Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I'm a firm believer that no one has beat the Packers this year but themselves. Am I being a homer here? I don't know, maybe? But, has anyone non biased watched every Packers' loss?

Sure, you could say that about every team and partially get away with it but having watched every Green Bay game this year, it's pretty obvious. We don't run the ball with our power back on short downs. We abandon our run game too quickly and force it in the play call to try to set something up down the line. Everything seemed out of place in Atlanta. Halfway through the second quarter, I'm sure every Packers' fan had the same feeling, and it wasn't a good one. We see how we play when we lose and it shows early and often.
The Packers big problem is they cant run the ball. I love Rodgers, i think hes elite, all the tools in the world just occassionally holds onto the ball too long. The defense is good with a slightly shakey secondary at times but if Clay can be a beast in the pass rush that helps a lot. I thought they shouldve won in all their losses but the lack of a run game is troubling as it allows teams to let their pass rushers loose like peppers when they played chicago. Theyd be in the top bracket too if they didnt keep finding ways to lose games. maybe their luck will change we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
The Ravens are at a distinct disadvantage offensively though. Because clearly Cam Cameron thinks since they have a first round QB then they need to throw the ball 70% of the time instead of handing it off to their beast of a RB.
This is why its hard to take them seriously. Idk about flacco, not a huge fan, but either way they have the potential for a very good running game but they never use it and i dont know why its rediculous. Theyre built to be a good playoff team with the run game and if the D holds up, but i wonder if cameron sabotages them, itd be a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I've never considered Reggie Wayne a top 5 WR... EVER. He runs the same 5 routes all day long and gets punked in the playoffs. He's a weak, soft player that has inflated stats due to a spread system and one of the all-time great QBs to ever play. That QB can get Blair White in the end zone 3 times in 2 weeks and make a terrible player like Pierre "Brick Hands" Garcon a name most fans know. Wayne's still a good player and he still runs good routes, but he's nothing special. Never has been. Just benefited from a perfect scheme and a great QB. He's nowhere close to the same kind of player Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson are, yet he has similar stats (in some cases even better stats) than the two of them. He's overrated, but it's not like this is his first year where he's been bullied or shutdown from time-to-time.
Agreed with all of the above. I never though of him as a special guy or someone that was a legit number one. When he has a number one guy to help create space for him hes solid as a number 2 but everyone talks him up as some great weapon and hes just not, hes living off an undeserved reputation as a great receiver when he never was. Great post though.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Wayne is basically a slower, slightly tougher version of Marvin Harrison. Harrison had elite speed but didn't offer anything after the catch if any defenders were near. And he disappeared in the playoffs way worse than Wayne. Reggie has at least had OK games and a few great ones. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure Harrison has never had a single impact game in the post season. When there are other weapons on the field with him, or when there is time for the play to develop and he can gain separation he can do some great things but no, he is not on the same level as the bigger, stronger WRs that can create on their own.

My biggest concern with him is the drops this year. He has dropped some seriously easy passes. He and Manning have had a hard enough time making plays as it is so when he gets the easy ones he needs to bring them in.

I can't argue with the Colts being soft but the poor play this year is absolutely a product of injuries. That isn't the only factor, but it is a big one.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I'm a firm believer that no one has beat the Packers this year but themselves. Am I being a homer here? I don't know, maybe? But, has anyone non biased watched every Packers' loss?

Sure, you could say that about every team and partially get away with it but having watched every Green Bay game this year, it's pretty obvious. We don't run the ball with our power back on short downs. We abandon our run game too quickly and force it in the play call to try to set something up down the line. Everything seemed out of place in Atlanta. Halfway through the second quarter, I'm sure every Packers' fan had the same feeling, and it wasn't a good one. We see how we play when we lose and it shows early and often.

It's the running game. Rodgers had to do everything himself vs ATL, and seeing as how Finley is out now too it's like the red zone plays inside the 5 are all QB sneaks or QB draws. No RB or TE to get an easy conversion or get an easy 1st down.

I'd have Green Bay right up there if not for that, I don't know why Thompson wasn't more aggressive in finding a RB. Starks isn't ready yet, and while Lynch isn't a world beater he's an upgrade which I think in paying a 3rd or 4th rounder was worth it for a shot at winning the Super Bowl.

I mean in the Jamaal Charles thread they were just showing how you took Brian Brohm and Pat Lee all before the middle of the 3rd round. I don't think a proven guy who fits exactly what you need was a bad risk to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As of now, I would have the Steelers as lurking, but when late December rolls around, I'd put them as contenders. 1) Aaron Smith comes back 2) Big Ben and 3) the Steelers know how to win in the playoffs no matter where they play. The OL arguement will come up and it's a valid one, but their OL has always sucked since most of 2006 and they still continue to be a winning football team despite their glaring weaknesses. Will it continue? I have no clue, but history does repeat itself.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
scrooge847

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
The Ravens are at a distinct disadvantage offensively though. Because clearly Cam Cameron thinks since they have a first round QB then they need to throw the ball 70% of the time instead of handing it off to their beast of a RB.
I think this is my favorite stupid myth of the 2010 season. The Ravens are fifth in the NFL in rush attempts and have MORE rush attempts per game than they did last season.