Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Potential Draft Targets

So yeah, it's middle of the season. I think we have as good of an idea as we will have about where and who this football team is this year at this point, so it's probably a good time to start thinking about how this entire draft thing is going to shake out in April. Putting together a list of guys I think we could draft and could be a good fit in our system, as well as give a bit of insight I've gathered on them from watching college games/gathering information. I'll probably fill this up over time, but for today I'll just do the wide receivers who I think warrant a first round grade for us.

Needs on offense(prioritized);
WR, OL, RB

Wide Receivers;

AJ Green, JR, Georgia
The ideal option to replace Randy Moss' production and presence. Tall, rangy, athletic target. His speed is a bit overrated by some here. I think he's a mid 4.4 to low 4.5 guy in terms of 40 yard dash speed, but he has excellent hands and the ability to fight for the ball in the air. He's the type of guy who can go vertical on you, but he's also not bad going across the middle. That might change a bit when he starts taking NFL hits, but he's still capable of being a complete receiver. He compares favorably to Braylon Edwards.

Julio Jones, JR, Alabama
The other half of the talented SEC receivers. His main strength is his body. He's athletic and built like a tank. Rare combination of power, speed, and strength for the position. He could probably play runningback if he was asked to because he's just built so solidly. He's rawer as a receiver than Green is, but has just as much ability. His hands run hot and cold at time and he doesn't have the head for the game that you like to see, but he does so many things well that it makes up for it a bit. His physique and toughness allow him to be a complete receiver, maintaining the threat to be vertical target and letting him play like a possession receiver and pick up big time yards after the catch too. If he can put everything together, he has the potential to be a lot like Andre Johnson in the NFL.

Jonathan Baldwin, JR, Pitt
Massive target with massive upside. Probably the fastest out of all of the stellar junior receivers as well as being the biggest. He does not play up to his size in a lot of ways though. He runs poor routes and show an unwillingness to use the middle of the field. His long legs and heavy frame don't lend themselves well to being quick in space either. The thing he does do well, however, is stretch the field. He's nearly impossible to cover when the ball is thrown deep. He has big, strong hands and long arms that he uses to get the ball before smaller defensive backs have a chance to get to it. He'll win the jump ball almost every time and will demand double coverage just to get traffic in his face at times. He can also flatout run by guys with his speed. He's taken a step backwards this year in terms of production, but honestly, he's getting not only poor quarterback play, but quarterback play that doesn't cater to what he does well. He may well drop because of that lack of production, which makes him an attractive guy to snag in the mid first round. He reminds me a lot of Vincent Jackson.

Second Round WR's;
Michael Floyd
Leonard Hankerson
Niles Paul

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 11-14-2010 at 09:28 AM.
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote