Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
I'm 10 episodes into BSG and it's interesting. Though I don't care much for the god dynamic.
Eh, the way I see it is that it's like society today. A lot of politics is based on religious beliefs, and you have to cater toward them for somethings and away from them for somethings. Besides that, I view the religion aspect of BSG more like Greek mythology than I do religion.

One of the biggest reasons I love BSG is because it really isn't your typical Sci-Fi show. Sure, it is in space, but there's limited futuristic/science fiction type elements, and it focuses more on things like politics, social problems, war, and overall practical/realistic agendas that are applicable to many situations/timeframes.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Eh, the way I see it is that it's like society today. A lot of politics is based on religious beliefs, and you have to cater toward them for somethings and away from them for somethings. Besides that, I view the religion aspect of BSG more like Greek mythology than I do religion.

One of the biggest reasons I love BSG is because it really isn't your typical Sci-Fi show. Sure, it is in space, but there's limited futuristic/science fiction type elements, and it focuses more on things like politics, social problems, war, and overall practical/realistic agendas that are applicable to many situations/timeframes.
I haven't seen BSG yet, but that pretty much describes Star Trek also. I don't know why I haven't watched BSG yet. I saw the first season really cheap at Walmart and the next time I went the price spiked back up. I regretted not purchasing it :/

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
I haven't seen BSG, but that pretty much describes Star Trek also.
Star Trek also has lasers, aliens, teleportation, etc.

That was basically my point. BSG really isn't like other Sci-fi shows, which is what sets it apart from something like Star Trek.

Plus, in my limited Star Trek knowledge, BSG has much better writing and better developed storylines with regards to the topics I mentioned than Star Trek. Plus, I don't recall Star Trek ever having a fully functioning government as a focal point of the show. Really, BSG is more a political/war-centric show than it is a sci-fi.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That being said, I like it and am quite hooked and intrigued.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Star Trek also has lasers, aliens, teleportation, etc.

That was basically my point. BSG really isn't like other Sci-fi shows, which is what sets it apart from something like Star Trek.

Plus, in my limited Star Trek knowledge, BSG has much better writing and better developed storylines with regards to the topics I mentioned than Star Trek.
How do lasers, aliens and teleportation have to do with story? Most Star Trek episodes deal with the same you mentioned previously.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
How do lasers, aliens and teleportation have to do with story? Most Star Trek episodes deal with the same you mentioned previously.
I know.

I'm saying that Star Trek has elements that make it feel more like science fiction, whereas BSG does not. They may have similar minor plotlines and deal with similar issues, but the makeup of the show is entirely different. Star Trek is heavy on science fiction elements. BSG is not. That was my point, not that they have differing issues.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BSG is really on another level compared to Star Trek, and I'm a Star Trek:TNG fan too.

I might re-watch BSG. I just finished it about a month ago and I really want to re-watch the series. It's so good.

If you have been putting it off, give it a try. Watch the mini-series and I guarantee you'll be hooked. It really is some of the best TV ever produced.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Yea, that's another thing I have to tell people. Don't write off BSG because you don't like science fiction type things. Like I said before, it really isn't that similar to science fiction/fantasy type shows/movies. A lot of people I know have refused to watch it for that reason.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just don't forget to turn it off with about five minutes left in the finale.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
BSG is really on another level compared to Star Trek, and I'm a Star Trek:TNG fan too.

I might re-watch BSG. I just finished it about a month ago and I really want to re-watch the series. It's so good.

If you have been putting it off, give it a try. Watch the mini-series and I guarantee you'll be hooked. It really is some of the best TV ever produced.
Pfft, The Original Series > TNG :)

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BSG is orgasmic. One of the best overall TV experiences ever, IMO. Right up there with some of the stellar dramatic series of this generation as well, and I agree its hard convincing people to watch it because they think its nerdy or science fiction. The writing on the show is absolutely insane. Just so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Meh, differing opinions I suppose, but I loved every second of the finale.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I didn't mind the very end. It actually was pretty thought prevoking, imo.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Where can I find the mini-series? Is it streaming somewhere or am I going to have to acquire it by other means?

Quote:
Yea, that's another thing I have to tell people. Don't write off BSG because you don't like science fiction type things. Like I said before, it really isn't that similar to science fiction/fantasy type shows/movies. A lot of people I know have refused to watch it for that reason.
That actually turns me off from the show a bit. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd. I don't want to watch a drama show set in space however.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 06-16-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished up season 4 of FNL. Wasn't a huge fan, and IMO the show was at its very best in season 1. I didnt like the switch to the new school and the whole abortion storyline just pissed me right the hell off. Overall though, a pretty good show.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 AM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where can I find the mini-series? Is it streaming somewhere or am I going to have to acquire it by other means?

That actually turns me off from the show a bit. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd. I don't want to watch a drama show set in space however.
Im a sci-fi nerd and BSG is the best sci-fi ive ever seen. As a fellow sci-fi nerd you have to admit that often sci-fi shows get way too cliche with random techno drivel and other cliche sci-fi elements. BSG, while still based on a very sci-fi setting, really transcends and goes much beyond your typical popcorn fun sci-fi.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 AM    (permalink
XLIV
Rookie

XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XLIV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Warren the Ape is pretty funny.
XLIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Just finished up season 4 of FNL.
Season four hasn't finished airing on NBC yet, you jerkalope.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Just finished up season 4 of FNL. Wasn't a huge fan, and IMO the show was at its very best in season 1. I didnt like the switch to the new school and the whole abortion storyline just pissed me right the hell off. Overall though, a pretty good show.
Season 4 is amazing, so you shush.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I like The Good Guys. It's campy in a good way.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But then youll miss the awesomely witty back and forth between 'Gaius & Six' !
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

I watched the BSG mini-series and enjoyed it. My only problem with the show was people saying "frack" and "frackin" annoyed me. Is this just in the mini-series? Or was I just mishearing things? Either way I look forward to watching the show.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Season 4 is amazing, so you shush.
I thought the first season was by far the best. The characters that they brought in to replace some of the guys who moved on were bland and uninteresting, and I didnt enjoy the reversal of some of the characters. Plus, no Minka Kelly is a bad thing.

Quote:
I watched the BSG mini-series and enjoyed it. My only problem with the show was people saying "frack" and "frackin" annoyed me. Is this just in the mini-series? Or was I just mishearing things? Either way I look forward to watching the show.
Its the BSG-verse equivalent of swearing. Its so they can get around censors.
Quote:
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I thought all four of the newly introduced characters were pretty damn impressive actually, and were considerably better acted than Tyra and Lyla were.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I thought all four of the newly introduced characters were pretty damn impressive actually, and were considerably better acted than Tyra and Lyla were.
Well Tyra was just annoying most of the series, and I just like looking at Minka Kelly. I thought Vince and Luke were both pretty cliched characters, Vince in particular. Even Riggins seemed like an out of place character this last season, and the dramatic change of JD McCoy was just...weird. I wasnt a fan overall of the season in comparison to the others. Season 1 was insanely good though.
Quote: