Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Official 2010 Colts Preseason Thread

We should all be pumped. Summer is reaching its midpoint and football is not too far away with Training Camps opening up. Let's get some buzz going on in here.

Questions.

1)-Besides Hughes, which rookie are you expecting to make the biggest impact?

2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?

3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Angerer is the easiest pick so i'll roll with it. Another i hope is Brody Eldridge is his blocking skills are as good as they say
2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's
3) Even with a deep wide receiver core i hope Blair White can have some impact.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Eldridge. He won't put up huge stats but will allow the Colts to return to the two Tight End sets that we ran so well in the past. Look at the Superbowl season and look how many big plays the likes of Dan Klecko, Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher had. Eldridge will be like that. He will be a great blocker (including maybe some from the Full Back position) but will also catch 10-15 important First Down or Touchdown passes this season.

Quote:
2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?
It depends on his fitness and how he compares to the other guys. The problem is that Austin Collie had a statistically far superior Rookie season than what Gonzo did. In fact Collie was better last season in Receptions, Yards and Touchdowns than Gonzalez was in his second year. Garcon was better in all but catches this year than Gonzo was last year. But Gonzo's talent is obvious. It depends on Training Camp. Gonzo could start this season. He could also be the 4th Receiver on the depth chart and play sparingly.

Quote:
3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.
Don't rule out the likes of Mitch King or Ricardo Mathews from generating good interior rushes.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's
See I don't know if there will be enough plays for that. Last season the Wide Receivers took 3,260 snaps between them, out of 1,254 Offensive snaps. Thats an average of around 2.6 WRs a snap. With the return of the two TE set it will reduce that further. Remember for every snap that Eldridge takes Collie or Gonzo won't take one. Last season we played the two TE set around 35% of the time. I could see that going up to 40-50% of the snaps. At 50% it reduces the number of WR plays by around 200. So it would now mean that there are 3,000 Wide Receiver snaps. Based on past performance Gonzo would need 400-500 snaps to reach those targets. Baskett gone frees up 100 snaps which means that you would need to reduce Wayne, Collie and Garcon's snaps by 500-600 snaps.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll go with Brandon James as a Kick Returner. I think James should win that spot and could be a good one.

Quote:
He'll see the field. I know that Collie and Garcon deserve playing time, but I doubt that they'll bury Gonzo on the depth chart.

I don't expect great numbers from him (too many weapons), but as long as he contributes whenever he is out there, I'll be happy.

Quote:
How about Tony Ugoh as a guard?

Overall, I view O-Line and interior D-Line as our biggest weaknesses. So hopefully, they'll be players that step up and make contributions there.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Brett Swenson might make an impact this season, if Adam V. can't go.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm going with Eldridge. If they use Eldridge the right way Addai could have 1500 yards from scrimmage this year.

Quote:
I don't think it will be much impact at all, honestly. I don't trust his body to hold up. Maybe that is pessimistic but I am fine with him as the best WR4 in the league.

Quote:
I was a huge Mitch King fan in the 09 draft so he's my pick.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I hope King and Mathews can give us pass-rush out of the middle.

Here's one of my questions:

What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?
A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.
Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Personally I don't see Charlie Johnson losing his spot. We need to bring in a new Left Guard this season with Lilja out so I don't think that Caldwell, Christensen or Metzelaars will want to completely revamp the left hand side of the line. I think that Charlie Johnson is safe, Jeff Saturday is safe and the only way that Ryan Diem doesn't start is if Adam Terry beats him out of it.

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
Left Guard:
Center: Jeff Saturday
Right Guard:
Right Tackle: Ryan Diem/Adam Terry

The remaining players are:

Jacques McClendon
Jamey Richard
Tony Ugoh
Andy Alleman
Jaimie Thomas
Kyle DeVan
Mike Pollak

From those 7 players they need to get the two starters and it could be, in all reality, any of the 7. They will add a swing Tackle (I'm thinking Ugoh if he doesn't win a Guard spot but possibly Cadogan), the loser between Diem and Terry, and then two backup interior line positions. So those 7 players are battling out for potentially 4 or 5 spots. Any of the 7 could possibly start but 2 or 3 will probably be cut.

I'm thinking it will be McClendon and Pollak, with DeVan and Alleman as backups, cutting Richard and putting Thomas on the PS.

So the lineup will be:

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
Left Guard: Jacques McClendon
Center: Jeff Saturday
Right Guard: Mike Pollak
Right Tackle: Ryan Diem

Backups:

Adam Terry
Tony Ugoh
Kyle DeVan
Andy Alleman

Last edited by Seamus2602 : 07-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.
Not a lot of it was Pollak's fault. It's just easier to bench Mike Pollak than to bench Jeff Saturday. Pollak's worst games last season were against Arizona (who play a 3-4) and San Francisco (who play a 3-4). When playing against the 3-4 the Left Guard kicks over the help out the Left Tackle on the Right End, while the Right Guard helps the Center against the Nose Tackle. Pollak played badly in those games but Saturday played so much worse and Pollak took the fall for it. In the other games he played last year I though he wasn't brilliant in the run game but was decent. He is also a much better pass blocker than DeVan.

DeVan was also awful in the post season.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?
Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.
According to team sources both Ugoh and Pollak are playing a lot better this season. Theres a new Offensive Line Coach who may have a different way of motivating players, different styles etc. Also remember that DeVan wasn't great either and was awful in the playoffs, easily the Colts worst starter in the playoffs.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the one with the best chance to make an impact straightaway is Jacques McClendon. OG is wide open, so he could start Day 1. Considering the other candidates:

Pat Angerer: Will not win the SLB spot as he's clearly a coverage LB (probably Brackett's projected replacement), so he's not likely to start this year
Kevin Thomas: Out for Season
Brody Eldridge: Unless he bulks up and starts playing LT, he's not going to play other than short yardage situations at FB.
Ricardo Mathews: Should see some PT, but not likely to contribute as much as a starting OG.
Kavell Conner: Probably a special teamer or practice squad player this year.
Ray Fisher: At best a KR/PR, doubt he can win the dimeback spot even with Thomas down for the year.

I'd say McClendon is the clear favorite when not considering Hughes.

Quote:
If he stays healthy, he might have a breakout year. He showed flashes in his 2nd season, and was going to get his opportunity to breakout last year...before his season ended in Week 1. I doubt he's lost any route running ability or agility, and those were by far the two things that made him most successful in the past.

Quote:
I really like the potential of Andrew Tyshovnytsky, and with the way the OL will likely be completely open in training camp, he might find a starting spot. With enough coaching, he might eventually even make a solid LT.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Brody Eldridge: Unless he bulks up and starts playing LT, he's not going to play other than short yardage situations at FB.
The last time the Colts had any semblance of a running game they played a majority of the time out of the two TE set. Eldridge will be the impact player I think this year. He will replace Gijon Robinson at TE, will take snaps at TE, H-Back and short yardage situation at FB. Don't rule out Eldridge playing well over half the snaps next season.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
The last time the Colts had any semblance of a running game they played a majority of the time out of the two TE set. Eldridge will be the impact player I think this year. He will replace Gijon Robinson at TE, will take snaps at TE, H-Back and short yardage situation at FB. Don't rule out Eldridge playing well over half the snaps next season.
I easily rule this scenario out for this reason: Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown. Two of those players already have to be off the field on every down, so which three of those players are you going to take off the field for 50+% of the snaps to give that PT to Eldridge?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I easily rule this scenario out for this reason: Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown. Two of those players already have to be off the field on every down, so which three of those players are you going to take off the field for 50+% of the snaps to give that PT to Eldridge?
Well Addai and Brown were never on the same field last year so I don't imagine that will change this year. Last year Gijon Robinson took 30% of the snaps for the Colts. Tom Santi took another 5%. Theres 35% just to start with. Cody Glenn or Eric Foster took 5% of the snaps as well. Theres 40%. Are you telling me they couldn't trim back on the 3 WR set by 10% to push Eldridge over the 50% mark?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Well Addai and Brown were never on the same field last year so I don't imagine that will change this year. Last year Gijon Robinson took 30% of the snaps for the Colts. Tom Santi took another 5%. Theres 35% just to start with. Cody Glenn or Eric Foster took 5% of the snaps as well. Theres 40%. Are you telling me they couldn't trim back on the 3 WR set by 10% to push Eldridge over the 50% mark?
If they were trying to get Eldridge that much playing time, no, but you're assuming quite a bit here. For one thing, you're assuming that he's already 2nd string on the TE depth chart, and that he will not only eat all the snaps that two TEs took last year, but also all the snaps of Anthony Gonzalez (since he played all of one quarter last year). More importantly, you're assuming they're going to make an effort to get a 5th round rookie on the field over more proven and talented veterans.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PFT is reporting we have just picked up Deshea Townsend...

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

The signing of Townsend solidyifies one of the minor weaknesses on the team, the depth at the Cornerback position. Going into this season the Dimeback was going to be either Melvin Bullitt (coming out of the Big Nickle) or Ray Fisher or Terrail Lambert. By adding Townsend it gives the Colts a 4th Cornerback with actual playing experience, a great defensive back playmaker (something the Colts have lacked in Bob Sanders abscence) and allows the likes of Fisher to spend more time focusing on the Return Game and Special Teams.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Townsend as a CB4 is a great signing IMO. Let's hope he never sees the field in meaningful game minutes, but if he does I feel better about that than I would have one of the rookies (Thomas included, what a waste).

When Townsend was with the Steelers, didn't they tend to play more man coverage and not so much zone?

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Apparently the 4 Offensive Line Starters from last season took first team snaps today, with Jamey Richard starting at Left Guard.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
When Townsend was with the Steelers, didn't they tend to play more man coverage and not so much zone?
Yeah, the Steelers played a lot of Cover 2 Man, with the Safeties droping into a Cover 2 and the underneath guys maning up. The Colts played some of that last year though, with Larry Coyer moving away from the traditional Tampa 2.