Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What is Larry Fitzgerald worth to you?

I think without question the guy is a top 3 WR in the NFL, though the Cardinals QB situation hasn't helped him this year. He's still young and in his prime (age 27), and after next season, his contract is up.

And perhaps most interestingly, it seems as though part of his contract states that the team cannot use the franchise or transition tag on him. (About halfway down the page here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ek-12-mailbag/ )

So it likely means that if the Cardinals want any kind of compensation for him, they need to trade him soon...likely this offseason. Given the uncertainty of their QB situation, it would be very unlikely that they'd be able to resign him, and even if they could, it would likely be very expensive for them to do so. (I believe his current contract pays him ~$10 million a season on average...that's borderline QB money.)

So how do you see this being resolved? Where do you think he might go? What will the compensation be for him?

I'd personally love to have him on my Bears, and I would have no issue with it if we sent two first round picks to Arizona for him (assuming we sign him long term.) Sure, we need help on the offensive line, but if we picked up a couple of average FA's and spent our remaining picks on a few young guys, we could cobble something together better than what we've got this year at least. And he'd be the perfect type of WR for Jay Cutler. His best years were when he had Brandon Marshall to hock the ball up to...just get it near him and he'll use his size and ability to go up and get it. Fitz would be just that kind of WR. He'd also draw coverage away from our speedier playmakers like Knox and Hester and open things up for them as our #2 and #3 type of guys.

Two years ago, I would have said there was no way in hell it would happen...but since then, as JA and Lovie were fighting for their jobs, we sent first rounders out for Cutler and gave Peppers a big money deal....so nothing is out of the question.

Would we do it for a WR? Could we even afford Fitz if (when) the salary cap returns? I don't know....but I'd love to look into it.

So where else do you think he might end up? What would you give up for a top 3 WR in the league still in his prime?