Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Problem With the BCS

This is something my friend and I were discussing while watching the Boise/Va Tech game yesterday.

The computers get blamed for nearly all of the BCS rankings problems. After all, how can a computer fairly judge all 117 eligible schools and determine who deserves to play in what game?

I say the opposite. How can we let incredibly biased media members and coaches have such an influential impact on the rankings and determine who plays in what game? The computers have no favorites. They may have different formulas, but each team is judged without bias, emotion, or how much attention they've received or how many times they've had televised games.

After USC complained their way into an AP National Championship (of which LSU was robbed, BTW. But hey, at least they won the game that mattered and got the crystal trophy), the media members and coaches used it as a launching point to have the BCS formula rewritten in order to more heavily weigh the human vote.

None of these voters watch every game, every weekend. Very few, if any, vote impartially (especially coaches, whose best interests are with their TEAM and not with being a fair voter). What games they choose to watch heavily factor in on where they place a team.

So what do you guys think? We're unlikely to get a playoff system anytime soon, and nobody seems satisfied with the current system? How could we make it better?

I say eliminate the preseason poll completely. There's no need to even start ranking teams until October, at the earliest. Also, I'm still ok with the coach and media polls, but I think they should have a much, much smaller influence in the BCS formula than the computer rankings.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 09-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote