Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Luck has had hype since the beginning of the season, so THERE!

Seriously, Ricky America has been awesome this year.
So one guy has been the beneficiary of hype and the other guy (with near identical numbers) has been awesome this year. OK.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
So one guy has been the beneficiary of hype and the other guy (with near identical numbers) has been awesome this year. OK.
Right, because I totally said Luck was undeserving of hype.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stanzi has the best improvement arc in his career of any major program QB today, & he played against arguably tougher defenses than Luck.

Luck is however the better player, favorite for the #1 overall pick if he declares according to most of the mocks including McShay's today on ESPN.

Everybody has Luck going to Buffalo. Where do you see Newton going? Carolina?

Last edited by LizardState : 11-10-2010 at 03:37 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Absolutely agreed. Luck is an outstanding QB and deserves all the hype. But his production isn't all that much different than Stanzi's, outside of his better rushing statistics really.

As of right now, I'd give it to James as well if I were a Heisman voter. The Newton fiasco is too risky as an unwanted PR mess down the line, especially after seemingly just getting past the Bush fiasco.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right, because I totally said Luck was undeserving of hype.
You're backtracking there because you made it sound like the only reason Luck was in the conversation was because of hype.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Absolutely agreed. Luck is an outstanding QB and deserves all the hype. But his production isn't all that much different than Stanzi's, outside of his better rushing statistics really.

As of right now, I'd give it to James as well if I were a Heisman voter. The Newton fiasco is too risky as an unwanted PR mess down the line, especially after seemingly just getting past the Bush fiasco.
I wouldnt give it to James because i could gain yardage in that offense, take him out of that lineup and i'm not sure they arent still undefeated. Without Luck (or Ricky for that matter) their teams are average at best.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Where do you see Newton going?
The 2nd round.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
The 2nd round.
My guess is federal prison.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
before I read your post I wanted to make a post that read:

my guess is hell

in reply to the same post

Saints 2014 draft

1st: Jason Verrett
2nd: Donte Moncrief
3rd: Jimmy Ward
4th: JaWuan James
5th: Dri Archer
6th: Gabe Ikard
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're backtracking there because you made it sound like the only reason Luck was in the conversation was because of hype.
Can you point out where I said that? I want the exact quote, verbatim, word-for-word where I said that the only reason Luck was in the conversation was due to hype. My response was to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Just for argument's sake, what makes Luck's season better than Ricky Stanzi's?
So no, I'm not backtracking. The reason why Luck has received more attention is because people knew more of him and heard about him more before the season than Stanzi.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you would stop attempting to attribute things to me that I never said. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Sounds to me that his dad should be the one heading to the shed for awhile.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True. But the joke wouldn't have worked as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:20 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Newton's father: He chose Auburn b/c "the $ was too much"

Quote:
True, still no word on the NCAA looking into his father's or his father's churches' financial rcds. Sounds like Rev. Dad was the bagman here & the beneficiary of any $ paid for Newton's services with these improvements recently made to at least one of his 5 churches that has suddenly been brought up to code. That alone has raised suspicions.

Chizik has done nothing but play to the crowd in the early media inquiries, refusing to discuss the alleged price paid, changing the subject when questioned to Newton's current eligibility, & now he's refusing to discuss anything other than the upcoming UGA game.

I can't believe Auburn was so stupid as to pay for this guy in this day & age of media & NCAA scrutiny, or take him with his track record from Florida & all the clouds of suspicion coming from Kenny Rogers & Mississippi St. The cheating, as he was caught 3 times, & the stolen laptop in his possession then thrown out the window with the cops coming are public records, note that he's never denied them b/c he can't. I guess they really were thatdesperate to win.

Also hard to believe the Newtons were dumb enough to tell media like Jim Rome during interviews that my "next decision will be a business one" + their phone conversations with Mississippi St. saying his college choice would be p/o a pay for play plan per the Joe Schad articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5790626

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

Have they never hear of tape recorded conversations?

This genie is out of the bottle -- I think it has already cost Newton the Heisman, even if he wins the vote count b/c with the NCAA investigation still ongoing I don't think the Heisman committee will allow a highly profiled ceremony of handing him the trophy, all they could do in that case I guess is declare him ineligible for the trophy alone, not count his votes or simply not invite Newton, they can't cancel the whole ceremony.

And if proven that there were payments made, it could cost Auburn the wins where he played as it cost USC those with Reggie Bush. And Chizik would almost surely lose his job, the buck stops there.

Last edited by LizardState : 11-11-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Quote:
Maybe. However, rivals in the SEC love dropping the bomb on other programs.
See Fulmer, Tennessee. Nobody pointed his fat fingers like Jugbutt Fulmer..... how did that work out for his career? Somewhat career-limiting? What's that saying about the 3 fingers pointing back at the pointer?

And we all know other conferences don't have teams who dime their opponents on infractions :- (

Quote:
The only thing surprising out of all of this is that Saban underbid.
3 QBs on his roster & 2 more including Star Jackson, the #1-ranked from HS who took early entry, signed up in waiting.... pls.

Last edited by LizardState : 11-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
See Fulmer, Tennessee. Nobody pointed his fat fingers like Jugbutt Fulmer..... how did that work out for his career? Somewhat career-limiting? What's that saying about the 3 fingers pointing back at the pointer?

And we all know other conferences don't have teams who dime their opponents on infractions :- (
Phat Phil is such a little slimeball. I am so glad he is gone.

It happens in other conferences, just nowhere near this rate and craziness. It's all out mud slinging in the SEC. Crazy.

Oh, for instance, Bruce Pearl turned in Illinois for recruiting violations back in the day when he was an assistant at Iowa. Funny that he's in the SEC now.

Quote:
3 QBs on his roster & 2 more including Star Jackson, the #1-ranked from HS who took early entry, signed up in waiting.... pls.
That was a gratuitous shot at Saban. Sorry. Not a fan of his oversigning tactics. If he thought Cam was great, he would have cut one of the 3 QBs.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
If he thought Cam was great, he would have cut one of the 3 QBs.
HEY, HEY, HEY! That's medical scholarship to you, Buster.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
HEY, HEY, HEY! That's medical scholarship to you, Buster.
I thought it was violation of team rules? :)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup, like I said earlier in this thread, the SEC is made up of a bunch of 15 year old high school girls tattling on each other and trying to **** each other over.

Bunch of *****.

I think it's fairly obvious what the solution to this whole thing is. You've got to let these players take out loans from banks. Right now they can't, because there's a murky grey area of having to prove they didn't receive the loan as a result of preferential treatment or being an athlete. But that should be the entire point: they'd be taking out a loan on themselves, which ANY STUDENT CAN DO.

The whole system is just so convoluted and stupid.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 11-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Yup, like I said earlier in this thread, the SEC is made up of a bunch of 15 year old high school girls tattling on each other and trying to **** each other over.

Bunch of *****.

I think it's fairly obvious what the solution to this whole thing is. You've got to let these players take out loans from banks. Right now they can't, because there's a murky grey area of having to prove they didn't receive the loan as a result of preferential treatment or being an athlete. But that should be the entire point: they'd be taking out a loan on themselves, which ANY STUDENT CAN DO.

The whole system is just so convoluted and stupid.
There should be some sort of scholarship vs paid route. Most players will still be scholarship players, but the superstars should be allowed to opt out of the scholly in exchange for 3rd party payment.

I see no problem with this, as it already exists, it's just a lot shadier.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There should be some sort of scholarship vs paid route. Most players will still be scholarship players, but the superstars should be allowed to opt out of the scholly in exchange for 3rd party payment.

Other than it being illegal, violating Title IX, and other issues, no problem at all.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Other than it being illegal, violating Title IX, and other issues, no problem at all.
Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.
You're talking about an industry where most of the schools are losing money, even BCS schools.

What defines a "superstar"? There are schools with substantially bigger and wealthier sets of boosters, so the ones without them are just boned?

This creates far more problems than it solves.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:

So the so called superstars have to then pay their own tuition? I think the system is fine the way it is as it works for 99% of the athletes out there. I dont think you change the rules for a few cheaters.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.
Luck and Stanzi, who both have better passing numbers than Newton, are supposed to feel guilty, i dont think so.