Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Suh vs. McCoy

I know it's early in their careers, but damn, Suh has 4.5 sacks already in 6 games and McCoy has none in same amount of games.

Can anyone explain why?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suh and McCoy are both different types of players and play different DT positions.

Suh plays the NT in the 4-3. He also has a better supporting cast in Corey Williams and Vanden Bosch, although I am not making excuses. Suh was more pro-ready at the time, while McCoy has the potential and talent to be better when all is said and done.

McCoy is playing Under Tackle position in the tampa 2, one of the hardest positions to learn, as the whole d-line feeds off of the under tackle. That is a lot to ask for from a 22 year old rookie who has nothing but backups along the d-line at DE. (Just ask Warren Sapp how long it took him to grasp and dominate at that position). He is also asked to kick to end in our 3-3-5 schemes, something Suh isn't doing, and 3 down lineman ends don't usually get many sacks.

I am not making excuses or anything because I said that Suh is better, however its a 6 game old season. Too early to judge a player this early. McCoy is doing a nice job at getting penetration and pressure, but it's not his fault guys like Barrett Ruud don't fill the gaps in the run defense or our DE's can't win 1 on 1 matchup. Both the center and guard are doubling McCoy every time, and he's still generates pressure. Love that! Sacks will come.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cool. That makes me feel a little better. thanks.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the fact we use McCoy as a DE on our 3-3-5. All Morris said after we drafted this kid is that he's an UT and will be perfect for his Tampa 2.0 system.

So why are you playing him at DE? The kid works hard inside for you on first and second down then when it's 3rd and long you kick him out to end?

I miss the good ol days for us rushing four, dropping seven and getting after the QB... Like Sapp use to say Were not building rockets here in Tampa. Were just getting after the QB.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suh has also played DE for the Lions (not as much as McCoy for the bucs though). As for the UT/NT thing, NT is a posistion that occupies blockers. It's hard to evaluate D-lineman early, but Suh is clearly the better of the two ATM (without comparing stats).

I think both will be elite DT's in about 3 years.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah it's kinda tough to make a comparison between McCoy and Suh at this stage. If McCoy plays only at UT I'd be a much happier panda.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
I know it's early in their careers, but damn, Suh has 4.5 sacks already in 6 games and McCoy has none in same amount of games.

Can anyone explain why?
Because Suh is way better at getting into the backfield and making plays, it's pretty simple.

"I can't be (Warren) Sapp," McCoy said. "I don't know why people keep expecting me to be"

We know.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I think we are falling into the trap of comparing and expecting him to do what Suh is doing. Funny thing about that is Suh is arguably the top defensive tackle in the league right now and it's hard to compar anyone's form to his at the moment.

McCoy has played decently. I just want to see him stick to the one position.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, for real, McCoy is a young guy that still needs to develop his upper body, but he's a great athlete, and a fantastic prospect, but Suh is a generational talent IMO.

I will admit that I'd have prefer if you guys blew the pick and took Jason Pierre Paul or something
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
lowlife
Veteran

lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's ridiculously early and sacks are by no means an end all comparison, but Suh is playing better right now. Though both are pretty bad against the run at this point.

McCoy played a great game against Cleveland, a good game against Carolina, and everything's been mehhh since, except half of the Rams game. He's getting reached too easily and is hesitating too much because of how the 3 tech plays in this defense.

It's going to take him a season or two to get acclimated, but I fully expect him to be an elite player when he does.

Last edited by lowlife : 10-26-2010 at 11:56 PM.
lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote