Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Giants exercise "buy-back" option on QB Manning's contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Eli Manning will be under center for the New York Giants for at least three more years.

The Giants on Monday officially established their long-term commitment to Manning, exercising a "buy-back" option on the quarterback's current contract.

As the top overall pick in the 2004 draft, Manning signed a six-year contract ranging from $45 million to $54 million. The deal, which included a rookie-record $20 million signing bonus, contained an incentive clause that allowed Manning to void the final two years.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was an excellent decision for the Geeeee Men.

Eli is already a good QB and is going to be an excellent one. Glad to see that the Giants recognize that.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Eli is already a good QB and is going to be an excellent one. Glad to see that the Giants recognize that.
I'm surprised this thread wasn't made by you.

This is kind of an obvious move. The Giants aren't going to sit there and let a #1 overall pick Quarterback's contract expire.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i was surprised he didnt start it too.

good decision he a good qb and has more potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Eli Manning?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

He's a decent QB who flashes "very-goodness" for a streak, and then flashes "oh-my-god-what-the-hell-is-he-doingness" for a streak. He just needs consistency, and he'll be a lock for a top 10 QB.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atleast they're staying committed to somebody. They should've let go of Tom Coughlin and got another coach but they made one wise decision

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

How can they sign him for three more years. It's one thing if he an elite quarterback by now. But, as of now, there's no telling how he'll do. The Giants are potentially throwing millions of dollars out the window.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
A-Dub4President
Rookie

A-Dub4President hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Although I'm not an Eli Manning hater by any means, I think that he would be a good candidate for a change of scenery. The Giants seem like they need to rebuild at this point (they're already half way there with the defense). All of the personalities don't work to well, and they could use some more lunch pail type of guys who could come in and get the job done, or a veteran quarterback who's a proven leader. That said, the whole "egotistical Giants" probably seems like more of a problem because of all the scrutiny because of the New York media.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If David Carr got a buy-back that gave his contract 3 more years, then I'm sure that Eli Manning's buy-back was a good deal. I'm sure the move makes financial sense for the Giants. I think it is a smart move and gives the team some sense of continuity going forward.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This move says what Giant fans have been saying for a long time now: The problem isn't Eli Manning.

Whats the problem? Thats a complicated question with lots of answers. The WR core gets no separation, and is aging. The oline is average. The coach runs Air Coryell in the hardest stadium to throw in, he never runs the ball, and never adjusts his playbook, nor his playcalling. We have divas with attitudes...the list goes on and on. But from watching Eli Manning, being an X and O junky, and a diehard Giant fan, I can tell you this: Eli Manning is not the problem, not entirely at least. If I had to point the finger at one guy, its Tom Coughlin. He's the guy who's ruining Eli Manning's potential.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He's got a lot of potential, smart move.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

sup3rk1ng hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This move says what Giant fans have been saying for a long time now: The problem isn't Eli Manning.

Whats the problem? Thats a complicated question with lots of answers. The WR core gets no separation, and is aging. The oline is average. The coach runs Air Coryell in the hardest stadium to throw in, he never runs the ball, and never adjusts his playbook, nor his playcalling. We have divas with attitudes...the list goes on and on. But from watching Eli Manning, being an X and O junky, and a diehard Giant fan, I can tell you this: Eli Manning is not the problem, not entirely at least. If I had to point the finger at one guy, its Tom Coughlin. He's the guy who's ruining Eli Manning's potential.
I agree with you, he's not the problem, but I would like to see him show a little more fire, though. I also agree with you that Coughlin is partly the problem. He contradicts himself with the whole "don't air your dirty laundry to the media", by doing it himself. He put the blame on Eli, which was ridiculous. If he has a problem with Eli's play, he should be telling Eli, not some reporters. He has no control over that lockeroom. My guess is that they'll fire him after this season(if he doesn't make or wiin a playoff game), since theres, potentially, going to be alot of good headcoaches on the market(I think Belichicks on the final year of his contract).
sup3rk1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's a good move by the Giants. I still think Eli will turn into a star very soon.
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli is already a star based on his name and his potential. He has to perform this year, or else he is going to start losing his reputation. Eli does a lot of things well. He throws a good, catchable ball. He can beat teams deep or short. He can make all the throws. He starts of seasons killing everyone. The problem is that he doesn't hold up well under pressure, he will try to make throws that he can't to win games, he doesn't always make the extra read to find the open man, and as the season goes on, his mechanics have become iffy. The last 2 seasons, he has worn down, then his mechanics get messed up, then he struggles to fix them and his production drops. That's a function of poor OLine play and poor coaching.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A report that the Giants have extended quarterback Eli Manning's contract through the 2012 season is not true, according to the team.
-- Bergen Record

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html

Looks like they are going to make him stumble through a season without Tiki before extending him.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I agree. Watching them, I am completely befuddled as to how Coughlin still has a job. That team just screams "poorly coached". All of the stupid penalties, a late season total collapse, that is the coach's fault. No team should go 2-6 the second half after going 6-2 the first. No team should get 11 false starts in one game. They are HORRIBLY coached. I HATE TOM COUGHLIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
A report that the Giants have extended quarterback Eli Manning's contract through the 2012 season is not true, according to the team.
-- Bergen Record

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html

Looks like they are going to make him stumble through a season without Tiki before extending him.
They still extended him, just not in that way.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Joe Montana

He's just an average quarterback. The Giants will not go to any Super Bowl as long as he's the quarterback which is good for the NFC. Does poorly under pressure situation, had too many inconsistent throws, poor decision making on the field. He just doesn't have the qualities of these super bowl quarterbacks like Montana,Elway,and Brady.