network.

The reason the bottom line is football viewership can best be illustrated by the fact that Kansas has been ignored as a potential expansion target by both conferences. Any basketball league in the country would want the Jayhawks as a part of it. Three National titles and the great tradition dating back to Fog Allen are known across the nation. Not to mention the recent success in football. But the fact is that other than its part of the KC market, Kansas is a sparsely populated state that has limited football viewership numbers.

For the Big XII to survive, it has to do everything in its power to maintain a presence in Texas and Oklahoma. Not to mention trying potentially move into Utah and Nevada, not to mention Colorado. UNLV, Utah, TCU, and Colorado St. would be at the top of my list to try and grab. Boise St. would absolutely be in line as well bet spreads things thin geographically. That way the Big XII would be wider reaching than it is currently and in position steal talent away from both Texas and California.

No matter what happens, it is hard to see the Big XII maintaining its status as an elite BCS conference.

While I don't blame Texas for looking out for it's own interests, I do think their greed and lack regard for the well being of the conference as a whole are what have made teams like Missouri and Nebraska openly listen to overtures from the Big 10. Equal revenue sharing from the TV money (ala the NFL and Big 10) would have helped the entire conference benefit more from the success of Texas and Oklahoma over the past 10 years, in turn I believe giving Nebraska and Missouri no reason to look to the Big 10.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:15 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Nebraska leaning towards shifting to the Big 10

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5265631

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas's AD has pronounced your conference dead, saying they did everything they could to save it.

RIP Big XII
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and someone I forgot to Pac-10.

supahconference

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and someone I forgot to Pac-10.

supahconference
Does this mean ESPN can fire that prick Craig James, who said this would never happen as of yesterday and that not taking Baylor would be a political impossibility for Texas schools?
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i missed texas tech

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Orangebloods.com: Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten. A formal announcement will come Friday.

From Stewart Mandel's twitter.

This is pending an official invite from the Big Ten.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM    (permalink
jnew76
Pro Bowler

jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Orangebloods.com: Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten. A formal announcement will come Friday.

From Stewart Mandel's twitter.

This is pending an official invite from the Big Ten.
Yup, 8 of the 11 teams have to approve the inclusion of Nebraska, but I believe that is merely a formality as Nebraska Football has a national following and apart from Notre Dame and Texas, is the biggest name in play for the Big 10.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SEC is talkin with A&M

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ons/index.html

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 AM    (permalink
OaklandRaider56
Rookie

OaklandRaider56 is a cocksman.OaklandRaider56 is a cocksman.OaklandRaider56 is a cocksman.OaklandRaider56 is a cocksman.OaklandRaider56 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
i missed texas tech
Don't do it again..
OaklandRaider56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the stuff that is being talked about on TV (the Big 12 losing 7+ teams), you might as well take away their automatic bid.

Lots of people seem to think it's likely. Why? What happened in the Big 12?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If 7+ teams leave there won't even be a Big XII anymore.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

http://www.texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093010

Texas A&M and Texas getting into it over who is to go where.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know it would be alot more competition, but Texas in the SEC would be awesome every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if the Big 12 gets teams like Houston,BYU. They won't get a BCS Bowl bid if one of those teams gets in a Bowl Game with a SEC school they will get killed.
dannyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 AM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A sad, sad day for Kansas City sports fan...Big 12 sports was a huge part of our culture. Great write-up in the Star today.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/10...in-kansas.html

Looks like the Big 12 South sans Baylor is heading to the Pac-10, but if A&M decides to go to the SEC, that opens up the door for Kansas (which, might I add, is getting the shaft big time in this whole mess).

I really hope Notre Dame goes to the Big 10 and ***** over Mizzou.

I'd lastly like to give a big "**** you" to Texas. You sucked the Big 12 dry and now you leave it before even attempting to save it. Bastards.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote