Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
A lot of people probably agree with you there. He needs to produce this season. But the potential is there which is part of the reason why so many people are in love with him.
What's his ceiling in your opinion? I don't see much more than a middle of the road LE in a 4-3 to be honest.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think he could be a stud RDE in a 34...he would probably generate a decent pass rush from that spot too.

by no mean is this a comparison of the player, more so a comparison of the role but i think playing RDE in the steelers D in keisels spot he could excel. keisel is a decent pass rusher, not the fastest guy and not incredible against the run but hes pretty relentless and does get some push in the pocket. i think hes way better suited for that role than he is as an end in a 43, and hes a better 34 end today based on potential than evander hood will be tomorrow

i think the chiefs might be a good fit for him too, i heard the chiefs plan on using dorsey in a ratliff-style NT position. bailey, dorsey, jackson....thats a 34 Dline made of raw steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.

Last edited by K Train : 07-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i think he could be a stud RDE in a 34...he would probably generate a decent pass rush from that spot too.

by no mean is this a comparison of the player, more so a comparison of the role but i think playing RDE in the steelers D in keisels spot he could excel. keisel is a decent pass rusher, not the fastest guy and not incredible against the run but hes pretty relentless and does get some push in the pocket. i think hes way better suited for that role than he is as an end in a 43, and hes a better 34 end today based on potential than evander hood will be tomorrow

i think the chiefs might be a good fit for him too, i heard the chiefs plan on using dorsey in a ratliff-style NT position. bailey, dorsey, jackson....thats a 34 Dline made of raw steel
I could see that....another guy like that is Shaun Ellis....Bailey is nowhere near as pro ready as Ellis was as a prospect, but I do think Bailey's best upside is in a role similar to guys like Ellis, Keisel, or Trevor Pryce in a 3-4.

Bailey screams Vernon Gholston...funnily enough Gholston is being groomed as Ellis' replacement...I bet Bailey is called a bust really early on in his career.

Last edited by SenorGato : 07-29-2010 at 01:50 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

keisel also plays LB from time to time, something i would expect a team to do with bailey

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
What's his ceiling in your opinion? I don't see much more than a middle of the road LE in a 4-3 to be honest.
If he learns some pass rush move (a BIG IF) there is no doubt in my mind that he can become a Pro Bowl caliber player. He is a freak physicaly so he has that going for him.

If he doesn't lean any moves, you're probably right, just a middle of the road type player.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't even draft the guy at all until I see some burst off the line.

He was consistently the last person off the line at Miami. That's a 1 way ticket to failure in the NFL.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
It's hard to predict Bailey's position. I think it was BBD that mentioned this, but he's built like a massive linebacker. He's doesn't really have the bulk of a defensive tackle (yet) nor is he really much of an edge rusher, but the athleticism is undoubtedly there. He hasn't performed at a very high level in Miami, but someone will take a flyer on him even if he doesn't pull it all together this season.

He's the kind of guy who would play middle guard if such a position existed in today's NFL defenses. Not sure I see a 5-tech in Bailey, I see a guy who'll probably be shifted around a 4-man front like Justin Tuck. The question for me is what kind of weight does this guy naturally play at? If he could loose some pounds, it wouldn't be out of the question to try him as 34 OLB, but I'm not sure he could manage to stay that light.
Why 3-4 OLB, If he can drop that much weight comfortably he could be a dominant ILB in that D. He's certainly got the force to blow up the run and I think he's a better interior pass rusher than edge rusher so he'd be more effective coming on the blitz up the middle. Still I see a 4-3 DT in the mold of Brian Price and Sed Ellis with Bailey. A guy with the athleticism and quicks to be a rushing UT, but with the low CoG and strength to play like a disruptive nose.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Allen Bailey is an athletic freak for good reason: He's a chiseled 6'4 288, runs a 4.7-4.8 40 and has a vertical of almost 40". He's still adjusting to play as a defensive lineman and prior to this year received very poor coaching from Clint Hurtt (our former DL coach). This year's DL coach is Rick Petri who's much more experienced and I expect Bailey to improve his technique and positional awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A6SlfWKPo

In this clip you see his quickness and power off the line. You also see his biggest weaknesses which are his poor hand use in disengaging from his man and his lack of understanding gap control and pursuit angles. Those are things that can easily be fixed with coaching and Bailey is a humble player that's very coachable.

I view him as a top 20 prospect. His ideal position is as a 3-4 DE but he's also capable of setting the edge as a 4-3 LDE or playing as a penetrating DT. He's not in the same league as Adrian Clayborn (top 3 pick) but Bailey is NFL-ready physically with a good amount of upside. People are complaining about his production but he had 11 TFLs and 7 sacks last year. That's pretty good for a guy that got moved around from DT to DE and back on a defense that rotates their linemen a lot. 7 sacks is better than a lot of other prospects that get hyped up on here.

To those who are complaining about "a lack of big plays" on his highlight film....Bailey is a solid consistent player. I'll take a guy who's highlights and lowlights are relatively similar rather than a guy who makes a couple plays and then takes a bunch off. NFL coaches want you to play your assignment and Bailey can do that.

This thread reminds me of the Calais Campbell threads from a couple years ago. "He's only an athlete and he's not as freakish as he's made out to be". "His Senior (lolwut) production wasn't there", etc. Campbell had a pretty decent year for Arizona....no?

BTW the guy above me has a pretty cool sig.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone see a bit of Luis Castillo in him. Both were athletic freaks (6'3"/6'4" 4.7 40 area) who are good penetrators and great 3-4 DE prospects. The big difference is Castillo's injury problems.
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will be a better pro than collegian, IMO. Bailey's athletic ability and power are rare for someone his size.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I love that strength, but his burst is terrible. Maybe it can be corrected with coaching as it looks like he has good quickness.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Mr. Offseason
Rookie

Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post

I think he has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE, but if he can't shed blocks from TE's then he has a long way to go if he is going to be able to beat 1 on 1 blocks consistently as a 3-4 DE, much less blocks when he is double teamed or combo-blocked.

He just has a long ways to go in terms of hand usage and block shedding so I just think he is overrated as of now.
Mr. Offseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Allen Bailey is an athletic freak for good reason: He's a chiseled 6'4 288, runs a 4.7-4.8 40 and has a vertical of almost 40". He's still adjusting to play as a defensive lineman and prior to this year received very poor coaching from Clint Hurtt (our former DL coach). This year's DL coach is Rick Petri who's much more experienced and I expect Bailey to improve his technique and positional awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A6SlfWKPo

In this clip you see his quickness and power off the line. You also see his biggest weaknesses which are his poor hand use in disengaging from his man and his lack of understanding gap control and pursuit angles. Those are things that can easily be fixed with coaching and Bailey is a humble player that's very coachable.

I view him as a top 20 prospect. His ideal position is as a 3-4 DE but he's also capable of setting the edge as a 4-3 LDE or playing as a penetrating DT. He's not in the same league as Adrian Clayborn (top 3 pick) but Bailey is NFL-ready physically with a good amount of upside. People are complaining about his production but he had 11 TFLs and 7 sacks last year. That's pretty good for a guy that got moved around from DT to DE and back on a defense that rotates their linemen a lot. 7 sacks is better than a lot of other prospects that get hyped up on here.

To those who are complaining about "a lack of big plays" on his highlight film....Bailey is a solid consistent player. I'll take a guy who's highlights and lowlights are relatively similar rather than a guy who makes a couple plays and then takes a bunch off. NFL coaches want you to play your assignment and Bailey can do that.

This thread reminds me of the Calais Campbell threads from a couple years ago. "He's only an athlete and he's not as freakish as he's made out to be". "His Senior (lolwut) production wasn't there", etc. Campbell had a pretty decent year for Arizona....no?

BTW the guy above me has a pretty cool sig.
That what I see him as, a 3-4 DE

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
I think he has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE, but if he can't shed blocks from TE's then he has a long way to go if he is going to be able to beat 1 on 1 blocks consistently as a 3-4 DE, much less blocks when he is double teamed or combo-blocked.

He just has a long ways to go in terms of hand usage and block shedding so I just think he is overrated as of now.
Your analysis is on point but you have to remember that the point of the draft isn't to take finished projects. DL coaches would love to get a guy like Bailey who's powerful, athletic and coachable. His lack of technique will keep him from proving himself as a top 10 pick but don't act like he'll never have good hand use just because Clint Hurtt is incapable of teaching it to him.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when Calais Campbell fell in the draft bc Miami's terrible coaching was unable to harness his impressive athletic ability.

After learning for a year in the NFL, he went on to be a beast his sophomore year, and now is a PB caliber 3-4 End entering this year.

Allen Bailey is twice the athlete Campbell was. With good coaching and patience, he can become a good player.

A lot of Miami defenders had knocks on them, then went on to be beasts in the NFL. Beason, Campbell, Merriweather, Kenny Phillips will be one if he recovers from his career threatening injury.

Even guys who were nobodies in college, like Bruce Johnson are winding up being much better pros than college players. It leads me to believe that Miami is just doing a terrible job of coaching up their talent.

All these guys are coming to the NFL and outplaying their draft slot after some good coaching. That can't be coincidence.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Allen Bailey is twice the athlete Campbell was. With good coaching and patience, he can become a good player.
Not so fast. Before the combine (where Campbell ran a 5.0 I believe), and really before his senior year, Campbell was viewed as next in line as far as freak defensive end prospects, being compared to Mario Williams and Jamaal Anderson.

Let's see how things play out.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

when campbell came out he fell because no one could place him...just like no one can place bailey

he could have lost 15 pounds and moved to 43DE, he could have gained 20 pounds and been drafted as a 34 NT or stay as he was and play all over a 43 line or 34 DE, he found a home at 34DE with dockett and in 2 years thats gonna be the best 3 man line in the league with dan williams as a disruptive NT.

their situations are pretty similar....but i do think bailey is the much more intriguing athlete of the two.

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way in hell Campbell was ever in contention to play NT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Campbell was never slotted as a potential NT, but he was considered a special athlete prior to his senior year, that part is true.

I remember he was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but he wet the bed his senior year and had a bad combine, and fell bc of it.

Having that said, Campbell still was not the athlete Bailey is. Campbell was kind of lanky in college, he did a good job filling out his frame in the NFL and it helped make him a stud 3-4 End.

I don't know how effective he'd be in a 4-3. He's not quick enough to be an End, and is too long to be a UT, although I think he can still pull off being a UT.

Remember Jamal Anderson. The guy has been a complete bust in a 4-3, and he's awfully similar to Campbell. Anderson is built to be a 3-4 End, but he's being wasted in a 4-3 in Atlanta. Campbell would have an Anderson like career in a 4-3.

I still haven't figured out where Bailey belongs. My gut tells me 3-4 End right now, but I can't say for sure.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i remember a few reports about him maybe playing nose, not that i bought into it but i think even scotts said something of the sorts. anyway i agree with the jamaal anderson thing, i was on board with the steelers trading for anderson this past offseason because i think hed be a perfect fit and could maybe resurrect his career in a 34.

i think bailey will test off the charts at the combine, something campbell didnt really do...another reason he slid a bit. campbell was considered a huge risk and he fell because of it, i thought anderson was a bigger risk and he went 6th....so who knows where a risky pick like bailey will end up

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

this is just kind of funny to look back at i was browsing for a campbell scouting report and found this thread

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...alais+campbell

some posts from back then are just hilarious in hindsight

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Mr. Offseason
Rookie

Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Your analysis is on point but you have to remember that the point of the draft isn't to take finished projects. DL coaches would love to get a guy like Bailey who's powerful, athletic and coachable. His lack of technique will keep him from proving himself as a top 10 pick but don't act like he'll never have good hand use just because Clint Hurtt is incapable of teaching it to him.
True but my point is that a lot of people (or at least some that I have seen) are totally sold on him and think that he is ready to be a 1st round pick and that he can contribute immediately. But if he can't shed blocks then I certainly don't think that he will be able to do that. That was my point.

I don't recall what kind of burst Calais Campbell had/has off the line of scrimmage, but Bailey can't have much better burst. I could definitely see Bailey becoming a quality pro after a year or so of development like Campbell, but I don't think he's a top 20 talent or anything if that's the case.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bailey, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that he can and will improve once he gets to the NFL to get NFL caliber coaching. But to me he is a little bit of a boom or bust pick because of some of his flaws, and if he can improve on some of those or even correct them then he could be really good. But if he doesn't then he is a waste of a late 1st or a 2nd round pick. I'm not wild about those kinds of players.
Mr. Offseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Bailey as a 4-3 tackle. He is just so damn powerful to have that type of athletic ability moving around.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
FloridaFootball1
Rookie

FloridaFootball1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I remember when Calais Campbell fell in the draft bc Miami's terrible coaching was unable to harness his impressive athletic ability.

After learning for a year in the NFL, he went on to be a beast his sophomore year, and now is a PB caliber 3-4 End entering this year.

A lot of Miami defenders had knocks on them, then went on to be beasts in the NFL. Beason, Campbell, Merriweather, Kenny Phillips will be one if he recovers from his career threatening injury.

Even guys who were nobodies in college, like Bruce Johnson are winding up being much better pros than college players. It leads me to believe that Miami is just doing a terrible job of coaching up their talent.

All these guys are coming to the NFL and outplaying their draft slot after some good coaching. That can't be coincidence.
Merriweather fell due to character concerns and the rest of the guys went where they should have, no real knocks on them, with how many guys from Miami work out in the NFL it sounds like more to me that they coached them well.
FloridaFootball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Campbell dominated his sophomore year, his problem wasn't coaching it was he put on a ton of weight and wasn't as good of a pass rusher so his production dropped. He was also playing basically every snap of every game and one of 2 good players on a very poorly talented defense.

And just to comment on how awful a DL coach Clint Hurtt was, the new DL coach told a 2011 recruit (DE Anthony Chickillo) that he already has better hands that every guy on the roster (sad part is he is 100% correct). Chickillo's dad was a stud DL at the U so he has some help, but it's still pretty sad a junior in HS has better technique than 21-22 year olds at a major college program.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote