Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Gruden says Commisioner should change the rules on...

...Not allowing an NFC West team into the playoffs if they finish below .500.

I am in total agreement. Its absolutely awful right now that teams like the Packers, Bucs, and even the Redskins all deserve to be in the playoffs over the winner of that division. The way things are turning out, the winner could be 7-9 with the way these teams are playing. I mean, the Niners are 3-7 and still in the hunt.

What's your take?
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe on giving them a home game in the playoffs. But no playoff spot at all: I don't think so.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should keep the automatic playoff spot for division winners, just seed the teams by their record and it won't be a problem.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They will never do that.

And there is a good chance St. Louis or Seattle goes at least 3-2 or SF goes 4-1 going forward because they all play each other.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
...Not allowing an NFC West team into the playoffs if they finish below .500.

I am in total agreement. Its absolutely awful right now that teams like the Packers, Bucs, and even the Redskins all deserve to be in the playoffs over the winner of that division. The way things are turning out, the winner could be 7-9 with the way these teams are playing. I mean, the Niners are 3-7 and still in the hunt.

What's your take?
the redskins dont deserve to be in the playoffs this year no matter how many games teams in the NFC west win.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
They should keep the automatic playoff spot for division winners, just seed the teams by their record and it won't be a problem.
What about when a team like GB, who is a Super Bowl Contender in my Opinion, is outside at 7-4. Do you think a 7-9 or 8-8 team like the Seahawks, Niners, Cardinals, or Rams should play in the post season over them? Come on. I thought the playoffs are supposed to be for the best teams. Clearly, the teams in the NFC West are not playoff quality.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winning the division shouldn't count for seeding. That should be based on W/L. Winning the division should always get you into the playoffs though, regardless of how bad the NFC West is right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have a team that is probably between 60 and 65% wins instead of a team that is below 50% wins. That's just embarrassing. If you can't win an abysmal division with a winning record, you don't belong in the playoffs.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
What about when a team like GB, who is a Super Bowl Contender in my Opinion, is outside at 7-4. Do you think a 7-9 or 8-8 team like the Seahawks, Niners, Cardinals, or Rams should play in the post season over them? Come on. I thought the playoffs are supposed to be for the best teams. Clearly, the teams in the NFC West are not playoff quality.
Trying to judge the strength of schedule is too hard in the NFL as no 2 teams play the same opposition each year. There is no fair way to judge who the best teams are (would you like a bcs system for the NFL), so the division concept works.

It is really quite simple, if you arent the best team in your division, then you shouldnt be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there would be no point in having a division then
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention that I don't want the NFL to become like others sports (ie the NBA) where division games and rivalries aren't particularly important. With an expanded schedule and no guaranteed playoff spot for division winners, you'd start to dilute that.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't matter. It has never happened before. No team finishing 7-9 or worse has ever won their division and made the playoffs. There have been some really bad teams and divisions that have played and no one has had it happen. Sure, it could happen this year, but it could have happened any other year and it hasn't. Most likely at least 1 team will finish 8-8. Any team at or above .500 and wins their division deserves a playoff game.

Now, the argument for the seeding and receiving a home playoff game is crap. Seeding should be based upon win loss record.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. For instance, let the Saints host the Rams. Plus, it could be a very embarassing loss for the NFC west team at home. So jut let it happen on the road. But, yeah give all the division winners a playoff spot.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

or they could just leave it as is and if you don't like it, Roger Goodell will tell you to shove it and find another source of football.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Call me crazy but I dont see a problem with the way it is. If you dont win your division, then you go on the road. Dont like it, then win your ******* division.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Call me crazy but I dont see a problem with the way it is. If you dont win your division, then you go on the road. Dont like it, then win your ******* division.
I am cool with that too. I, obviously love the fact all the divisons get a playoff spot. I understand Bucs fans and Packer fans beefs this year, I do. But one year the NFC South or NFC North will stink and their champ will be awful and the NFC West will be a power. It happens....
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
I am cool with that too. I, obviously love the fact all the divisons get a playoff spot. I understand Bucs fans and Packer fans beefs this year, I do. But one year the NFC South or NFC North will stink and their champ will be awful and the NFC West will be a power. It happens....
whoa whoa whoa, foresight? what the **** kind of forum do you think this is?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe in the Pro-Bowl, they can take one of the AFC's QBs and put him on the NFC Roster, because it's not fair that the best QBs are in the AFC.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
I dont understand it, because people keep ignoring strength of schedule. How can anyone except a Bucs fan think they deserve to be in the playoffs as of right now? They are third in their division, and they have lost to every team they have played that is a playoff team. The steelers, ravens, saints and falcons are all playoff teams, and they beat the Bucs. The Bucs wins have come against extremely soft teams. Crying and moaning about deserving to be in the playoffs when you can beat anyone worth a **** is just sour grapes IMO.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should rely on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the Super Bowl.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
They should rely on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the Super Bowl.
I really hope u are joking.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really hope u are joking.
I'm not. They could call it the Super Bowl Championship Series. It would be based on a complicated mathematical formula, so there is no way anything could go wrong.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if you dont want bad teams winning divisions then just have two divisions: Afc and NFC and rank according to record. Thats the only way around the current system, which usually works pretty well.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Winning the division shouldn't count for seeding. That should be based on W/L. Winning the division should always get you into the playoffs though, regardless of how bad the NFC West is right now.
This..............

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would make it awfully complicated, and you'd have fans complaining that their team wasn't chosen. There's a strong case for it, but I think they keep it.