Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Because he cared more about winning than making money. Sure he made a boat ton of money but that was because they started winning. The difference between him and most owners is that it wasn't just a business to him. It was his life. There are certainly many richer owners in baseball than the Steinbrenners, however those same billionaires continue to take the Steinbrenners luxury tax money and put in their pocket rather than investing it back into the team. Which is what he always did. Too many owners look at the teams as more of an investment rather than a passion which is what it was to George.
Well, I don't think you are being fair to small market owners with this statement. Certain teams are forced to keep their payroll down, no matter of whether or not they win (see Marlins, A's, Twins, etc.).

With that being said, there is no question that George Steinbrenner was a great owner.

He has often been criticized by the media as being harsh on his employees.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with that. Why shouldn't he hold his employees accountable for their screw-ups? He was paying them A TON of money.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure is posthumous dick-sucking in here. God only knows what people will say when Al Davis dies. Oh well, I guess I'm heartless.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steinbrenner was a dick, but he was still a damn good owner. Al Davis is an asshole and a terrible owner, so don't even compare the two.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Well, I don't think you are being fair to small market owners with this statement. Certain teams are forced to keep their payroll down, no matter of whether or not they win (see Marlins, A's, Twins, etc.).

With that being said, there is no question that George Steinbrenner was a great owner.

He has often been criticized by the media as being harsh on his employees.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with that. Why shouldn't he hold his employees accountable for their screw-ups? He was paying them A TON of money.
Of course some teams are forced to keep their payroll down although Loria in Florida has been pocketing luxury tax money for years and finally after pressure from MLB baseball re-signed a great player in Johnson. But the point is all these teams make a big profit. I don't expect the owners not to take a profit, but in many cases more money could or should be reinvested into the team.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, I hated Steinbrenner. But, he was a damn good businessman.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP George Steinbrenner. The Boss will be missed.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Sure is posthumous dick-sucking in here. God only knows what people will say when Al Davis dies. Oh well, I guess I'm heartless.
There is and frankly its pathetic. The man died so now people want to jump on his bandwagon? Yes for the majority of his reign the Yankees were the envy of the league, but lets not forget how horrid a franchise they were for most of the 80's, how Big George was suspended not once but TWICE from MLB, and how he blatantly was a horrible persona in his treatment of players and employees.

Yankee fans can say all they want about how demanded the best and all that nonsense but the bottomline is the only difference between him and Peter Angelos is winning.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who are you calling a Yankee fan???!!!!!!

I've never been so insulted in my life.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Yankee fans can say all they want about how demanded the best and all that nonsense but the bottomline is the only difference between him and Peter Angelos is winning.
That's a little harsh. Does Angelos even care about winning?

I also think the horrible treatment of players and employees is being overblown. Who was he so horrible to? He fired people, sure. Plenty people get fired. One of my favorite things about George is he was always able to poke fun at himself. And he's was extremely generous. Of course people don't hear about that.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
That's a little harsh. Does Angelos even care about winning?
He did in 1996 and 1997, other then that my guess is no.

And I stand by my assessment. Nobody loved Big Stein when he was alive, in fact Yankee fans were the ones to tolerate him. The rest of baseball fans hated him for basically making the game a joke by using other clubs as farm teams, overspending, etc... But now that he's dead we're throwing him a ticker tape parade? Thats blatant hypocrisy and I for one think its revolting.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:

And I stand by my assessment. Nobody loved Big Stein when he was alive, in fact Yankee fans were the ones to tolerate him. The rest of baseball fans hated him for basically making the game a joke by using other clubs as farm teams, overspending, etc... But now that he's dead we're throwing him a ticker tape parade? Thats blatant hypocrisy and I for one think its revolting.
He didn't create the rules. He just played by them. And played by them better than anyone else and created an empire in the process.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NL or AL tonight? The NL needs to win so i can go to a world series game 7 at Busch Stadium :-D

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The National League needs to win for sure.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The National League needs to win for sure.
Their starting lineup is weak. Pitching is stronger. But there seems to be a greater difference in the lineups than the pitching.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm a Red Sox fan and I've always thought Steinbrenner was a great owner. I absolutely hated him, but always respected him as an owner.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

ESPN always on top of it.

Quote:
The Rays' David Price and Rockies' Ubaldo Jimenez were named the starting pitchers for Tuesday's All-Star Game. A look at starting lineups for Joe Torre (AL) and Charlie Manuel (NL):

Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Manuel
"Not only is he my guy, he's got 119 at-bats against left-handed pitchers and 65 RBIs," Manuel said. "He can hit 'em. He's hitting .294. He's very capable of hitting fourth in an All-Star lineup."

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Howard is hitting .294 on the year, .244 against lefties. He has 119 at bats against lefties, correct. 20 of his 65 RBI come from LHP.

Stick to managing, Charlie.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's worse, that or Joe Girardi giving Michael Young Adrian Beltre's all-star spot despite the fact that Beltre never ruled himself out of the game?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Young should be there.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

No he shouldn't.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
No he shouldn't.
You shouldn't be here.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
No he shouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You shouldn't be here.

It's tough because I agree with both.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I died, who'd posthumously suck my dick?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My favorite part of the game is the player introductions but let's go NL!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote