Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-07-2010, 04:34 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...78_ncaa21.html

Quote:
Of the 119 FBS football teams, 68 (57.1 percent) finished the year in the black.
Quote:
Of the 119 FBS schools playing men's basketball, 67 teams made a profit. One of those same 119 schools made money in women's basketball in 2008.
Quote:
FBS football teams recorded a median net profit of $1.95 million. Men's basketball at the same schools produced a median profit of $518,000. No other sport at the FBS schools, measured by median values, showed a program in the black.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
So all these schools are running football teams out there out of the goodness of their heart?

Either way, the NCAA is making a fortune off of these guys and is angry when someone gets more than they deem necessary for them. If you want to start cracking on guys for wanting nice things, don't take the boatloads of money you are making and horde it to yourself and pretend the scholarship you gave a player is anywhere near hurting the bottom line.

NCAA football is a freaking cash cow, give me a break.
That is a terrible example. One is a singular person, the other is a business that tries to make money so that it puts it back into the business of providing kids with a sport to play, which allows them to go to school for free.

No one is saying players can't have nice things. What people are saying is that they can't be given nice things for free, and they aren't going to be given ridiculous amounts of money in addition to all their benefits just so that they can buy nice cars and new things that they don't need. That's the point. We aren't talking about disallowing players from essential needs, or even the smallest of luxuries; those types of things they more than likely have or can get. What is being talked about is preventing players from being able to easily get luxurious items that are just incredibly nice to have and aren't even close to necessities.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?

But this has nothing to do with that, because I'm actually glad that if the NCAA is going to have these rules, that they're also gonna actually enforce them. The title is right, they're coming down on a lot of programs lately, which is good IMO. Especially with the USC situation, they showed that the rules are there, and like them are not, if you don't follow them you're ******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.

Again though, my main gripe with the rules isn't the rules, it was the lack of consistency. As long as they're gonna be consistent, I really have no complaints with the rules.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) : 08-07-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.
boo ******* hoo.

At what point do the hand outs end?

These kids get free college, the equivalent of personal trainers, the best facilities, training, and nutrition money can buy, top notch doctors, both MD's and PhD's as well as free healthcare. And they get all kinds of free stuff from the sponsoring athletic company so they never need to buy clothes either.

All anyone focuses on is how much college and books cost, but all that other **** isn't free either. Price that out on the free market. It adds up.

And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.

They play ******* sports and to get free college and everything else to play a damn game. When is enough enough?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes.
Sounds like you could have used moar college.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny
Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The whole point of the rules is to try and keep things on an even level. Imagine if Texas/OSU/etc could pay their athletes what they wanted, or have people pay those players, they would destroy in recruiting even more than they do now. Certain schools already have an major advantage over others for stuff not dealing with athletics, there is no way college football would work if money was one of those things.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.
So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?
They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.
You do realize these kids get an allowance, right? Straight cash, homey.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not to mention they get housing. If a player chooses to live off campus, it's his own choice and he then has to pay for rent, electric, cable, etc. The school gives all players housing, but if they choose they don't want it then that's their own problem. And in many cases, the school gets them "off campus" housing.

And yes, kids do get allowances. Like I said earlier, they aren't going to be enough to get ridiculously nice things, but it's not like kids aren't able to live comfortably. These arguments need to stop making it seem like kids are scraping by and barely surviving without getting paid.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?
No, unfortunately I do not. All I can tell you is I've had this discussion with University of Akron football players and athletes from other sports. The Akron Football team is paid monthly and the amount differs depending on whether you stay in the dorm or not.

Other sports like girl's basketball is paid out every two weeks. Every sport structures it differently depending on how they feel like broaching the subject.

Kids also receive a per diem on the road, although with football players, this does not come up as football coaches take total control and kids are not on the road long at all, but with a sport like baseball or basketball, they get like $10 or $20 per day for food on the road and there is some flexibility in there for coaches to sort of take control of it and make it a team meal so the school is charged and the kids just keep the money, but I'm not sure on the rules how that goes as far as the NCAA is concerned... I'm sure it's bent though.

Anyway, the amount of money paid out on a month is somewhere between $1,000-$1,500 per month. Most athletes I've talked to don't think they need to be paid necessarily... they just want an increase in that allowance.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.
Hey, if some company can offer me lucrative deals and wants to set me up for life to lend my talents to them, they should be able to, and I should be able to accept.

Quote:

This.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Since when is the majority "very few"?

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
Since when is the majority "very few"?
I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.
Oh, I guess I didn't notice "big" before money. My bad. However, he posted that almost 60% of teams turn profit. That is still the majority. Pretty much all BCS conference teams make profit

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 08-08-2010 at 12:07 AM.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I can hear the fairness argument, but it's a lot less fair that these kids CANT have money.

The NCAA doesnt want to pay the athletes, but they also don't want others to pay them. Kinda not fair either.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.
Bruce Pearl says he misled NCAA - ESPN

Damn...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote