Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
A lot of people seem to be praising Anderson and knocking the reporter about this. It's confusing.
It's really a very very weird problem.

On one hand, it's really no one's business what was said on the sidelines. If you're down a large number of points, you're not going to just go make a "let's go guys... we can win this still" speech to your team-mates. I really didn't see the game so I have no idea when this happened (what point in the game), but if you are down 18 in the 4th with nothing going right all game, it's over.

At the same time, if this is the second quarter, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or any quarterback worth it's salt would have been in his team-mates faces telling them they needed to execute better. Sadly, DA isn't worth anything and no one would take him serious if he did that.

So really, when you are asking those kinds of questions, you have to remember who you are asking them to. Would you listen to DA if he told you to "get off your ass and block???" without being tempted to say something like "try throwing the ball to our guys this time..."
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
It's really a very very weird problem.

On one hand, it's really no one's business what was said on the sidelines. If you're down a large number of points, you're not going to just go make a "let's go guys... we can win this still" speech to your team-mates. I really didn't see the game so I have no idea when this happened (what point in the game), but if you are down 18 in the 4th with nothing going right all game, it's over.

At the same time, if this is the second quarter, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or any quarterback worth it's salt would have been in his team-mates faces telling them they needed to execute better. Sadly, DA isn't worth anything and no one would take him serious if he did that.

So really, when you are asking those kinds of questions, you have to remember who you are asking them to. Would you listen to DA if he told you to "get off your ass and block???" without being tempted to say something like "try throwing the ball to our guys this time..."
That's exactly why they were laughing. Deuce said "try throwing to our guys next time" then the whole sideline burst out laughing. Ken Wisenhunt nearly hyper-ventolated at it all. It was a great big laugh had by all.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah the reporter was an *** and wouldnt drop it, and its nice to see someone in the media get shat on when they do this stuff all the time, rewording the question and being pushy arrogant busy body ***holes. He shoulda let it go but it was still a valid question that DA basically had no answer for but in the end his answer wouldnt have mattered.
Reporters know that a on-camera meltdown makes great copy & gets them kudos & maybe raises from their bosses. They've even been known to dg under a fresh scab for blood, ever see the locker rm. interview with Ryan Leaf after he had a horrible game for the Bolts? They ganged up on him & helped launch the beginning of the end of his NFL career b/c they could get in his head, push his buttons & promote the meltdown speech.

Since the Leaf disaster teams have counseled players with questionable controls on their tempers or just kept them away from microphones & the media, although I'm not sure that applies to Bret Favre, he seems to say whatever sillyassed thing that wanders into his mind in post game interviews mixed in with all the whining.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwight Howard as Derrick Anderson
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Reporters know that a on-camera meltdown makes great copy & gets them kudos & maybe raises from their bosses. They've even been known to dg under a fresh scab for blood, ever see the locker rm. interview with Ryan Leaf after he had a horrible game for the Bolts? They ganged up on him & helped launch the beginning of the end of his NFL career b/c they could get in his head, push his buttons & promote the meltdown speech.

Since the Leaf disaster teams have counseled players with questionable controls on their tempers or just kept them away from microphones & the media, although I'm not sure that applies to Bret Favre, he seems to say whatever sillyassed thing that wanders into his mind in post game interviews mixed in with all the whining.

Yeah i know the media looks for great footage and if their isnt any they try to create it, its a very low business imo.

But at least the interviewer can claim he was doing his job, DA cant say that...

And my big problem with it is that DA was laughing and stuff but its not like hes great and just had one of those days, he blows on a regular basis and continually screws the team over. 'heart and soul into this' my ***, if he put that much into it HED HAVE MADE ANY KIND OF IMPROVEMENT TO HIS GAME OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
Yeah i know the media looks for great footage and if their isnt any they try to create it, its a very low business imo.

But at least the interviewer can claim he was doing his job, DA cant say that...

And my big problem with it is that DA was laughing and stuff but its not like hes great and just had one of those days, he blows on a regular basis and continually screws the team over. 'heart and soul into this' my ***, if he put that much into it HED HAVE MADE ANY KIND OF IMPROVEMENT TO HIS GAME OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS.
If he was worth a damn as a player he wouldn't be laughing. If Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip rivers etc are down by that much to San Francisco, does anyone think they're laughing and joking??? No way. Derek Anderson is a joke of a QB. From the fan's point of view they want to know why he's laughing it up when the team's doing **** all. The reporter had every right to ask it

Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 AM    (permalink
jsa230
Rookie

jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When i watched this, it reminded me of my 14 year old cousin when he doesnt get his way. DA=DB, but atleast he made the reporter look like more of a douche than himself.

On Andrew Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.
jsa230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The first thing I thought of when watching it was Coors Light commercial.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If he was worth a damn as a player he wouldn't be laughing. If Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip rivers etc are down by that much to San Francisco, does anyone think they're laughing and joking??? No way. Derek Anderson is a joke of a QB. From the fan's point of view they want to know why he's laughing it up when the team's doing **** all. The reporter had every right to ask it

Yeah i dont think its right if the fans in the stands are more impacted and down about the play of the team than the QB, thats not good.

I guess its not entirely rare though, we expect players to care as much as we do but the fact of the matter is not all of them do. You really think this was every single guys passion? Or he just happened to be good at it and kept playing to make a living. Its sad but a lot of fans are much more attached to their teams than the players are.

Like in your example: Brady, Peyton etc live football and love it. DA does not.

Last edited by hockey619 : 12-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
Yeah i dont think its right if the fans in the stands are more impacted and down about the play of the team than the QB, thats not good.
I'm simply assuming he knows damn right he's not going to be in Arizona next year and no one will want him as their starting QB and he's clocked out mentally

Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How were the browns so good in 07-08 with this guy? I know Edwards made some ridiculous catches but still he has fallen so far from even being a serviceable QB.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

That one good, fluke year from Anderson and the attention that came from it happened for several reasons...

1. The Browns overachieved for the amount of talent they had on defense that year
2. Had Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards to throw to
3. Threw A LOT of deep balls to Braylon instead of being smart and checking down occasionally (should have had way more picks)
4. The AFC North had a down year so the Browns got bumped up into playoff contention
5. Teams hadn't yet caught on to his tendencies (back up QB syndrome)

I'm a believer that Anderson really hasn't "lost it", he never had it imo. He's never been more than a statue QB with a big arm who struggles to read coverage. He had one lucky year in an almost perfect situation to make himself some money, and it worked out for him. Once teams had enough game footage of him and studied him more he became extremely ineffective.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when the Browns had Anderson and Quinn and thought they had 2 franchise QB's just didn't know who to pick. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
How were the browns so good in 07-08 with this guy? I know Edwards made some ridiculous catches but still he has fallen so far from even being a serviceable QB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by will99890 View Post
That one good, fluke year from Anderson and the attention that came from it happened for several reasons...

1. The Browns overachieved for the amount of talent they had on defense that year
2. Had Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards to throw to
3. Threw A LOT of deep balls to Braylon instead of being smart and checking down occasionally (should have had way more picks)
4. The AFC North had a down year so the Browns got bumped up into playoff contention
5. Teams hadn't yet caught on to his tendencies (back up QB syndrome)

I'm a believer that Anderson really hasn't "lost it", he never had it imo. He's never been more than a statue QB with a big arm who struggles to read coverage. He had one lucky year in an almost perfect situation to make himself some money, and it worked out for him. Once teams had enough game footage of him and studied him more he became extremely ineffective.
Key, but truth is, DA played very well for a 12gm stretch that year. His quick release helped the Oline and his strong arm stretched the field opening up the running game for J.Lewis. The OC Chudzinski crafted an offense to take advantage of everyone's strengths remarkably well. Winslow, Jurevicius and Edwards stayed healthy and caught everything thrown they're way. DA was more consistent with his accuracy then he's ever been since. Even so, I cringed on every downfield pass that year because his reads could be entirely off. Browns had a very easy schedule. Oddly enough had Edwards not regressed and Jurevicius not gotten staphed in 08-09, DA remains a Brown and might be looked at differently right now-he started out 08-09 fairly well.

The guy is kind of an enigma because all the tools are there. He can throw on the run, cannon arm with the ability to make every throw-great size-is a competitor and reads coverage well enough, although he's badly fooled at times. Physically his only problem is ball placement-probably caused by bad feet/slow footwork. But his biggest problem is mental. My take is that DA is the kind of guy that plays best when no expectations are placed on him. He's the definition of a unreliable QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 12-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I remember when the Browns had Anderson and Quinn and thought they had 2 franchise QB's just didn't know who to pick. Good times.
I think the best part were the comparisons to the Drew Brees/Philip Rivers situation...
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote