Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010: BCS Buys More Time

Let me preface this by saying that my knowledge of the college football landscape this particular season is not as sharp as it usual is. I didn't buy a preseason mag and I haven't been paying a ridiculous amount of attention to it like i usually do.

As a normal (not over-the-top into it) fan in 2010, I've formed this theory...

This is the first time I've seen a team so clearly above the rest in college football. This Alabama team looks like a pro squad. Last year, their weakest link was their QB, and he now looks like a grizzled veteran, poised, in control, with the ability to be dangerous at any moment. The lines are both incredible, and the secondary/linebackers look like they could all fight for NFL roster spots RIGHT NOW. And that's without mentioning all the NFL skill players (STARS - not just NFL guys) and a top-notch playcalling and preparation coaching staff.

I'm not here to argue, but I saw Ohio State mess around with Miami at home and Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, the two non-BCS schools - all of those are nice teams, but none are in the same class as Bama. I *think* we can agree on this. If you just think about the discrepancy on the lines (TCU), the skill player difference (Nebraska), each team is clearly inferior to Bama in some way or another.

My point, the #1 is Alabama, and barring a great upset, they'll be in the title game again. The #2 is a few notches below, and we still don't know who that is. If you project OSU, you can't say with a straight face that Bama wouldn't wipe the floor with them...

The SEC, to me, is NOT as strong as usual. Sure, Bama's schedule looks tough on paper, and it isn't physically EASY, but the bottom line is I wouldn't expect them to win any of those games by less than two touchdowns - including Jesusless Florida. @ Arkansas seems sneaky, but even with the sexy QB this is a team that led LA-Monroe 7-0 at the half today.

So let's say Bama coasts to an undefeated record. What the BCS wants is for OSU to get picked off (maybe by Denard's Wolverines lol). This is a year where no #2 is really going to have a shot to unseat the champs. So it's a perfect time to prove a point. Boise or TCU (or both), go undefeated, the BCS realizes they can finally prove to people that these teams shouldn't be considered in the title race... Powerhouse Bama promptly destroys one of them and it looks to everyone like the Boise Fiesta Bowl was really a magical night and that the cinderellas don't belong with the big boys on the big stage. A playoff would just show more of these lopsided matchups and lead to the same two best teams, while the system we have now is fine, we just can't be voting in any non-BCS schools. All the while, the BCS knows that the truth is that ANY TEAM would have been demolished by Bama in this given season.

I don't believe in the above but I could sure see it happening. It's cynical, but it's just a thought I had watching Trent Richardson lift Penn State players instead of weights tonight.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The BCS wants Bama vs OSU. That will get the best ratings.

edit: They'd take USC vs Notre Dame but USC is banned right now and Notre Dame just isn't that good.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The SEC, to me, is NOT as strong as usual. Sure, Bama's schedule looks tough on paper, and it isn't physically EASY, but the bottom line is I wouldn't expect them to win any of those games by less than two touchdowns - including Jesusless Florida. @ Arkansas seems sneaky, but even with the sexy QB this is a team that led LA-Monroe 7-0 at the half today.
I beg to differ. SEC teams could easily knock one another off, & based on what we saw from overrated, hapless Penn St. Saturday it's going to be them or nobody. Even last yr when Bama was steamrolling teams Tennessee got it together to scare them witless in a game the Tide won by blocking 2 FGs & cross state rival Auburn put together a gameplan that was leading & required Bama to come from behind in the late 4th qtr. to win.

If anything the SEC is stronger with the emergence of QBs like Mallett, Garcia & Cam Newton ...... And now that Florida has gone 2 games in & learned how to properly do the center-QB exchange, LOL ......
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote