Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Game Planning and Play calling

Posted on BBI.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=386116

Quote:
Just reading on various boards and you normally hear about how a coach didn't adjust or how play calling is predictable. Maybe how we should have ran this formation or not ran another, but I was curious why game planning and play calling aren't talked about more from how coaches normally do it.

So I thought I'd try my best to explain some of it. If any other coaches, specifically Dorgan can throw in their 2 pennies, that would be good too.

Game Planning:

Normally after a game on sunday, you tend to re-watch film and grade your own players for your position. So usually on a sunday, I would have grade my TEs on their effort, assignment and technique. Same for passing plays, adding routes and how their supposed to be ran too.

Usually after you go over the previous games, and talked to the specific players you get film from the other team. This usually happens by tape exchange from the coaches. In the NFL, you have access to ALL the games ever played. So your video games, can create a cutup for that position coach.

Organization of Duties:

Usually the OC gives each position coach a task. For instance, The OL coach may just focus on DL fronts. For example, the Bears run a 43 defense. So how many fronts have we seen them run against the formations we run in our offense.

Ie.

43 over
43 Under
43 wide
43 swim
43 wink

Goal line

Nickel

Dime

So that OL coach checks out the front, and then you get a good look on how they line up.

The TE coach usually will see where the LBs are lined up specifically the SAM and where he is in relation to the TE.

You're WR coach may be checking out CBs and any their alignment.

QB coach and OC could be tallying and drawing out their blitzes they run by down and distance.

RB coach may be focusing on Lbs and safties.

So basically after they watch film you get a sense of how to attack that defense. The video guys and scouts also give you a player scouting report so you may target specific players too. But keeping this to scheme and the general ways to game plan, is my goal right now.

So basically now you are breaking everything by down and distance, and have it all over the offensive meetings room on the dry board.

So you see ok, they run a lot of 43 over. The OC may ask the OL coach what pass protection should we use for that. How many protections and concepts do we want to install? How many concepts have been successful out of the 3 games that will be carried over on in the game plan and eventually your call sheet.

So you may get the OL coach saying. Ok on a 5 or 7 step drop let's run BOB protection. Who knows you have that successfully installed anyways? If so, then because of specific blitzes they run, you may tweak some things just for them. Ok they blitz couple Lbs. So let's move the RB there, and then have the LB come as the "hot" Lb, where Eli can see, and get the ball out. We can also have the line slide as well.

So during this phase you install protections and concepts. So because Peppers is a beast let's run more quick game, and 3 step passes. We can install rollout, bootleg, and sprint out protections, while adding more slants and screens this week. On the other hand, the staff may say let's add more 5 and 7 step concepts because we feel our Wrs can take adv. of their secondary.

Xs and Os:

Now you get an image of how their defense lines up. So you may add new plays to install in the gameplan or install plays existing in your playbook for this defense.

Ie.

4 Wide Set: Dime personnel, 43 front. That 43 front is typically a 43 swim front and they bring a sky safety with single high on top.

We feel that Smith and Nicks can High/low the safety, D. Manning by running C1 beaters such as NCAA concept on them, which is a 3 level vertical stretch that high/lows the single high.

SO something like that is the next step. Except you install your formations and then use how they line up in previous games as a guideline.

Practicing:

During the week now, you create cards and show how you want your scout defense to lineup based on the cards,and run that play. You may have installed new plays for this week, so this is the time to rep it. You do this during walkthrough, inside drill(running plays) and Pass skelly for passing plays.

Play calling:

So now you have all these plays and formations installed. So during the week you are creating a call sheet for this game. A call sheet is basically the Xs and Os in play terminology broken down by the OC to how he calls the game. Normally the standard way to do this is break everything by down and distance. On this call sheet you have timeouts, personnel packages for this game, opening scripted plays, half time adjustments, and so on.

Packages installed may be 4-10. For example:

NASCAR Personnel( Fast Wrs)

X: Nicks
Z: Manningham
Y Smith
H: Cruz

So that's our 4 wide fast WRs...

Regular: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB

X Nicks
Z Smith
H Manningham
Y Boss

So you could have any amount taking adv. of individual players on their defense. Maybe NASCAR is effective vs them, so you use that personal more. For example before the play. NASCAR, NASCAR, Double Slot Strong Left X return all 9s on monday. That could be one of the successful plays we run.

