Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
WalterFootball.com is a great site for all things football.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Heres his draft for us.

2. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Cornerbacks are seldom taken in the top three, but then again, we said the same thing about defensive tackles prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. Like Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, Patrick Peterson is a special sort of talent that doesn't come around very often.

The Cowboys have issues in their secondary. Mike Jenkins has been often penalized this year, while Terence Newman will be 33 heading into the 2011 NFL season. Peterson would infinitely improve Dallas' defense by erasing one side of the field.

35. Dallas Cowboys: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
New free safety Alan Ball hasn't been a liability thus far, but he hasn't been anything special either. The Cowboys could stand to upgrade this position unless they want receivers like Mike Sims-Walker burning them deep multiple times per game.

66. Dallas Cowboys: Marcus Cannon, G, TCU
Some help for Dallas' front line; Kyle Kosier will be a free agent this March.

What do ya'll think? Looks good to me!!

Wow, I would be oozing excitement if that happened. Then maybe we can get a few solid FA signings, maybe another Guard and one more Safety.

Actually now that I thinka bout it, we would almost HAVE to get an ILB in FA, and probably mid round of the draft. I need 2 look and see who is available to be a FA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 11-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

thank you D, I'm not giving up on him yet. he's a good player.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think anyone wants to "give up" on Scandrick, when you give up on a guy he gets cut. That shouldn't happen, but I'll be damned if he should still be starting in the Nickle just because he had a good rookie season, the NFL doesn't work that way. He needs to be the 4th or 5th CB, and work his way up. I would love PP and another corner to push Scandrick, absolutely no reason for him to be starting, so let's give him another year to see if he gets it together because he's probably been the worst player of any Cowboy this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on Allen Bailey?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I'd be fine with any of the DE's Frailey, Bailey, or Clayborn, and CB's Prince and Peterson.

I don't see any other pick that makes sense since there are no o-lineman. Assuming we have a top 5-10 pick unless kitna goes into God-mode lol.

EDIT: Inside linebacker could've been a darkhorse, but just like o-line there is no prospect worth even a top 15 pick.

It's CB or DE, or trade down in my opinion. I don't see any other way.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
thank you D, I'm not giving up on him yet. he's a good player.
I don't know if he's a good player. I just think he's hard to judge considering the absentee safeties we have.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thoughts on Allen Bailey?
Extremely high potential. Makes plays that make you go wow, but also tends to go invisible at times too. Needs to learn how to better disengage from blockers. His technique needs to be coached up. I don't think he maximizes his weight room strength to game strength. If he had a stronger base, he'd be a Top 15 pick. Right now I see him as a late first/early second guy. If the Giants get him... dayum.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default DE

I don't think drafting a DE this high would make sense. I think we can pick one up at the top of Round 2. I do think we need to make or take an impact top 5 players if we can. At the same time...we could trade down a bit and still pick a top CB in the top Top 10. I think teams will shy away from a CB in the Top 5..somebody will want to move up to get a QB.......
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Our game vs. the Lions in 3 weeks could be the Patrick Peterson bowl..

Who would'a thunk it?!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I actually think we have the best shot of having the #1 pick. Buffalo is playing good football just losing to tough opponents. There going to win more games than us. I dont see us winning another game based on our schedule. If we lose out I dont see Jerry asking Romo to return and risk another injury for nothing. The question then becomes if Andrew Luck is on the board do you pass on him. I know I dont I always believe in taking the best player especially at the top of the draft and Andrew Luck is the best qb prospect in the last 10 years. He's got it all.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
I actually think we have the best shot of having the #1 pick. Buffalo is playing good football just losing to tough opponents. There going to win more games than us. I dont see us winning another game based on our schedule. If we lose out I dont see Jerry asking Romo to return and risk another injury for nothing. The question then becomes if Andrew Luck is on the board do you pass on him. I know I dont I always believe in taking the best player especially at the top of the draft and Andrew Luck is the best qb prospect in the last 10 years. He's got it all.
We don't want to have the #1 pick. You can't even trade out of it and get good value. I don't want to give $60M to someone with that pick.

...and as for Luck. I'm not a fan. That's not to say he won't be good. I just don't see an elite prospect in him.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
We don't want to have the #1 pick. You can't even trade out of it and get good value. I don't want to give $60M to someone with that pick.

...and as for Luck. I'm not a fan. That's not to say he won't be good. I just don't see an elite prospect in him.
This will probably change with the new bargaining agreement. Nobody wants to pay rookies that kind of money anymore.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
This will probably change with the new bargaining agreement. Nobody wants to pay rookies that kind of money anymore.
True. But Luck does nothing to improve this team.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Extremely high potential. Makes plays that make you go wow, but also tends to go invisible at times too. Needs to learn how to better disengage from blockers. His technique needs to be coached up. I don't think he maximizes his weight room strength to game strength. If he had a stronger base, he'd be a Top 15 pick. Right now I see him as a late first/early second guy. If the Giants get him... dayum.
He kind of reminds me of JPP.

I doubt we get him, unless we'd try to convert him to UT, but even then, I don't think he'd be a good fit unless he can bulk up to 290 lbs.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Is runningback an option?

Edit: Ingram is an emmitt clone.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Is runningback an option?

Edit: Ingram is an emmitt clone.
No, it isn't. Emmitt was Emmitt because of the OL.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I agree. Not debating the player, just the pick. #1 might not be as bad as it normally would be and might be easier to trade due to the rookie cap.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Maybe not immediately but drafting for the immediate next year is what gets you in trouble and why we have no depth on the offensive line or why we dont have much depth throughout our roster. I take the best player overall. We had a hard time finding a qb after Troy left and I dont anticipate us picking here again. I take Luck and groom him for 2 years and trade Romo. And have a probowl caliber qb for the next 15 years. I think that highly of him as do many others. Here is what a scout said on Luck.

Quote:
That #1 is unanimously Stanford’s Andrew Luck at this point. Luck was the subject of a long discussion about pedigree and coaching and how QBs benefit from those. His father was a NFL QB and he’s coached at Stanford by former NFL QB Jim Harbaugh--and it shows. “Intangibles” is a huge buzz word and I heard it at least 10 times in reference to what separates Luck from everyone else. The guy just has “it” to go with his enormous physical tool set.

As one scout noted, “He’s better than (Sam) Bradford, he’s better than (Matt) Stafford, he’s better than (Mark) Sanchez already. I’m talking he could start today over any of those guys on their teams.”

I disagree with that sentiment, but I share his bullishness on Luck. I will likely grade him out higher than any QB in the seven years I’ve scouted, and I won’t be alone in doing so.
Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_featu...#ixzz14XVMTOGS

Last edited by romo4prez415 : 11-06-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
Maybe not immediately but drafting the immediate next year is what gets you in trouble and why we have no depth on the offensive line. I take the best player overall. We had a hard time finding a qb after Troy left and I dont anticipate us picking here again. I take Luck and groom him for 2 years and trade Romo.
Well, I never thought Luck was the best player overall. He's mostly there because the QB position is so highly valued. The best overall player is Patrick Peterson.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

Quote:
Well, I never thought Luck was the best player overall. He's mostly there because the QB position is so highly valued. The best overall player is Patrick Peterson.
Check my post on what the scouts said. And I beg to differ. The true #1 type of WR he went up against in AJ Green he got lit up. His technique is only average as he relies on his athletcism too much.Terrific prospect but not as polished as you'd like for someone who has started 3 years out corner. The converted corner from running back Prince is much more polished than him and thats concerning for me (questions about ability to learn or work ethic for the marginal technique).
Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Dude Jerry Jones has put his cards in Romo. The kid is only 30, and he is still full of juice.

Were not taking a QB, bro.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well he'll face Jones from alabama today...turn on your TV's and do some self-scouting!

On another note read up on some Bunting today and found two peices I like.

Quote:
Small schooler is dominant
Watching the Villanova/Richmond matchup this weekend was fun on a couple levels because when you get these two teams together the overall talent level is good enough to definitely compete and even beat a fair amount of the FBS teams that are out there. But, from an NFL prospect type view, there is also one guy who is really starting to shine above the rest and that’s ‘Nova OG Benjamin Ijalana. Ijalana is a big, 6-4, 320-pound kid who can bend and block with leverage in the run game as well as sit into his stance and anchor vs. the pass. However, he really stood out on the move to me this weekend when asked to pull, get out to the second level as he absolutely demolished downhill attacking defenders with a compact punch and powerful leg drive. But, like any small-school prospect, he is raw, especially as a pass blocker and has a tendency to simply stand upright off the snap, extend his long arms and lock out. However, he’s a good enough athlete to certainly be a player in the NFL — I see him more as a guard — as he still has a lot of upside to his game. His athleticism, physical skill set and willingness to finish blocks and dominate are all NFL-worthy attributes and he looks like a dirty starter (year two starter) at the next level to me at this stage.
And talked about him last year
Quote:
I’ve been on the Jaiquawn Jarrett bandwagon ever since I first saw the Temple safety as a sophomore back in 2008. At 6-0, 197 pounds, he plays with impressive body control and balance in his drop, is fluid when asked to get in and out of his breaks and does a really nice job playing the football in the deep half of the field. Overall, he looked liked one of the cleanest athletes in space in the safety class and showed enough to warrant a potential starter grade based off his summer tape. However, he looks to have improved his game even further this season answering two big questions I had about him coming into the year.

1. Can he improve as a tackler?
2. Can he improve his overall feel in zone coverage recognizing routes and getting earlier jumps on the football?

And so far up to this point the answer has been yes on both counts. He looks more physical attacking downhill in the run game, as he takes good angles, sees what he hits and has displayed a little more thump as a wrap-up guy. And when asked to play in zone, he’s doing a much better job feeling routes develop around him and quickly closing on the football. Now, the one knock on him is that he isn’t the most explosive of straight-line athletes and lacks idea make-up range, which is true, as he doesn’t look like a guy who will run in the low 4.4 range. However, I certainly think he is fast enough because of his ability to cleanly redirect and change directions to make plays
Nice developmental prospect and like Bunting probably my favorite safety prospect when I watch on the field.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Thule, are you on the Peterson bandwagon?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

Quote:
Dude Jerry Jones has put his cards in Romo. The kid is only 30, and he is still full of juice.

Were not taking a QB, bro.
I clearly understand. I'm just saying what I'd do. Of course an incompetent owner is going to trade down getting bad value or not take the best player and getting a lesser player in a top heavy draft. Romo will be 31 next season and is by no means an elite player. Top 10 but not elite. I think you draft Luck and then you get hands on coaching for this player and determine if he is a commodity or that makes Romo a commodity. I would rather take the best available player rather than be scared away because of some history of misses and find out we should have taken him in the first place. Because if this kid is the next Aikman as some say, we will have to watch that for years saying what if. You go with talent regardless of position or what you have on the team. If he is the hands down best player in the draft you pick him. Then sort it out. And my opinion is he's best qb prospect in the last 10 years so if he's on the board you take him.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

I'm sorry. There is no way Peterson is the #1 prospect in the draft. After watching today. Still same bad technique. Prince is the better corner back Peterson is the better athlete.