Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
It has this year with Ike and Pelfrey coming around. But the last several years, most of your top guys haven't panned out to be anything.
Yeah but as you know everyone was killing our farm last year when we had all the injuries. I always said it was better than the media was saying.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Yeah but as you know everyone was killing our farm last year when we had all the injuries. I always said it was better than the media was saying.
I just want to mention that I defended the Mets system last year and said they had at least 4 guys that would be considered top 100 and you could argue they had 5 or 6.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why I like you Borat. You going to trade for Prince?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mainly because Ike has been so much better than most thought. But unless you're willing to trade Mejia, and maybe that's not even enough, I think it's still going to be hard to land a decent pitcher at the deadline.

The people that have been saying look at what the farm system has produced, are referring to a bunch of journeymen and players off the scrap heap that are playing way over their head currently.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Mainly because Ike has been so much better than most thought. But unless you're willing to trade Mejia, and maybe that's not even enough, I think it's still going to be hard to land a decent pitcher at the deadline.

The people that have been saying look at what the farm system has produced, are referring to a bunch of journeymen and players off the scrap heap that are playing way over their head currently.
How do you figure? Ike has been very good and you have Niese who is pitching like a #3. Tejada has been competent at 2B for a 20 yr old and Pagan has been playing out of this world while still young. Mejia has been ok but that's more because of the role Jerry has him in which is useless. He needs to be sent down immediately. We still have the pieces to land a big SP but if we do that then the farm takes a turn towards crappytown.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How do you figure? Ike has been very good and you have Niese who is pitching like a #3. Tejada has been competent at 2B for a 20 yr old and Pagan has been playing out of this world while still young. Mejia has been ok but that's more because of the role Jerry has him in which is useless. He needs to be sent down immediately. We still have the pieces to land a big SP but if we do that then the farm takes a turn towards crappytown.
Niese has been great and I've always like him, but Pagan isn't that young and was basically a cast away from the Cubs. Tejada is competent in the field, but his bat seemed rushed which is normal for the Mets. It just doesn't seem to Mets have many desrrable pieces for a trade for a big pitcher. Someone would want Tejada but he isn't major league ready and would be more of a throw in. Mejia seems to have been getting out of jams left and right and not striking out nearly as many people as some would think he should in a relief role. He was rushed too. Would you want to trade Niese and Mejia to get a big pitcher?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Niese has been great and I've always like him, but Pagan isn't that young and was basically a cast away from the Cubs. Tejada is competent in the field, but his bat seemed rushed which is normal for the Mets. It just doesn't seem to Mets have many desrrable pieces for a trade for a big pitcher. Someone would want Tejada but he isn't major league ready and would be more of a throw in. Mejia seems to have been getting out of jams left and right and not striking out nearly as many people as some would think he should in a relief role. He was rushed too. Would you want to trade Niese and Mejia to get a big pitcher?
Mejia I might deal if it was for Haren. We need Niese as a young cost controlled SP. We have more pieces in the farm that we could deal if need be but like I said then the farm would take a big hit. I don't want to trade for Lee though. It would have to be Haren or Oswalt. Omar robbed the Cubs to get Angel back.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Mejia I might deal if it was for Haren. We need Niese as a young cost controlled SP. We have more pieces in the farm that we could deal if need be but like I said then the farm would take a big hit. I don't want to trade for Lee though. It would have to be Haren or Oswalt. Omar robbed the Cubs to get Angel back.
Pagan is an average player who will already be 29 next month. He robbed them because they just let him go. He was a castaway. On a great team he'd be a fourth OFer. What would you trade for Haren or Oswalt?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Pagan is an average player who will already be 29 next month. He robbed them because they just let him go. He was a castaway. On a great team he'd be a fourth OFer. What would you trade for Haren or Oswalt?
Haha no. Angel has been one of the best Cf's in all of baseball this year and he would start for pretty much any team. You can see he's playing over his head but he's been doing this going back to last year. He has a 2.1 WAR tied for 3rd in baseball with Rasmus and Vernon. He's even ahead of McCutchen and Gutierrez.

As for Haren or Oswalt I'm not entirely sure. I think I'd deal Mejia for Haren but not Oswalt. I'd give up for Fernando for either of them. Flores I'd rather keep but after that they can take almost anything.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brennan Boesch is sex!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mets definitely have the pieces. And they probably can put a great package together without touching Niese, Davis or Mejia.

A package of Wilmer Flores, Reese Havens and Kirk Nieuwenhuis is very strong.

And I wouldn't that for ANY pitcher.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Mets definitely have the pieces. And they probably can put a great package together without touching Niese, Davis or Mejia.

