Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
lol, what? What things aren't looking good? If anything the hype over it has INCREASED and how has it looked like a flop when it hasn't even been released?

This entire post made no sense.
What do you expect from someone who would show interest in the Final Fantasy MMO's?

But yeah, TOR's hype has massive at this point. Especially since E3. I'm curious how it's looking like a "massive flop".
Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In general I respect nepgs opinion on various topics, but I'm just confused as to what he has been seeing or reading that has shown any negatives about TOR.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As do I respect his opinion, but can't comprehend someone A) showing interest in the FF MMO's and B) saying TOR is going to flop with all evidence pointing to it being amazing.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lol, what? What things aren't looking good? If anything the hype over it has INCREASED and how has it looked like a flop when it hasn't even been released?

This entire post made no sense.
Apparently they've dumped $300 million into it and all they have to show for it is a 27GB sound file, and not much else in terms of content. Lucas and EA are extremely worried that the game will flop. Apparently they put everything into the voice acting, and the rest of the game is a mess.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Apparently they've dumped $300 million into it and all they have to show for it is a 27GB sound file, and not much else in terms of content. Lucas and EA are extremely worried that the game will flop. Apparently they put everything into the voice acting, and the rest of the game is a mess.
Again, based on what?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Again, based on what?
Read a few different accounts from EA and Bioware insiders. Couldn't find a link. I think one of them I read was from IGN. The reports also said that they've been pulling programmers from Mythic as they're scrambling to get something together.

What's with the FF comments? I never played FFXI because I knew what it was and what it was was grindy garbage. SquEnix insisted that FFXIV was going to be more of an American MMO with changes made at the behest of the fanbase...and it was running on the FFXIII engine, so I was interested until my friend played the beta.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't heard a thing about this and I'm trying to find information about it and I'm coming up with nothing, so unsure where you read it but links would be awesome.

Everything I've read/seen has shown that the game is actually pretty developed already. Bioware is not a company that is going to create a bad game and I find it hard to believe that it'll fail based on their track record. SW:TOR has already won awards from E3 for best MMORPG, best PC game, best in show, best game in general, etc.

I dunno. Gimme some links because I'd be interested to read what you did.

Last edited by vidae : 10-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Old Republic group gameplay looked good to me and so did the combat. I want to see these links like Vidae said.

I'm more excited for EverQuest Next. They haven't shown or released much about it, but I watched some developer panel interview. My excitement extends from playing EQ way back in the day. I didn't get into EQ2, but they're going to make feel more like EQ1. The concept art and few screenshots they released looked amazing. One screenshot looked like concept art, but they assured it was a screenshot.

As for Cataclysm, I'll probably get to level 85 then quit again.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The TOR gameplay and combat looks amazing, and the story looks out of this world. I still want to see links.

And nrk, you might be interested in the server I'm playing EQ on right now.

It's called Project1999 and it is modeled exactly, to the letter, of the game pre-Kunark. If you enjoyed early EQ, you'll love this.

Google search project1999. It's easy enough to set up. If you decide you're going to play, send me a pm here or send a tell to "Vaek" in game. It's my Ogre Shaman. I can help you get started with some starter plat and backpacks or somethin. :)

Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
I haven't heard a thing about this and I'm trying to find information about it and I'm coming up with nothing, so unsure where you read it but links would be awesome.

Everything I've read/seen has shown that the game is actually pretty developed already. Bioware is not a company that is going to create a bad game and I find it hard to believe that it'll fail based on their track record. SW:TOR has already won awards from E3 for best MMORPG, best PC game, best in show, best game in general, etc.

I dunno. Gimme some links because I'd be interested to read what you did.
It's not Bioware causing the supposed problems, it's EA... Which is why I think what I read holds water. EA gets their mits on every MMO they are near and ruin it somehow. Just look what happened to UO and then WoW.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I do believe that because EA is an awful company, but Bioware/LA hold all the creative cards and have from day one. I'm not worried about EA ******* this one up at all, not with Bioware in control and LucasArts being the nazis they always are. EA is only publishing it, period, from what I've heard.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Read a few different accounts from EA and Bioware insiders. Couldn't find a link. I think one of them I read was from IGN. The reports also said that they've been pulling programmers from Mythic as they're scrambling to get something together.

What's with the FF comments? I never played FFXI because I knew what it was and what it was was grindy garbage. SquEnix insisted that FFXIV was going to be more of an American MMO with changes made at the behest of the fanbase...and it was running on the FFXIII engine, so I was interested until my friend played the beta.
Haha, I was just joking around about FF.

But yeah, I don't really buy what you're saying (until I see proof). Like Vidae and Nrk said, everything we've seen thus far contradicts what you're saying.

I don't see how the voice acting part of the game (27 gb sound file, as you put it) would interfere with what the programmers, artists, designers, etc. are doing with the game world. They're two completely different things. There is a story/writing/audio team that deals almost exclusively with that part of the game.

Not to mention they didn't design the game engine from the ground up. They purchased a toolset that essentially takes out a large chunk out of what the coders and designers need to do. The design and programing team have had 4+ years exclusively to devote on the game world/combat/quests and so on.

Plus the game is already in preliminary form of beta, which they wouldn't do if it wasn't close to done. At this phase it's almost completely bug fixing.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Well, it's very similar to the reports that came out about Alpha Protocol when AP was about to be released... So that's another reason I'm not just calling BS on it, too. I'll get the links later.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Here we go....

It's mostly about why Warhammer failed, but then he goes into TOR later...
http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/hello-world/

Quote:
And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ……

Last edited by nepg : 10-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Uh, how about a reputable source? rofl

Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It's about as reputable as the one for Alpha Protocol. I've seen other snippets about TOR, too. I had to ask a friend to help me find that link.

Keep in mind that I'm a Bioware fanboy (and Black Isle/Obsidian too)...

There have just been little things about TOR, and the fact that Bioware is under EA really bothers me. I hope it's great, but I'm not going to try to be the first person to login to the servers on launch day.

Last edited by nepg : 10-25-2010 at 03:58 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

That's your source? A completely bias, one sided, poorly edited EA hate "blog", if you can even call it that.

Some of the points it makes are completely nonsensical, and down right stupid. The developers have always said one thing that will make TOR different is the voice acting and story, but it's focus is far greater than that.

You can't seriously believe this can you, nepg?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here we go....

It's mostly about why Warhammer failed, but then he goes into TOR later...
http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/hello-world/
well thats an interesting read if anything else.

And for the record, I was a huge fan of the Final Fantasy PS series, but the FF MMO blows imo.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
That's your source? A completely bias, one sided, poorly edited EA hate "blog", if you can even call it that.

Some of the points it makes are completely nonsensical, and down right stupid. The developers have always said one thing that will make TOR different is the voice acting and story, but it's focus is far greater than that.

You can't seriously believe this can you, nepg?
I'll say this. It changed my level of anticipation for TOR. And that's not the only one I've seen.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
It's about as reputable as the one for Alpha Protocol. I've seen other snippets about TOR, too. I had to ask a friend to help me find that link.

Keep in mind that I'm a Bioware fanboy (and Black Isle/Obsidian too)...

There have just been little things about TOR, and the fact that Bioware is under EA really bothers me. I hope it's great, but I'm not going to try to be the first person to login to the servers on launch day.
The **** does that prove? Nothing.

It's a blog by a disgruntled ex-employee. What do you expect? Sunshine and kittens? Of course they're pissed and they're going to say anything they can to slander their ex-employer.

That source wasn't reputable or credible at all. You say it's by IGN, who I would be interested to read, and then you post some random blog. Ugh.

Last edited by vidae : 10-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
well thats an interesting read if anything else.

And for the record, I was a huge fan of the Final Fantasy PS series, but the FF MMO blows imo.
Playstation Final Fantasy's rule......They seem to be divisive for most people. People either love them or they laugh at you and tell you how stupid you are if you say you love them.

Never played the MMOs though....MMOs never really appealed to me.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

And that's assuming it's even an employee.

Being a fan boy you should know it was Obsidian that messed up on Alpha Protocol, not Bioware. Bioware has continued to make fantastic games even since EA has come into the picture. Why you would buy into an employee with an obvious axe to grind is beyond me.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
And that's assuming it's even an employee.

Being a fan boy you should know it was Obsidian that messed up on Alpha Protocol, not Bioware. Bioware has continued to make fantastic games even since EA has come into the picture. Why you would buy into an employee with an obvious axe to grind is beyond me.
Sega ****** up Alpha Protocol.

EA has left Bioware alone since they came into the company, but once you start talking MMOs... That's a whole new ball game. Bioware is known for taking their time and pushing back releases to make sure they get it right. TOR just seems rushed - especially compared to their other games.

Just saying...I see some cause for concern.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Meh, I'm not worried about it. This game has been in development a long time. Also, Bioware isn't that well known for pushing back releases. That's more of a Blizzard trait, which they really haven't done in quite sometime. The Bioware team making TOR has a HUGE staff, devoted to more than just the audio element of the game. Not to mention they have an insane budget. Plus they've hired good designers and re-used much of the original KOTOR team. I have zero doubts this game will be awesome.

If you provide credible sources (i.e., fair and balanced with no agenda) I'd be interested to see them and it would raise my concerns. Until that point I have faith Bioware will get the job done based on their past games and everything I've seen on the game thus far.

You're obviously entitled to have your own doubts, but saying it's not going to be good based on a clearly biased and possibly uninformed source is pretty absurd.

And honestly, I think Obsidian is the issue more than the Sega, or any of their publishers. They've proven time and time again that their games are unpolished and flawed. Look at New Vegas. Okay reviews for the game, but it's super buggy. Just not as good a developer as people think, tbh.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

What Forenci said.