Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand why the Broncos want to trade Al Wilson, but I think his importance to the defense has been explained enough in previous posts.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we draft Paul P, Poz-Pierce-Wilson would be one of the greatest LB corps in the NFL... Add that to our already outstanding D line...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Come on Nolan, give Denver a call.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
dhoe20
Rookie

dhoe20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I have some info for you guys-

The Broncos are interested in DE Justin Tuck in this deal, maybe a late round draft pick in addition. This would be more of a salary cap move than a football move. Corey Webster's name is also being thrown around along with William Joseph.

Wilson would likely br brought in to play SLB as he is better suited to make the change to the outside than Pierce is.
Swear if they trade Willie Joe I'll cream my pants.
dhoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't doubt Denver being interested in Tuck, but it'll be more than him and a late-round pick in a deal to acquire him. Denver doesn't even save two million if he's traded, so it's not much savings now, but in the future it is. So, Number 10 is wrong on that, it's really not a cap savings move because if players are involved it doesn't mean much.

I couldn't see more than a second going for Wilson, but I'm sure Denver will get a nice offer. They rape in trades anyways.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
I think the move that will get DJ out of SAM is getting rid of Gold. I think Williams is a better Will then ILB, no?
WLB is his natural position, so yes, he'd be happy taking over Gold's spot. However, I think he's a great fit in the middle - he's a sideline-to-sideline kind of player with cover skills. I can see him growing to control the center of the field quite effectively. It's been a total waste to have him stuck battling it out on the strong side - just getting him out of there will be like recovering a 1st round pick...

The upcoming draft gives Shanny the opportunity to pick up a natural Sam, and Nate Webster can probably carry the load in the short term. Seems like a decent plan to me (assuming we fleece the Giants in the trade ;))
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I don't understand why the Broncos want to trade Al Wilson, but I think his importance to the defense has been explained enough in previous posts.
Why trade him?

1. He's in decline
2. He's been bothered by injuries
3. He still has trade value

No question, it would be a major emotional hit, but Shanny is ruthless - if he can get good value, he'll make the trade.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leave it to the Broncos to sign a dozen free agents and not leave enough cash to pay the soul of their defense.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3projectPAT6 View Post
Al Wilson is the broncos.
Youre joking right? I mean I know Al Wilson is the soul of the defense and Im a big fan of his. But Al Wilson IS the Broncos? You must be kidding. Its not like he was there when they were winning SBs or something.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess all the offseason rumors surrounding him had something to it. His name had been tossed around in rumors for awhile, but I assumed it was the other team asking, not the Broncos offering.

For the Giants - Odd. Pierce would stay in the middle, and I like Al Wilson, but this goes against the getting younger moves that Jerry Reese has focused on this offseason. I think Al can transition outside just fine, especially with how the LB's would probably get utilized. In the end, it'll depend on the cost. If they are assuming they contract burden, then I can't see them doing this for any more than, say, a 3rd round value.

For the Broncos - Talent wise, they won't lose that much. DJ, as others have noted, has been horribly under utilized. Leadership wise, it is a concern. That being said, let's not overrate this idea of "losing leaders" as being significantly detrimental. Plenty of teams cut veterans, move on, and survive. This was a defense that was going to go through changes as it adapts to Jim Bates anyways, and while I thought Al Wilson would've worked real well similar to Nick Barnett and Zach Thomas, assuming a similar scheme usage, it still would've been an adjustment.

Is it for the salary purposes? It seems like a convenient excuse ... but considering how long his name has been out there (granted, the bulk of the rumors was with Washington), I really wonder if it's simply more just getting rid of someone at a high cost before the player begins to decline. I also wonder if this is an effort to try and get another asset to try and push up in the draft, particularly, with Washington, since Washington, depending on the rumors, wasn't going to go for their original offer and didn't need Al Wilson.

Will this trade go through? Who knows. There's always a lot of rumors, so we'll see how it plays out. That being said, don't you just get the feeling that, even if this doesn't go through, they'll move him to another team at some point? If they do move him, at some point in the draft, probably day 2, they'd likely make a move for a LB. Off the top of my head, the depth charts are fairly thin after the starting trio. Only person I can think of is Nate Webster, and he really shouldn't be a starter. They'd perhaps take a look at veteran FA's available now or with cuts that come on down the line.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:14 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how I fell about this trade. This one has my had spinning. Al Wilson is a great player but for how much longer. I'd hate to lose Justin Tuck as well.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson would play SAM for us. At SAM, he'd have a good 3 years of production I would assume at least.

However, this is a stark contrast to what Reese is doing with the Giants, ie the youth movement. I don't know if this actually happens.

Pierce cannot play outside. He's a pure run thumping MIKE. Theres no other position for him to play.

I like Tuck, and I actually think barring injuries, he's more suited to play LE than Kiwi is. Kiwi is more of a situational pass rusher DE right now, and if the rumors are true, will play a hybrid SAM role like Julian Peterson did at WILL for the Seahawks this past year.

I rather stay away from Wilson. Quite frankly, Im tired of FA moves, and I want the Giants to go youth movement through the draft from now on. This would be a desperation move, and one that isn't worth it in the long run imo.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The Broncos are interested in DE Justin Tuck in this deal, maybe a late round draft pick in addition. This would be more of a salary cap move than a football move. Corey Webster's name is also being thrown around along with William Joseph.

Wilson would likely br brought in to play SLB as he is better suited to make the change to the outside than Pierce is.
He would be moving to play WILL not SAM.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I saw that report at BBI as well, but that makes no sense. We have two young guys that could play WILL in Wilkinson and Blackburn. All we have is Torbor at SAM, and I've seen reports that said the Giants are ok with Wilkinson starting going into the season. If Wilson was to play an OLB position to me strongside fits better.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post

Thats what Garafolo says....but I was told Wilson is being viewed as a SAM, the Giants already have a WILL that willl likely start (Wilkinson) and they are interested in this class' WILLs such as Poz, Timmons, and Beason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Chiefs fan I hope they do trade him and as a football fan I have to say WTF is Denver thinking?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3projectPAT6 View Post
furious... absolutely furious... YOU. DONT. TRADE. AL. WILSON. EVER!!!!!!

he is the heart of our Defence and has another 4 great years left. if this goes through i may never forgive shannahan. this is disgusting.

EVER

10char
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

look at my god damn sig... the dude is the sole of the broncos, is happy as ever, and is a great teammate

al, take a pay cut!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
the dude is the sole of the broncos, is happy as ever, and is a great teammate

al, take a pay cut!
If he is the sole of your team and still playing lights out why should he take a pay cut?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:

damn justin tuck, i didnt like him as a prospect, and i dont like him as a player... and ooooo a late round draft pick, sounds promising..
and we dont need a damn corner we have dre bly and that dude playing on the left
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
If he is the sole of your team and still playing lights out why should he take a pay cut?
because he loves the team, and is the sole of our team and plays lights out every game
Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
because he loves the team, and is the sole of our team and plays lights out every game
Ya that makes since hey Al thanks for playing lights out every game for us and being our heart on D want to take a pay cut???
Old 03-23-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Ya that makes since hey Al thanks for playing lights out every game for us and being our heart on D want to take a pay cut???
its an attachment. you see what rod smith did?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
damn justin tuck, i didnt like him as a prospect, and i dont like him as a player... and ooooo a late round draft pick, sounds promising..
and we dont need a damn corner we have dre bly and that dude playing on the left
If we somehow convince Shannahan to take Corey Webster and William Joseph for Wilson, I will laugh for 3 straight days non stop.

As for Tuck, he's a good player with lots of promise...IF he can stay healthy. He's had durability concerns his whole career. Strahan has helped mold him into a good player though, and if he can stay on the field, he'll be a solid LE.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
its an attachment. you see what rod smith did?
Rod is past his prime and knows it Al is still a pro bowl LB.