A package of Wilmer Flores, Reese Havens and Kirk Nieuwenhuis is very strong.

And I wouldn't that for ANY pitcher.
What's special about Kirk Nieuwenhuis?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you not deal for Lee and prefer Oswalt/Haren ahead of him? Lee is the best playoff performer out of all of them and showed he could dominate the NL in the playoffs. Is this an "I want a RHP to pair with Santana" thing?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Haha no. Angel has been one of the best Cf's in all of baseball this year and he would start for pretty much any team. You can see he's playing over his head but he's been doing this going back to last year. He has a 2.1 WAR tied for 3rd in baseball with Rasmus and Vernon. He's even ahead of McCutchen and Gutierrez.

As for Haren or Oswalt I'm not entirely sure. I think I'd deal Mejia for Haren but not Oswalt. I'd give up for Fernando for either of them. Flores I'd rather keep but after that they can take almost anything.
Why is his WAR so high? Cause of his defense? Cause his bat is extremely average. And isn't 2.5 months of that data not enough? Not that I trust that data anyway.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
What's special about Kirk Nieuwenhuis?
Power, Speed, Good arm, Good enough defensive range to be a CF in the Major Leagues, can hit either lefties or righties well.

Other then that, he's really mediocre.

And for your follow up question:

There are various reports saying that Mariners like Kirk and would want him to be in the package.

Last edited by MaxV : 06-17-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2.5 months of data is barely statistically relevant. Pagan has played well, but there isn't much historical data to support his continuing on current trends. I agree that he's a 4th OF on a playoff team.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
2.5 months of data is barely statistically relevant. Pagan has played well, but there isn't much historical data to support his continuing on current trends. I agree that he's a 4th OF on a playoff team.
I can only judge that data by the players I see play everyday. The Yankees. And that data says Swisher is a decently above average OFer and Gardner is below average. I can't take it seriously.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Even so, over time, statistics always regress towards the mean. I don't believe that Pagan's contact rate, BB rate, or K rate has changed significantly. This indicates that he remains a solid defender, but his hitting is well above norms and cannot be maintained.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Why would you not deal for Lee and prefer Oswalt/Haren ahead of him? Lee is the best playoff performer out of all of them and showed he could dominate the NL in the playoffs. Is this an "I want a RHP to pair with Santana" thing?
Lee is going to walk this year and the Yankees are signing him most likely. I'm not giving up a ton of prospects for a 3 month rental. Also, let's just say Lee did not walk and signed with the Mets. I don't want $50 million tied into Santana and Lee post 30 for another 5 or 6 years. We can't tie our hands behind our backs like that. Haren and Oswalt are signed to very reasonable deals.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If you're renting Lee, you pay less in prospects. That goes without saying. I'm saying that Lee is the best option to make a run this year. If he walks, so be it.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yes a lot of that is tied into Pagan's defense. His bat has been like this for almost a full year now so maybe he's figured things out. He very well might turn back into a pumpkin at which he would become a 4th OF bt at this rate he's one of the better CR's in baseball.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
If you're renting Lee, you pay less in prospects. That goes without saying. I'm saying that Lee is the best option to make a run this year. If he walks, so be it.
The Mariners are asking for a huge return and I'd rather give up more for the other 2 when they are cost controlled for 2+ years. If you told me adding Lee would guarantee a WS ring then yeah I'd have to do it but it doesn't guarantee anything.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

It's called having balls. If the Mets think that adding Lee + Beltran will get them a WC berth, that should be enough for them to make this investment. Lee can be resigned by NY if they invest the money. I've seen him pitch for my team. He is a stud and is worth paying like a top flight SP. The Mets are a top 5 revenue franchise. They can afford to get him and resign him if the price comes down. And believe me, the price will come down...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I might be willing to deal for Lee, simply because you can get two 1st round picks if he leaves.

But again, the price has to be right.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Power, Speed, Good arm, Good enough defensive range to be a CF in the Major Leagues, can hit either lefties or righties well.

Other then that, he's really mediocre.

And for your follow up question:

There are various reports saying that Mariners like Kirk and would want him to be in the package.
Nieuwenhuis is a lousy defender and he didn't have 20 homers or 20 SB's in his first pro season, and he's not exactly tearing it up this year. I really doubt he's anything more than a fourth outfielder.

Quote:
You do not pay less for Lee than you would Haren and Oswalt. Oswalt/Haren have pretty ugly salaries that makes them significantly less valuable, and Lee is worth 2 extra picks in the offseason if not re-signed.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote