Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
Portis could :)

hes gonna be 26 at start of season..has 6453 yards already even after missing most of season and recovering from injuries when he actually played

Depends on who is really calling the shots on offense. If Gibbs has a say, we are running the ball 30+ times a game. With Saunders and whether Campbell clicks with the offense, we could be doing more passing. But I do expect CP to get back to his dominance :)
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Somewhat unrelated but in Madden i like the fact that you can go to coaching options and make the pass-run bar all the way to run and put split carries at 1 % and if you simulate for an entire season your RB hits well over 3000 yards.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
Somewhat unrelated but in Madden i like the fact that you can go to coaching options and make the pass-run bar all the way to run and put split carries at 1 % and if you simulate for an entire season your RB hits well over 3000 yards.
The real funny thing is that if you put the run/pass bar at 20/80, your running back still easily gets to 1500+ yards and 15 td's and your QB keeps struggling to break 4000. Running game is WAY easier to simulate in madden than passing game.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Crabjuice
Rookie

Crabjuice hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't know if Gore will break 2,000 yards next season, but there is potential for him to get better.

Last offseason he has surgery on both of his shoulders. He was limited in workouts all offseason, especially his upper body. With a full offseason of weight training and hill running, he could improve his stamina and strength. He knows that his problem area was in finishing his runs. Personally, I don't think the reason he gets caught from behind is lack of speed. I think it is lack of stamina. He has the speed to break out, he just slows down after 20 or 30 yards.

Also, it is true that he played with a stacked box all season. Teams don't respect Smith in the passing game and focus on Gore. The 49ers offensive line and fullback did a great job blocking for him last season, but he still had to beat two or three guys on every long run to even get to the second level.

The best thing for Gore next season will be increased effectiveness in the passing game. While the 49ers do need to add another WR, they did add an important piece in Ashley Lelie. While he is one dimensional and not elite, he has shown that he has the potential to be one of the best deep threats in the league. If he can duplicate his success from '04, he will help to eliminate the stacked boxes that Gore has been running through from day one. Also, a healthy Vernon Davis can stretch the field and his run blocking has proven to be one of his strengths and is certainly an upgrade over Eric Johnson.

His running style is determined and physical, but he does make as many people miss as he does run them over. He doesn't take as many big hits as people seem to think, either. Defenders slide off of him instead of bouncing off. That's not to say that he doesn't hit people, it's just not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Personally, I would prefer if he didn't have a lot more rushes than he did last season. If he goes over 2,000 I hope it's because he's averaging 7 yards a carry.
Crabjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Thrawn

I think the over/under for Gore next season will be 1200 yards.

1) No more Norv turner. Everywhere he goes, he seems to make runningbacks. I don't think the running game will be as good without him.

2) Seahawks will have a DT. Last year their DT was injured. This year he will be back on the field. I'd expect the Seahawks to build up more against the run as well by the season. 4 games vs Gore/Jackson makes it vital.

3) Rams will hopefully have done something to move from the #31 D. Just like the Seahawks face Gore/Jackson, the Rams face Gore/Alexander so building some run D would make sense. So far I'm just not certain where that improvement is coming from.

4) I'm not confident in the 49er's offensive line. Tony Wragge? I don't see them keeping up a high level.

5) I don't think Gore will hold up for over 350 touches a year. His injury history in college wasn't pretty.

6) Ashlie Lelie. I believe the drops this season will not only kill drives (taking carries from Gore) but also cause more passing situations after dropped potential first downs (taking even more carries from Gore)

7) Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Carolina on the schedule. That usually doesn't help the running stats. Minnesota was also good against the run last season.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
I think the over/under for Gore next season will be 1200 yards.

1) No more Norv turner. Everywhere he goes, he seems to make runningbacks. I don't think the running game will be as good without him.

2) Seahawks will have a DT. Last year their DT was injured. This year he will be back on the field. I'd expect the Seahawks to build up more against the run as well by the season. 4 games vs Gore/Jackson makes it vital.

3) Rams will hopefully have done something to move from the #31 D. Just like the Seahawks face Gore/Jackson, the Rams face Gore/Alexander so building some run D would make sense. So far I'm just not certain where that improvement is coming from.

4) I'm not confident in the 49er's offensive line. Tony Wragge? I don't see them keeping up a high level.

5) I don't think Gore will hold up for over 350 touches a year. His injury history in college wasn't pretty.

6) Ashlie Lelie. I believe the drops this season will not only kill drives (taking carries from Gore) but also cause more passing situations after dropped potential first downs (taking even more carries from Gore)

7) Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Carolina on the schedule. That usually doesn't help the running stats. Minnesota was also good against the run last season.

Norv Turner made Emmit Smith and Frank Gore lol.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Crabjuice
Rookie

Crabjuice hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
You mean all three of the drops he had this year?
Crabjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
MasterShake

Quote:
Tony Wragge is a back-up C/G who had to start 3-4 games for us last year and played very well when he did, but he is just a back-up.

Our Starting O-line is...

Jennings - Allen - Heitmann - Smiley - Snyder

No real probowlers, but each guy is more than just solid and some of them play near probowl levels. We also have some nice experienced depth with David Baas, Tony Wragge, and Kwame Harris.

Our o-line wasn't elite, but it was a strength and will continue to be for the forseeable future.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I love Frank Gore but he should be more concerned about just getting the rushing title. A couple years ago, a superior running back in LT set his goal to break the rushing record, and came up well short of that goal. If anyone will breka the rushing record it will be LT, but like I said, I like Frank Gore, and see him hitting 1450-1550 yards and 11 TD.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote