Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
According to the value chart, a trade down in the first, and an extra third, has the value of a high second. I could, hypothetically, see a team doing this to obtain Turner's rights to lock him up long term, rather than compete with a myriad of teams next year in a bidding war. Besides, Green Bay needs a strong runner this year, not next year. This year's draft doesn't look very strong for second round backs, if that's what GB is targeting.
I dunno what chart you're using but I have a late 1st.

Either way, runningbacks are not like quarterbacks. Nobody is that concerned with "locking up his rights" when you can just sign somebody else or draft another guy in the 3rd or 4th round that could likely get you the same type of production.

GM's regard most runningbacks like they do washcloths nowadays.

I realize that you're a Chargers fan and you want to get as much as you can, I just don't see it happening.

I would say a mid 2nd is possible (or the swapping of the two 1sts). Anything more than that is stupid. But...it only takes one stupid GM (see Houston) so you are correct in saying that it potentially could happen.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Nobody's gonna give you anything more than a round 2 pick for a RB that will be a FA in a year anyway. Nobody is that dumb. You'll be lucky to even get a 3rd for him. Shaun Alexander didn't go for a 2nd, what makes you think Turner will with only 1 year left on his contract? Not happening.
It's sort of a take it or leave it situation. AJ isn't surrendering Turner for peanuts, otherwise he wouldn't have tendered him for a 1st and a 3rd.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
It's sort of a take it or leave it situation. AJ isn't surrendering Turner for peanuts, otherwise he wouldn't have tendered him for a 1st and a 3rd.
I know, but I think if someone offered him a late 2nd on draft day, he'd be hard pressed to refuse it. He knows he can't afford to resign Turner at the end of the year, so he might as well get something out of it rather than nothing.

He could technically in turn use that pick to get a Kenny Irons type of RB and not miss a beat.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I know, but I think if someone offered him a late 2nd on draft day, he'd be hard pressed to refuse it. He knows he can't afford to resign Turner at the end of the year, so he might as well get something out of it rather than nothing.

He could technically in turn use that pick to get a Kenny Irons type of RB and not miss a beat.
Yeah, it's better to get something than to just see him walk

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's been some talk that the Chargers have lowered their asking price to a 2nd rounder (a swapping of 1st rounder, like guru suggested, would also be possible I'm betting). If this is the case, I think Green Bay needs to make the deal.

Unless they deal up, something I don't believe Thompson has ever done in the 1st round, they probably aren't going to land either Lynch or Peterson. This leaves them with a massive hole at runningback, and Turner would probably be a solid fit in Green Bay.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I dunno what chart you're using but I have a late 1st.

Either way, runningbacks are not like quarterbacks. Nobody is that concerned with "locking up his rights" when you can just sign somebody else or draft another guy in the 3rd or 4th round that could likely get you the same type of production.

GM's regard most runningbacks like they do washcloths nowadays.

I realize that you're a Chargers fan and you want to get as much as you can, I just don't see it happening.

I would say a mid 2nd is possible (or the swapping of the two 1sts). Anything more than that is stupid. But...it only takes one stupid GM (see Houston) so you are correct in saying that it potentially could happen.

It should all be the same chart -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2410670

The difference in #16 and #30, plus #80, is 570, which puts you right between the #33 and #34 picks in the second round. If it's just a swap of thirds like some have said, that puts the value further down in the second round. So you can decide for yourself if Turner is worth a 2nd.

It's not too bad a deal for the Packers, considering they still have a first, a second, and just filled their RB need. In this draft, I think Turner is worth it; color me biased, but I think Turner at 5'10'', 235 pounds with speed and a guady career YPC is better than Michael Bush, Kenny Irons, Brandon Jackson, Antonio Pittman or whoever else.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
There's been some talk that the Chargers have lowered their asking price to a 2nd rounder (a swapping of 1st rounder, like guru suggested, would also be possible I'm betting). If this is the case, I think Green Bay needs to make the deal.

Unless they deal up, something I don't believe Thompson has ever done in the 1st round, they probably aren't going to land either Lynch or Peterson. This leaves them with a massive hole at runningback, and Turner would probably be a solid fit in Green Bay.
That would be their best option

Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

id swap 1st's and give a 3rd for him
Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
id swap 1st's and give a 3rd for him
But if you look at the trade value chart swapping 1st should be enough

Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
But if you look at the trade value chart swapping 1st should be enough
i think AJ Smith will be reluctant to deal for that
Old 03-23-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
i think AJ Smith will be reluctant to deal for that
Well then next offseason he can watch Turner walk away for nothing

Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Turner over all the backs this year other than Peterson and Lynch. I don't see the switch 1st and give up a 3rd as realistic because his value is more of a mid second. The best I can see them getting is switching 1st and 3rd with someone.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where do you get anywhere from there that they would give their first for him?

Don't get me wrong, as a Bears fan I would **** my pants if the Packers were stupid enough to give up a 1st for Turner, but I think that's wishful thinking.
You would regret that **** my friend. Turner is a beast, I think any team would hate to see him enter their division. I guarantee that if Turner is a starter this coming year, he has a bigger impact than any rookie RB other than maybe AD.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
This was also mentioned on Sirius Thursday. They said the rumor was that the Chargers would accept a 2nd rounder.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I'd take Turner over all the backs this year other than Peterson and Lynch. I don't see the switch 1st and give up a 3rd as realistic because his value is more of a mid second. The best I can see them getting is switching 1st and 3rd with someone.
I agree that Turner is better than everyone in this draft except for the top 2

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wait didn't san diego say they wanted at least a first for him, cuz he's probably worth that

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

Pretty cool, I think Michael Turner is a very talented player.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
wait didn't san diego say they wanted at least a first for him, cuz he's probably worth that
He's not worth a 1st! Plus nobody would give up a 1st, they would rather wait and see if he makes it to free agency next year

Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Turner = Lamont Jordan

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just saying because all I saw was big runs, probably because I'm on the east coast, but I think he has potential, and Lamont Jordan is absolutely terrible, there is no way he's that bad

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Lamont Jordan was pretty good as a backup. That is a fair comparison.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
I'm just saying because all I saw was big runs, probably because I'm on the east coast, but I think he has potential, and Lamont Jordan is absolutely terrible, there is no way he's that bad
Lamont Jordan was a great backup to Curtis Martin with the Jets and was constantly involved in trade rumors. There were even people advocating cutting or forcing retirement on Curtis Martin so that they wouldn't lose Jordan.

It's easily to have a high YPC when you're only running the ball 7-8 times per game.

I personally think Turner will be a good starting runningback (and don't think Jordan is terrible either) but to assume that just because he's done well as a backup to the best runningback in the league means that he'll do as well elsewhere is unfounded.

And how old are you? Do you not remember Jordan pre-Raiders?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I dont wanna see him on such a boring team like green bay.. i'd rather see him on a team like Tennessee or sumn but i guess noone else needs an RB
What do u mean by Green Bay being a boring team? What exactly makes an NFL team boring? Just Curious.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Lamont Jordan was a great backup to Curtis Martin with the Jets and was constantly involved in trade rumors. There were even people advocating cutting or forcing retirement on Curtis Martin so that they wouldn't lose Jordan.

It's easily to have a high YPC when you're only running the ball 7-8 times per game.

I personally think Turner will be a good starting runningback (and don't think Jordan is terrible either) but to assume that just because he's done well as a backup to the best runningback in the league means that he'll do as well elsewhere is unfounded.

And how old are you? Do you not remember Jordan pre-Raiders?
That's kinda a low blow if somebody's on here and they don't remember Jordan as a Jet

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrider30 View Post
What do u mean by Green Bay being a boring team? What exactly makes an NFL team boring? Just Curious.
Maybe he doesn't like cheese.