Now play calling is based on what the OC is getting upstairs in terms of information. Usually after the first scripted series OR 2, the position coaches down stairs ask the players. IS what we studied or game planned for the way they are lining up? Now you get two answers.. YES or NO. If yes, we are fine, if no, you make adjustments and ask. So I would ask my TE player. When we line up in I pro left, is that LB at a 70T? If he says no, he is more ally, then we tell the guys upstairs.

But once the game is flowing the guys upstairs may see certain trends. But in terms of specific play calling Gilbride or any other OC would read from his call sheet.

For example:

3rd and (1-4)

1. Passing Play 1. Running play
2. Passing Play 2. Running play
3. Passing PLay 3. Running Play
4. Passing Play
5. Passing Play

So exchange the terms "passing play" or "running play" with specific terminology. Like I pro left 36 power. Shotgun-Double Slot right, 24 draw.

And basically now you are doing this for each down and distance, AND irregular down and distances too. So you may have a section for any down or 20 yards. So when we go 3rd and 30, we may have a few plays broken down in for that situation. Some really good OCs organize their call sheet in much detail.

But that's why as fans you may see some bread and butter plays ran over and over. Fans call this predictability, however the way the call sheet is broken down you see plays will repeat themselves in some fashion.

One aspect for creating a call sheet is also the statistics of what's going on offense. For example, how many total plays do we avg a game? Let's say 100 plays. Now in our system I want it to be 50-50.

SO 50 running plays and 50 passing plays. Now how many 3rd downs did we face this year. From there you keep breaking your call sheet down accordingly. Then that's your frame work. You then tweak it depending on opponent and your game plan.

But just thought I'd try my best to explain some of things going on behind the scenes on how coaches game plan. I am sure if anyone else who coached has something to add please feel free. I know Dorgan has a lot of experience, so maybe he can comment on a few things.

But game planning and play calling is more involved then what it may seem. Also, due to the dynamics of play calling you WILL get plays repeated. Remember your call sheet is finite, so in a course of a game you may get a down and distance to come up often for some reason. So that means you may see more plays from that section come up.

Hope this helps though.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great thread, Boss (or Shocking!). It's amazing how complex these offenses are. It's no wonder they can install anything with one weeks time. It makes sense that most teams coming off a bye week really do well with all that extra time.

I'm curious, if you think someone is a "bad" playcaller does that mean they're poor in the implementing of their offense in that weeks time or that they actually just don't call the correct play for the given situation during the game? Or maybe a combination of both. Or their overall play concepts aren't as good as say..Mike Martz.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I steal feel like the limitations of having to work on a call sheet could be worked around, at least for more foreseeable "****'s going wrong" scenarios, but strong post anyway and why I love our board.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great post!! As Rosebud said this is one of the reasons I love the Giants fans here.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get this on offense as the offenses are far more complex than defenses. However I still get upset when defenses don't adjust. Bill up in New England is famous for reading the opposing teams offense the first drive of the game and reacting to what they think they have for a gameplan. I feel like Fewell didn't do that at all in Indy when after 10 mins it was pretty damn clear what he had going in wasn't going to work.

As much as I don't like the guy, it's pretty clear Rex Ryan is similar. No call sheet. He just calls it as he sees it.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Jug brings up a good point. I'd like to see if defenses do the same thing or not.

I never see Bill or Rex with a call sheet. This is a great thread, really gives you insight to how much preparation goes into each game.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah, Jug brings up a good point. I'd like to see if defenses do the same thing or not.

I never see Bill or Rex with a call sheet. This is a great thread, really gives you insight to how much preparation goes into each game.
Don't know about that. I usually keep to my side of the ball. THat's the thing with football, when it comes to offense and defense. It's kind of like us and them sort of mentality. Defense works together and form bonds, and offensive players form bonds.

During lunch, defensive coaches would ask us about a certain play we ran in practice against them, and we'd explain, but other than that, it's kind of divided, not in a bad way of course.

I guess that's something you can observe throughout the season.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Don't know about that. I usually keep to my side of the ball. THat's the thing with football, when it comes to offense and defense. It's kind of like us and them sort of mentality. Defense works together and form bonds, and offensive players form bonds.

During lunch, defensive coaches would ask us about a certain play we ran in practice against them, and we'd explain, but other than that, it's kind of divided, not in a bad way of course.

I guess that's something you can observe throughout the season.
My question that isn't really answered based on the call sheets is, why are some coaches so much better than others at making half time adjustments?

It seems like you live and die with that call sheet and can make minor adjustments to it, but nothing major.

And it makes sense too, because I was begging for screen passes vs Indy, and didn't see any. But then we saw a bunch vs the Titans. So my guess is they didn't have many screens on the call sheet bc they didn't anticipate that kind of pass rush, but then implemented it into their call sheet the following week just in case.

But why do some offensive coaches do a much better job than others at adjustments? Is it just them doing a better job of building up their call sheet during the week in anticipation of certain situations that arise during a game?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
My question that isn't really answered based on the call sheets is, why are some coaches so much better than others at making half time adjustments?

It seems like you live and die with that call sheet and can make minor adjustments to it, but nothing major.

And it makes sense too, because I was begging for screen passes vs Indy, and didn't see any. But then we saw a bunch vs the Titans. So my guess is they didn't have many screens on the call sheet bc they didn't anticipate that kind of pass rush, but then implemented it into their call sheet the following week just in case.

But why do some offensive coaches do a much better job than others at adjustments? Is it just them doing a better job of building up their call sheet during the week in anticipation of certain situations that arise during a game?
It comes down to what adjustments you have on your call sheet as plan B, C, and or D. What is your offensive system?

For example, Dallas has a numbered offensive system for their routes.

So a play might be Shotgun Double Slot Right Strong right - 9999 2 angle

So that's Double slot, with the Rb to the right of the Qb. All 9s would be all go routes, and 2 angle would be the 2 back running an angle route.

So sometimes in that system if a defense is doing something, you make adjustments on the fly and change the numbers to something else

Shotgun Double Slot Right, Strong Right, - 9509 ...

So if there is a sky safety, and single safety back, you can change the routes to be a go route, dig route, under route, go route.

That might not be on the call sheet, but you can call that. However not all offensive systems are the same, so some times the terminology might not allow that. Remember there are so many different variables because different OCs have different systems, different terminology for that system, different call sheets, different ways of organizing that call, and different coaches upstairs calling the plays.

OCs rely on the guys upstairs. Remember, the OCs are on the sideline so you can only adjust based on what your players are telling you, and what kind of information you're getting upstairs from the position coaches.

Yeah you live in die with the call sheet, and can't all of a sudden do anything major. Think about it.. you can't call of a sudden change your system mid game, and start running the option after going spread. You may in HS because systems can change week to week, but in the Pros it's VERY hard. You have certain amount of practice time, and you get your game plan in then. LOGISTICALLY, you can't call plays off chart, because you didn't rep and practice them throughout the week.

It's like saying, this bio test is on chapter 1, 2 and 3. And then me testing you with a few questions on chapter 10 and 11. How can that work? You didn't study it or go over it in detail, and do practice problems throughout the week. Same with football in a way. How can I ask you all the plays if you didn't practice it against the scout team? We didn't set up the practice cards based on their defense even, so you can't run these things.

So yeah sutble changes work, but you can't take it back to formula mid game. That's where you hope your game plan is solid and that your call sheet based on your game plan is good too.

Think of it this way, Let's play a game. You have 70 plays I have 70 plays, and now we call them. My 70 plays may be more 3, 5, 7 step drops against your defense. However, unforeseen issues arise, and my OTs get hurt OR have a bad game. Now I am kinda limited because my 70 plays are based on a certain gameplan. So that goes screw me in a way, because it makes calling a lot of my plays hard. Right, wrong or otherwise, this is the logistics of it. Now I may have more plays on the side, in the adjustments section, but I can't have too many plays because I have to have my players practice it throughout the week. If not, then maybe they were from last weeks game, but still I'd feel more comfortable if we practiced it.

You can bet adjustments are ALWAYS made. The question is.. Have they worked or have they not worked? But when fans say the OC didn't adjust, that's BS! He did, but we, as fans can't see it. Why? Because we were not at the offensive meetings. We don't have a call sheet to see what's going on. Finally, we don't have a head set either, so we can't hear the conversation or thought process.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there have been too many adjustments that have need to be made with the offense. It's just execution. Stupid turnovers inside the red zone, and WRs tipping INTs into the air.

The defense on the other hand, albeit one game, had their lunches handed to them. And continued with the same plan. Don't they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That's how I felt about the Indy game. It was clear our defensive gameplan was crap and wasn't going to work after two Colt offensive drives. Yet took way too long to adjust.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't think there have been too many adjustments that have need to be made with the offense. It's just execution. Stupid turnovers inside the red zone, and WRs tipping INTs into the air.

The defense on the other hand, albeit one game, had their lunches handed to them. And continued with the same plan. Don't they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That's how I felt about the Indy game. It was clear our defensive gameplan was crap and wasn't going to work after two Colt offensive drives. Yet took way too long to adjust.
Actually I disagree, our defensive game plan was great and logical against the Colts. What killed us was that they caught us with our pants down AND they were patient. You see Peyton can wing the ball all over and pass on everyone. We figured based on film, and past tendencies that they would try to run, and then have Peyton carry the team.

So the game plan was nickel and dime personnel and stop the run. We did that in the Panthers game too I believe. So we thought they would do that against the Colts AND then we'd be prepared to handle Manning when he passed the ball.. EXCEPT, they ran the ball and stayed patient to running the ball, which is something he didn't do since his rookie year. That was the issue. We were prepared for the logical way of how things would unfold, that Peyton caught us with our pants down, and stuck to the run. We couldn't stop the run, and he stuck with it. It was clear, we expected him to get those running plays out of his system and start throwing again. But he never did that.

So was the game plan good and logical based on past trends from film. Sure. But credit Peyton for calling his plays AND sticking to the run. That's the variable we didn't expect. We expected him to stop and throw all over, where we could be prepared. Thats what killed us. The game plan was fine based on what we saw on film, and past tendencies. However, he did a heck of a job of staying patient, and that negated our gameplan in a way. That's just a HOF QB beating us. That happens in football. You learn, and move on. I am sure if we stayed balanced, he probably would have passed and killed us. Then what would we say? How stupid is our game plan, the Colts never run, and Peyton can throw, so why didn't we prepare for him throwing? So you see, your screwed either way, fans will talk smack about it. I thought it was a good game plan and more importantly logical. We just got beat by a first ballot HOF QB. You just tip your hat to Peyton and move on to the next game.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I thought the plan was great and logical too. When GF told me that we only dressed two DTs that day, I said smart idea. We need all DEs and DBs out there. However we were wrong. And that was blantantly obvious 10 minutes into the game.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was a bad idea at the time but whatever. The problem is we only have 4 DT's on the team so on any given day probably only 3 of them will dress anyway.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I thought it was a bad idea at the time but whatever. The problem is we only have 4 DT's on the team so on any given day probably only 3 of them will dress anyway.
I don't think the DTs were the problem. It took Fewell forever to even put LBers on the field. Having Kiwi or Tuck at DT with Canty isn't terrible but we stayed in nickel and dime way too long when they were constantly gashing us. Sure if we adjusted earlier, Peyton may have torched us earlier, but I would have taken a shot with that unknown rather than what was happening on the field.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Yeah, but I am sure the defensive staff kept waiting for Peyton say ok, enough running, let's throw the ball and attack this defense. However, he stayed extremely patient and stuck to the run. 42 times they ran or something. He hasn't done that since his rookie year!! That's amazing! That was a tendency breaker in it's own right. Now it's on film, and makes DCs weary because it can show that he has the patience to stuck to something he may not want to do. So now what? Die by the run or die by passing? That's like asking someone electric chair or lethal injection? That's VERY tough now when you play that team. He showed he is fine running the ball. And we all know he can kill you through the air. So now what? Excellent the way they responded. Again, can't fault our game plan. Logical gameplan, but we got beat and undone. You tip your hand to the other team and shake your head in a surprised manner for that one.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Bump. I moved this thread to the main forum so everyone can see what goes into a week's preparation by an NFL team.

Boss did an excellent job explaining what an offense does during the week and why our perception of playcalling and adjustments are not accurate.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Bump. I moved this thread to the main forum so everyone can see what goes into a week's preparation by an NFL team.

Boss did an excellent job explaining what an offense does during the week and why our perception of playcalling and adjustments are not accurate.
Hey BBD, I was wondering why this was in the main section. I thought I must have hit something by mistake. But I see you have the power of moving threads!

This is just a general way of how coaches go about their business of game planning and then play calling. Obviously depends on the staff, and OC, and how he runs his meetings. So things are obviously slightly different depending on the team, HC, egos, staff, and personnel. But this should provide some insight on the general way of how coaches actually go about game planning week to week, and then call plays. This holds true for all levels of the game. Though HS might be very watered down and less detailed as the college and NFL ranks.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Hey BBD, I was wondering why this was in the main section. I thought I must have hit something by mistake. But I see you have the power of moving threads!

This is just a general way of how coaches go about their business of game planning and then play calling. Obviously depends on the staff, and OC, and how he runs his meetings. So things are obviously slightly different depending on the team, HC, egos, staff, and personnel. But this should provide some insight on the general way of how coaches actually go about game planning week to week, and then call plays. This holds true for all levels of the game. Though HS might be very watered down and less detailed as the college and NFL ranks.
I'd love to hear a defensive coach's perspective on this too. Im curious to see how they approach their gameplan.

My guess is some DC's focus more on attacking protection schemes (the blitz heavy guys) while other DCs might favor an approach that focuses more on coverage (Billichick/Crennel).

I know they put a lot of time into both, but Im sure some guys will focus their game plan more on pressure while others want to disguise their coverage more than disguise their rush.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd love to hear a defensive coach's perspective on this too. Im curious to see how they approach their gameplan.

My guess is some DC's focus more on attacking protection schemes (the blitz heavy guys) while other DCs might favor an approach that focuses more on coverage (Billichick/Crennel).

I know they put a lot of time into both, but Im sure some guys will focus their game plan more on pressure while others want to disguise their coverage more than disguise their rush.
My friend Dave is a defensive coach. I will ask him. If I ever get to talk to Coach Campo, then I can ask him to give me some insight.

I am not sure how defensive players really go about it. I know they count formations, down/distances, running and passing concepts. That I know for sure, the rest I am not sure.

My guess is that they have concrete ways they line up against each formation the offense throws. I say that because that's what we look for. If we play a defense next game, I want to see how the Lions line up against each formation that the Rams used, and prior teams. From there then I go on and find weakness and install from there. So conversely, I am guessing the defense checks out the formations we use, and line up based on what they like.

Well the DC may, but the other position coaches have duties too. Not sure about those, but we on offense, have specific tasks when it comes to reviewing tape, and what to look for. Then in a meeting, we pool it all together, and the opposing team's defense starts to take shape, and then we go from there on how to attack it.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
My friend Dave is a defensive coach. I will ask him. If I ever get to talk to Coach Campo, then I can ask him to give me some insight.

I am not sure how defensive players really go about it. I know they count formations, down/distances, running and passing concepts. That I know for sure, the rest I am not sure.

My guess is that they have concrete ways they line up against each formation the offense throws. I say that because that's what we look for. If we play a defense next game, I want to see how the Lions line up against each formation that the Rams used, and prior teams. From there then I go on and find weakness and install from there. So conversely, I am guessing the defense checks out the formations we use, and line up based on what they like.

Well the DC may, but the other position coaches have duties too. Not sure about those, but we on offense, have specific tasks when it comes to reviewing tape, and what to look for. Then in a meeting, we pool it all together, and the opposing team's defense starts to take shape, and then we go from there on how to attack it.
All the studying during the week really shows the casual fan how important it is to have intelligent players if you run a complex scheme.

I personally favor schemes that are simple for the players to digest, but complex in nature, like Rex's scheme. The complexity comes from the formations and blitzes, but the responsibilities for the players are simple so they can just go out and be athletes.

But when you look at a scheme like Bellichick/Crennel run, its very complicated. The checks the defenders have to make based on formation and coverages really makes it difficult for a dumb player to thrive in.

That's why they go after smart guys and not necessarily the athletes everyone else wants.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The D definitely lines up based on the offense if only because Dlineman line up based on the OLineman. Thus depending on the formation you're facing you'll adjust where you lineup, or not, depending on the formation.

As for the play calling I don't know enough about that, I can only speak to how DL are taught since that's what I played in high school, that's what my buddy played at UB and that's what I know most, although I suspect that BBD is right in that the defense, just like the offense, groups its plays by down and distance as well as by formation.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I know it was much simpler at the HS level. We literally had 5 formations, 43, 43 under, 43 over and base nickel and base dime.

And we ran the same 10 plays out of each formation. Very simple.

Coach wanted us focusing more on our individual technique and spend more time improving our athleticism and didn't want to overload our brain with too much reacting. He just wanted us to perfect our technique, show up as athletic as possible, and just play.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Here's how we did it:

Break down every play the upcoming team has run so far this season (and some from last season if it's early in the year). Plays are broken down by down and distance, formation, hashmark, and what play is run.

The most important thing is trying to narrow down the run/pass percentages out of certain down and distances (first and possession, first and ten, 2nd and 7+, 2nd and 3-6, 2nd and -3, 3rd and 7+, 3rd and 3-6, 3rd and -3, etc). Then you get the percentages of what plays are run out of certain formations and hashmarks.

Like offense, each position group will also be assigned to analyze personnel for their position group. D-line coaches will look at their pass protection schemes, do they tip off run/pass by their stance, do they give away pass on play action by popping up high instead of firing out, etc. Secondary coaches analyze WR formations/groupings and route combinations as well as quarterback tendencies. The linebackers coaches do a little bit of everything. They analyze pass protections, formation groupings, runningback substitution tendencies, etc.

When you break down every single play of an offense, you get a pretty good idea of what they're going to do in almost every conceivable down and distance, as well as who they like to go to in certain situations, what kind of pass protection you'll see out of certain formations (which is huge if you're a blitzing team), etc. I'd imagine a team like the Jets focuses on that almost exclusively during the week, since they run so much man anyways. They want to find the holes in their protection schemes, and which ones they run out of certain formations.

Personnel groupings are so, so huge too. You'll find things out like in 2nd and 3-6 they've got a 50-50 split between run and pass and they like balanced sets. But they're 80% run when they've got a fullback in as opposed to 35% run when they're in double tight, single back.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 10-12-2010 at 10:42 AM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Here's how we did it:

Break down every play the upcoming team has run so far this season (and some from last season if it's early in the year). Plays are broken down by down and distance, formation, hashmark, and what play is run.

The most important thing is trying to narrow down the run/pass percentages out of certain down and distances (first and possession, first and ten, 2nd and 7+, 2nd and 3-6, 2nd and -3, 3rd and 7+, 3rd and 3-6, 3rd and -3, etc). Then you get the percentages of what plays are run out of certain formations and hashmarks.

Like offense, each position group will also be assigned to analyze personnel for their position group. D-line coaches will look at their pass protection schemes, do they tip off run/pass by their stance, do they give away pass on play action by popping up high instead of firing out, etc. Secondary coaches analyze WR formations/groupings and route combinations as well as quarterback tendencies. The linebackers coaches do a little bit of everything. They analyze pass protections, formation groupings, runningback substitution tendencies, etc.

When you break down every single play of an offense, you get a pretty good idea of what they're going to do in almost every conceivable down and distance, as well as who they like to go to in certain situations, what kind of pass protection you'll see out of certain formations (which is huge if you're a blitzing team), etc. I'd imagine a team like the Jets focuses on that almost exclusively during the week, since they run so much man anyways. They want to find the holes in their protection schemes, and which ones they run out of certain formations.

Personnel groupings are so, so huge too. You'll find things out like in 2nd and 3-6 they've got a 50-50 split between run and pass and they like balanced sets. But they're 80% run when they've got a fullback in as opposed to 35% run when they're in double tight, single back.

What level is this for?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What level is this for?
That was just for high school, but the staff that I coached on had quite a few guys who had coached at smaller colleges. We ran a pretty complex 3-3-3 stack.

Obviously the higher level you go, the more information their is to process and the schemes get infinitely more complex. In the pros, the quality control guys probably make 10-15 different video cutups a week, just based on certain things like motion, personnel groupings, etc. I imagine the same basic process for breaking teams down stays relatively similar, though.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the playcalling for the first twenty or so plays vs the rest of the game. Some teams, coaches, and quarterbacks are great for the first portion of the game, because they're running off a script and disregarding down and distance to eliminate their tendencies. Do they immediately revert back to their tendencies once their script is done? Does the QB lose or gain a feel for the game once he's off the script?

There's so much information to process it's insane.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 10-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote