Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
He's saying that a player's proximity to your lifespan doesn't make that player better in any objective sense. Which is correct.

I don't necessarily think that one type of game was obviously more demanding than another. This modern game requires more dedication from it's athletes, demands that they stay in peak physical form later into their careers. The old game was one where, as a defender, an offensive line could attack your knees while you were engaged while your man tries to gouge your eye out. They had their unique difficulties.
Which is why these comparisons are so tough. If you took either one of these guys in their primes and just dropped them into a different era, they both would likely look confused and out of place.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So don't do that. It's not logical.

Look at that player's dominance and profile in their own era of football. Nothing more, nothing less. I know many of us weren't alive to see them play, but that doesn't render us incapable of understanding their place in the history of the game.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Doesn't matter. Anyone over 30 looks at these threads, laughs, and mutters "stupid kids," anyway. This forum thinks that the NFL started in 2000.
Great point except that almost every player selected was retired before 2000. Particularly in DEs and most of the top players.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just curious how did some of you guys develop your knowledge about the older players. I think guys like YFS and BBD are all in the 25-30 range, so JW how did you get that knowledge.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Just curious how did some of you guys develop your knowledge about the older players. I think guys like YFS and BBD are all in the 25-30 range, so JW how did you get that knowledge.
NFL Network top 10 lists and old games on NFLN prob.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Come on man! I'm only 22.

This is your best friend for these threads. I've watched countless hours on it.

hulu.com/nfl

I grew up watching ESPN classic, reading NFL books, and my dad and grandpa were both huge NFL fans. I gained an appreciation for older generations of football at a fairly young age.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post

hulu.com/nfl
If there's three things I hate about living in Canada, its no In-N-Out Burger, no ESPN 3 and no hulu.

We're on #4 now.

1. Dick Butkus
2. Ray Lewis
3. Ray Nitchske
4. ?

My vote is Mike Singletary (5).

Mike Singletary (5)
Willie Lanier (3)
Jack Lambert (2)

Last edited by TACKLE : 10-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Come on man! I'm only 22.

hulu.com/nfl

I grew up watching ESPN classic, reading NFL books, and my dad and grandpa were both huge NFL fans. I gained an appreciation for older generations of football at a fairly young age.
Never used Hulu before. That is amazing. I can look at Ravens highlights from 1996! and other stuff too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote