Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What is Larry Fitzgerald worth to you?

I think without question the guy is a top 3 WR in the NFL, though the Cardinals QB situation hasn't helped him this year. He's still young and in his prime (age 27), and after next season, his contract is up.

And perhaps most interestingly, it seems as though part of his contract states that the team cannot use the franchise or transition tag on him. (About halfway down the page here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ek-12-mailbag/ )

So it likely means that if the Cardinals want any kind of compensation for him, they need to trade him soon...likely this offseason. Given the uncertainty of their QB situation, it would be very unlikely that they'd be able to resign him, and even if they could, it would likely be very expensive for them to do so. (I believe his current contract pays him ~$10 million a season on average...that's borderline QB money.)

So how do you see this being resolved? Where do you think he might go? What will the compensation be for him?

I'd personally love to have him on my Bears, and I would have no issue with it if we sent two first round picks to Arizona for him (assuming we sign him long term.) Sure, we need help on the offensive line, but if we picked up a couple of average FA's and spent our remaining picks on a few young guys, we could cobble something together better than what we've got this year at least. And he'd be the perfect type of WR for Jay Cutler. His best years were when he had Brandon Marshall to hock the ball up to...just get it near him and he'll use his size and ability to go up and get it. Fitz would be just that kind of WR. He'd also draw coverage away from our speedier playmakers like Knox and Hester and open things up for them as our #2 and #3 type of guys.

Two years ago, I would have said there was no way in hell it would happen...but since then, as JA and Lovie were fighting for their jobs, we sent first rounders out for Cutler and gave Peppers a big money deal....so nothing is out of the question.

Would we do it for a WR? Could we even afford Fitz if (when) the salary cap returns? I don't know....but I'd love to look into it.

So where else do you think he might end up? What would you give up for a top 3 WR in the league still in his prime?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two teams that instantly come to mind are St Louis and New England. I doubt Arizona would trade in their division. The Patriots have been accumulating picks for the last five years now, if they were ever to make a big splash additions Larry Fitzgerald would be the perfect Patriot.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Two teams that instantly come to mind are St Louis and New England. I doubt Arizona would trade in their division. The Patriots have been accumulating picks for the last five years now, if they were ever to make a big splash additions Larry Fitzgerald would be the perfect Patriot.
That would be a badass fit. He seems to have none of the character issues that plague other top WRs, which is perfect for the Pats. Couple him with Brady and the other elite weapons on that offense and they'd be back to 16-0 form...offensively at least....with enough picks still leftover after the presumed trade to get younger on the o-line and defense.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to get Fitz here in NE. I'd probably give up a first and a second or third rounder for him, but not two firsts. That's Qb compensation. Fitz is a beast though. He might have 4-5 productive years left in him. Fitz would indeed be a perfect fit in NE. Putting him on the same team as Brady and BB would almost be like cheating lol. Our first rounder (not Oaklands) and Vikes' tird rounder would be fair compensation imo, might even be a little expensive for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'd love to get Fitz here in NE. I'd probably give up a first and a second or third rounder for him, but not two firsts. That's Qb compensation. Fitz is a beast though. He might have 4-5 productive years left in him. Fitz would indeed be a perfect fit in NE. Putting him on the same team as Brady and BB would almost be like cheating lol. Our first rounder (not Oaklands) and Vikes' tird rounder would be fair compensation imo, might even be a little expensive for my taste.
Brandon Marshall went for two 2nds iirc...and Anquan Boldin for 3rd and 4th round picks.

Fitz doesn't have the same character concerns as Marshall, and is younger and overall better than Boldin, so he should attract more than either.

Whatever it is is definitely going to include one first. I can't imagine it not. And depending on any bidding wars that break out, it could get driven up. That is where I got my two 1sts figure from. If there isn't much of a trade market, I think a 1st and a 3rd would be reasonable.

But who knows...it could surprise us. Teams always seem to place lower value on WRs, so it'll be tough to predict.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give up at least 3 picks. I'd definitely go 1st, 3rd, and 4th. He's an amazing receiver and id love to see him as a Steeler.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give up our first and then some, even though a receiver isn't what I'd want our first spent on, it would be cool if it were Fitzgerald.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see him in NE. Fitz >>> Top WRs in this draft class.
Rather use that first rounder on a top 2 WR than on a top 5 potential
Plus, the one position the Pats don't seem to be able to develop is WR
so even if we did get a top WR in the upcoming draft, I doubt he'd reach his potential with us

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I'd love to see him in NE. Fitz >>> Top WRs in this draft class.
Rather use that first rounder on a top 2 WR than on a top 5 potential
Plus, the one position the Pats don't seem to be able to develop is WR
so even if we did get a top WR in the upcoming draft, I doubt he'd reach his potential with us
I'm surprised more teams don't think this way when it comes to available players. If you're going to draft someone at that position anyway, why not spend the pick on someone proven rather than an unknown?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I would love for the Saints to somehow nab him. Brees + Fitz was dynamic in the Pro-Bowl a few years back.. I can only dream of how our Offense would be with him added to the lineup.

Plus Brees has never had a truly Elite top 5 WR in his career... he has Colston who's considered a very good big bodied receiver but not one of the Elite guys.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Man I would love for the Saints to somehow nab him. Brees + Fitz was dynamic in the Pro-Bowl a few years back.. I can only dream of how our Offense would be with him added to the lineup.

Plus Brees has never had a truly Elite top 5 WR in his career... he has Colston who's considered very good big bodied receiver but not one of the Elite guys.
I hate to burst your bubble but I can't see the Saints trading the picks required for another WR. He'd be better than anyone you have, but as a collective, your WR corps is one of the best in the league....use those picks to sure up your defense.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but I can't see the Saints trading the picks required for another WR. He'd be better than anyone you have, but as a collective, your WR corps is one of the best in the league....use those picks to sure up your defense.
I'd rather them to keep building the Defense but if an opportunity came up to get Fitz I'd say you have to jump on it.

also early on in the season, and in our 2 worst losses this season the Offense was the main problem that contributed to those losses, and the Defense was keeping us in games.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 AM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There has already been talk in KC about getting Fitz. 2 weeks ago, in the time leading up to the Cardinals game here at Arrowhead, both Fitz and Haley were asked about the situation. Haley could really comment w/o "tampering", but he said he loves Fitz and thinks the world of him. When asked he would enjoy playing for Haley again, Fitz replied definitely. He gave Haley a lot of praise and credit for the player he has turned into. After the game, DBowe, Haley and Fitz looked for each other and took a special pic together. This is the KC future!

Bowe and Fitz work out together in the off season. Bowe has helped out at Fitz's Football Kid Camp. Bowe would also play the role of Boldin pretty damn well, if I do say so myself. He would be a perfect compliment to Fitz and thrive as the #2 WR. Both are extremely good run blockers and adding a player of Fitz caliber will make this offense very difficult to stop.

The fit in KC is perfect. So, now it's a matter of the compensation Arizona is looking for and if Pioli would be willing to pay it. Haley is waiting for him in his office as soon as the season is over, telling Pioli how important Fitz is. We were probably going to use a 1st round pick on a WR that isn't as developed or ready for the big time as Fitz. We already know his work ethic and fit into our system would be as smooth as possible. I believe Haley will can convince Pioli to try and make a deal. Plus, Pioli has seen first hand how much of an impact trading for a top WR can make, Moss. I would give up the Chiefs 2011 1st and 5th and a 2012 2nd or 3rd. You know, if the Card came at me and said Fitz was mine for 2 1st and they were going to take nothing less, I would still probably do that deal. I just think he could be so huge for KC and the Chiefs. We are in 1st place in our division going in week 12. We are ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned. Adding Ftiz has the chance of making us a legit SB contenders.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tom Brady throwing to a prime Larry Fitzgerald with the rest of the pieces the Patriots have on offense? If that happens then the NFL might as well just cancel the season and give the Patriots the Super Bowl.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Tom Brady throwing to a prime Larry Fitzgerald with the rest of the pieces the Patriots have on offense? If that happens then the NFL might as well just cancel the season and give the Patriots the Super Bowl.
I think they almost did that once before, but the the Giants went and said "NO!!!"
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, I think the Chiefs would be most likely if they feel that is the missing piece. Would be tough for the Cardinals to part with him as well.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Word on the street is that the NFL IS canceling the season...

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Yes, I think the Chiefs would be most likely if they feel that is the missing piece. Would be tough for the Cardinals to part with him as well.
Well, from what I've read, they can't franchise him, and getting to agree to a long term deal next year would be very difficult unless they suddenly find a miracle solution at QB.

So it's trade him for what you can get, or let him walk and, at best, get a 3rd round comp pick a year later....
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a mid 1st and 3rd would get it done.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever it takes. If he hits the trade market, we have no excuses for not making a deal for him before the draft/during. Wide receiver is our number one need to keep this offense from regressing and Fitz is one of the best.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
He's already said he would love to play for Haley again and the Chiefs are on the rise. Cassel has played better than anyone is giving him credit for. 18TDs 4 INTs 2,074 YDs 96.2 QB Rating (i hate that stat). He has done well and adding Fitz would only make him look better. Plus, we have plenty of cap space. He would definitely sign. $$$ talks and $hit walks.
If the Patriots are indeed interested, they'll be your biggest competition I think. They have a bigger stockpile of draft picks for ammunition and Fitz would probably realize that in that offense, he could potentially threaten the marks Randy Moss set a few years ago with the same team while immediately competing for a Superbowl.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:27 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, Fitz is probably "worth" more to us than any other team in the league. We have a roster full of complimentary receivers who are very, very good at being #2 and #3 options, but lack the ability to beat people in man situations and when the coverage is dictated towards them. Teams that clog the middle of the field and shut down the short passing lanes give us a real hard time. With a true number one guy, all of that becomes open again and our offense gets to stay efficient and safe, unlike the Moss days where his game was to chuck up a deep ball three times a game and hope for the best. He's in some ways, a better fit for this team than Moss was.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats are gunna trade for Larry Fitzgerald and sign DeAngelo Williams and forcefully rape the rest of the NFL from behind for the next 7 or 8 years.

With no lube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
The Pats are gunna trade for Larry Fitzgerald and sign DeAngelo Williams and forcefully rape the rest of the NFL from behind for the next 7 or 8 years.

With no lube.
They don't even need DeAngelo to do that. They have the almight Dannyzzz Woodheadzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Don't think the Pats would spend the pick necessary to trade for Fitz.

Follow Me on Twitter!